Correct material selection for o ring inside the end of the exhaust cam? | FerrariChat

Correct material selection for o ring inside the end of the exhaust cam?

Discussion in '308/328' started by jdamon, Feb 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I need an o ring, part number 118018, but it is not in stock at ricambi, and seems like something I should be able to get through McMaster easy enough. My question is which material is most appropriate? I assume viton is a good choice, but there are a few different types of that. There is soft and hard, and square, and x shape. And then there are other polymers completely. It resides inside the cam shaft, so high heat and exposure to oil are the criteria. Any advice on the material would be appreciated, thanks!

2. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #2 jdamon, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Looks like viton (medium softness) is a reasonable choice, McMaster makes it pretty easy, I just have to order a pack of 50! At least it's only $6

3. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Don't think so, part number was confirmed with Daniel at Ricambi, and I learned through McMaster that the last three numbers are the size of the o ring. It's called the "dash number". So maybe that's why there is another part with the same number?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Buy extras. You will probably wreck a few figuring out how to install.

5. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    50 should be enough :).

6. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The one that is on there currently is blue/green color, is there any significance to that? I know the color can sometimes identify the material, but blu/green was not an option from mcmaster

7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I've seen viton in blue, green, orange, brown and mostly black-- no significance. What was the McMaster number? Can you mail me a few-- trade for liner o-rings or viton stem seals. thanks, derek

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do you have an 83? Only 308 it is used on.

9. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Cam end oring. I use Viton 18x23x2.5 for part number 101031 on my 82 308GTSi

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    82 doesn't use it either. Reread my prior post.

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Sorry, thought it might be same as '79.

12. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    118018 is listed in stock at Maranello Classic Parts for $1.59 each.

13. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks dflett! I will check them out

14. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I was really just trying to learn a little bit about material compatability so that I can buy o rings (or seals etc) from a parts supplier that doesn't necessarily specialize in Ferrari. I have a nice caliper, and McMaster is sweet. A lot of the o rings, seals, tubing, bearings, and hardware (nuts bolts etc), are common to many other applications.

I know viton will work, but I am still curious if there is any advantage to a different material or shape? Kind of like Verrel's quad seals (which are just o rings in the "X" cross sectional shape. I am pretty sure I saw a post somewhere, where some one used that style o ring (the X) for the cam seals. The square shape also seamed like it could have advantages as well. Maybe some of you guys have tried this already?

15. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff

I just measured the o ring with my caliper and what I thought was the dash number is not correct. It was close, and I did not have the o ring or caliper at work, so I thought maybe that's how they came up with the part number, but no.

16. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    For the other 3 guys with USA spec 83' qv's (with smog equipment in tact...)

The size for that o ring part number 118018 is 3/8" id x 1/2" od with a thickness of 1/16" dash number 012. The viton fluoroelastomer rubber version is part number 9464k17 for a pack of 100 through McMaster $6.82

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I would be surprised if the correct part is not in metric dimensions.

18. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It is a European car, so most likely it is metric sizing, but...

I got the size by measuring the o ring I took off (in mm), and then converted to inches and chose the one that was closest. I am assuming that the one I took off was the correct part, but who knows.

Bell metric probably has one specifically in metric size. I will check for fun.

19. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Belmetric does not have them

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Measuring an old, hard, compressed, failed O ring? New one on me.

I can't believe you have wasted so much energy trying to avoid buying the correct part from a Ferrari parts vendor of which there are many to choose from to save fifty cents.

And people ask me why I steer clients away from owner maintained cars.

21. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    It is a metric O-ring and you will never be able to establish the correct size by measuring the old one other than by luck. I would never gamble with such a cheap part. Small leak after assembly and your savings are lost by far. Maybe someone that knows the correct size can chime in.

Best Peter

22. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Ferrari has a total of 3 part numbers that are the same size, 118018, 95860042 and 14452981. Google "OR 2037" under British Standard O-ring sizes.

23. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You are tough one to please Brian. When I was asking for help, you said nothing. When I found a reasonable alternative, you are chastising me. I measured both the shear shaft and o ring, and the o ring is not hard at all. It is not failed either, I am changing it because I have it all apart already. I figured in the fact that is most likely a little smaller from being compressed. I am going to order "the correct" part and post pics and dimensions of both. My thought is that many vendors are sourcing a suitable replacement, especially on an old car. I may be wrong. But the reason I post any question on here is to learn, and your insults are not appreciated. If you have information you would like to share, then by all means share. I am incredibly careful, ask when I have questions, and consult professional mechanics when needed. I wasn't aware that this o ring was such a critical component of this car.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017

Hey dumb ass, if I had known the size I'd have told you just like I have for hundreds of others here. What I was trying to do was help you get the right part and save you from doing something dumb. I was trying to get you to understand there are other suppliers out there and if you had gotten off your dead ass and called T Rutlands and talked to Brian you would have had an answer. Yea, you know, a real live Ferrari parts guy?

F off.

25. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Classy. You were not helping me at all, you were trolling, then telling me I am stupid after I figured out an alternative plan. Let's keep in mind we are talking about a non critical o ring that is specific to one model year. Sometimes it's more convenient to be able to source parts from somewhere else. I get it, it's easy to source one from a Ferrari parts supplier, but some time in the future it may not be. It's nice to have alternatives. I hope you get a lot of satisfaction out of being such a jerk :).

A couple other folks chimed in above with the same thought, but without the attitude. It's a shame, as you are obviously very knowledgeable, I think you have been on here too long and have lost your patience.