How many of us ended up here because of the Magnum PI TV show | FerrariChat

How many of us ended up here because of the Magnum PI TV show

Discussion in '308/328' started by Yellow Compass, Feb 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    #1 Yellow Compass, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi everyone I was just wondering , how many of us ended up here as current Ferrari owners or soon-to-be Ferrari owners because how cool Tom Selleck always looked driving his beautiful 308 Ferrari . From the first time I watched the show and watched that 308 peel out on the opening credits I was luckily never able to get that visual out of my mind 😍 I always felt while watching the show hey I'm that guy !! I just didn't have the bread $$ at that time to buy that sweet ride ! It only took another 25 years lol!
    Mike

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    It definitely influenced my decision. I loved the show as a teenager. The clincher for me was when I started my apprenticeship, my boss had friend with an 83 GTS (this was in 1987) and he took me for a ride in it (after inspecting me for dirt and instructing me not to touch ANYTHING) and that was it, I was hooked and promised myself "one day" It took me about 25 years later, but got there in the end. Have loved every minute of my last 3 1/2 years of owning it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Magnum never did a thing for me, although I always watched the show. But one day in 1983 I was at a stop light on the Amazon Parkway in Eugene Oregon in my XKE, and when the light changed a brand new white 308 blasted past. That was all she wrote for me.

4. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Liked the show but I'm just a car guy on a budget. I came in to some cash and could have fixed the kitchen, put on a new roof or what I did. Highly influenced by friend who was CEO of SAAB, he said that the best three words in car guy's vocabulary, "That's my Ferrari."

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Loved the show and it absolutely started my love for Ferrari.

Robb

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    That show played a big part in my love of the marque.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Liked the show but it had no significance to me re owning a Ferrari. That should be obvious since I bought a GTB. Ferrari racing was in my blood look before M Pi aired thanks to Phil Hill, John Surtees, Niki Lauda, etc. But even that's not why I bough a 308. I just liked the way the GTB looked. In fact, when I went into the dealer I nearly walked out because I though GTS looked terrible, top on or off. But the GTB was a work of art. I'd have bought it if had crossed flags or a blue oval on the hood instead of a yellow rectangle with a horse. Same with my 355. That they are Ferraris is both a bonus and a curse. Bonus; resale value. Curse; what is recovered in resale value is lost in maintenance costs.

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm sort of a generation ahead, my fascination with Ferrari began in high school from '69 to '72 or slightly before that. What I always wanted, or at least thought I wanted, was a 246 Dino but fast forward to the future and that wasn't gonna happen so the 308, which was an evolution of the Dino, was the logical next choice. I never really watched Magnum in the 80's, at least not regularly, and didn't actually watch the whole series until a few years ago on Netflix. I mean I liked the show and all but it wasn't an influence in my eventually getting a 308, that was just something that was destined to happen sooner or later.

10. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
  11. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Didn't influence me in the slightest. Never watched the show apart from a couple of episodes. I became an enthusiast from the mid-60's Road & Track magazines. Missed some opportunities for V12s and Dino's due to more compelling interests, at the time early / mid 70's, and came to the 328 as a reliable entry Ferrari when those "missed opportunities" were well beyond my reach. Besides, blue sera isn't "magnum" color.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had 2 308's in the early 80s and it had nothing to do with the show.

13. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    15 years old, I read the Road & Track cover story of Bondurant testing the GTB at Sonoma (Sears Point) and was a goner. It was great that the 308 was featured on Magnum, definitely fed the fire, but I only watched the show because of the 308 and not the other way around. Personally-no, the show had nothing to do with it.

14. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Absolutely.
    Being a teenager in the 80s and watching Magnum, the 308 left an indelible image in my mind of Ferrari.
    Had a poster of a 308 on my wall in the 80s that still hangs in my garage.
    I had several other 80s era cars at the time I purchased the 308 (mostly Porsches).
    I wound up selling them all off as the 308 was my childhood hero and I had no need for the others once I had my holy-grail.

15. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I have never seen Magnum ever. It was shown in the UK but never saw it. Probably some non-US owners were influenced by Magnum but likely the minority. Although I am sometimes asked "was that the same car as Magnum".

Although not as often as I get when with my white Lotus Esprit "Does it go underwater?" which pretty much everyone says.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Almost the same here; the 308 was already well known to us "continental europeans" since 1975. When the show was aired for the first time on the french TV in 1982, I thought that it was nice, and that the producers even had the taste to put a 308 in it, so I find it even better. But I knew the car already, and I don't think that the show played a part in my decision.

Rgds

17. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #18 tinterow, Feb 28, 2017
  18. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I loved the car when I first saw it at the Design Center at GM Holden's in Melbourne, Australia. That was long before Magnum PI came along. Did not hurt though...
    Took me 40+ years to get one, and I enjoy driving it whenever I can. The wrenching is all part of the experience. I really think that the shape is an absolute "classic". Kids love it. Little ones and big ones!

19. Adelphia

Adelphia Rookie

Dec 17, 2015
    Bedford, NY
    Oddly, I have never watched the show, and I'm 56 years old. Took me quite a while to figure out what the "Magnum PI" comments meant. lol

20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #21 kcabpilot, Feb 28, 2017
    I endure the Magnum jokes, I have the Hawaiian shirt and could probably pull off the Detroit Lions baseball cap but not the Navy Seal UDT swim shortrs, at least not in this day and age LoL. They are however available on Amazon if anyone wants to try.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. fernandel

fernandel Rookie

Feb 13, 2011
    absolutely me, i did watch the show every day after school in the eighties.. i got a detroit tigers cap and a team ring too :)

22. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Loved Magnum but was probably more influenced by Miami Vice.

23. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    While I liked the show as a kid, it's not why I got my car. I got my car because of the marque. I wanted a Ferrari, and my 308 was the best fit. I originally thought I wanted a QV, but when I found my 78 - everything said this was the one.

24. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    100% me. I started off loving the Countach (and still do) but the first time I saw a 308 was on that show and I'll never forget it.
    I never thought I'd own a Ferrari, let alone a 308. I still pinch myself sometimes when I see it in the garage. We are a very fortunate bunch, aren't we?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk