Anyone have a Blaupunkt Cassette Recorder? | FerrariChat

Anyone have a Blaupunkt Cassette Recorder?

Discussion in '308/328' started by detroiter, Feb 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. detroiter

detroiter Karting

Apr 30, 2013
    Munich, Bayern
    Full Name:
    Carter
    #1 detroiter, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just took my radio out to clean the contacts and such in it... the Volume knob makes scratchy sounds when you turn it.
    Was wondering if anyone else has this radio in their car... mine is a 79 308 and I have an idea this was installed by the selling dealer. It's a Blaupunkt CR-4095 cassette recorder with an external handheld microphone. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have an old coffee table Ferrari book that shows one of those in a 308.

3. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a '78 with that same radio.

What truly amazes me is that the clock is still ticking after 39 years. :):)

4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The volume issue can probably be fixed by spraying tuner cleaner in the volume control (rheostat). Noisy volume controls are very common. If you want to keep using it.

5. detroiter

detroiter Karting

Apr 30, 2013
    Munich, Bayern
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Yep that's what I did... sprayed contact cleaner in the rheostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. flavioleon

flavioleon Karting

Dec 21, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    #6 flavioleon, Feb 23, 2017
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Pull the knobs off. Unscrew the fasteners that surround the stalks the knobs were on and pull off the face plate. You should see what is going on in there holding the unit in.

8. flavioleon

flavioleon Karting

Dec 21, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    Thanks Cosgrove ..... I"ll try it this w.e.

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #9 DGS, Feb 23, 2017
    In those days, radios typically didn't have a full DIN rectangular cut-out, but had two holes for the knob shafts and a smaller rectangle between the knobs.
    They were held in by hex nuts on the threaded hollow pipes for the knob controls.
    The "all-thread" knob pipes would fit through the car panel and possibly the faceplate, and have hex nuts securing the radio.
    The faceplate was sometimes held on by additional hex nuts in front of those holding the radio to the panel.
    If the unit was deep enough, it would also sometimes have a strap holding up the back.

If the unit is original, it might have been fastened that way.

Since the rectangle tends to be different sizes for different radios, in older cars, repeated cuts for different radios might have cut away too much of the car panel, and it might have a separate plate in front of the car panel to hold the radio.
    If they did a quick DIY job, it might only be the faceplate trying to hold the radio in. (But it'd be a bit wobbly, unless they used a pair of rear straps to stabilize it.)

Trying to unfasten the rear straps is where the Dash Samurais get your hands. ;)

Today, radios now use rectangular docks which are fitted via metal tabs to the rectangular DIN panel opening (again, with an optional rear strap).
    But in ye olde days, the radio held itself to a car panel with two circles and a rectangle.

Of course, my 328 had already been converted to DIN for an Alpine when I got it, so the replacement also used a DIN dock.

(I've been putting 8-tracks, cassettes, and plain AM/FM radios in my cars since a '63 Mopar. ;))

Attached are diagrams from older Blaupunkts (one with separate amp pod) -- from a Porsche 356 site --, but it gives you the idea.