328GTB 2000 miles | FerrariChat

328GTB 2000 miles

Discussion in '308/328' started by any_1, Mar 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Is a 328 GTB with only 2000 miles on the clock worth ca USD 220K?

This car is for sale in Sweden
    Ferrari 328 GTB, Unik bil med endast 325 mil! - BytBil

(I have no association to the seller, just curious)

The description tells us that all documentation, toolkit, books are with the car. Including a label with instructions for the clock. Cambelt has been changed....

2. BO67

BO67 Karting

Oct 11, 2016
    Faraway soclose here
    Full Name:
    Its me
    Lol
    today i read the same :) because i watch Prices there too and
    because i have same with 17.000km and thinking when i would sell mine for the half what People would say.
    But very Curious that you have a Car with only 2.000mls , should go to an Auction :)

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Could be worth $220K and seems to have a bit of negotiating factor built into the asking price.

Two years ago when I was in the market, I used to keep track of '86-'88 GTSs by mileage and price and constructed curves thru the data scatter points. Making adjustments (latest Hagerty data today) for (A) the model year (1989 vs 1986-1988), (B) escalation of GTSs prices over the past 2 years, and (C )the GTB:GTS differential, and eyeballing the left side of my graph shows a theoretical minimum value of at least $205K. Of course, the curve is very exponentially steep at this 2,000 mile point. Thus, a $220K asking price is not that outlandish.

4. Adelphia

Adelphia Rookie

Dec 17, 2015
    Bedford, NY
    Yes.

Unless you plan to drive it, then no.

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    +1
    "Unless you plan to drive it, then no." Those would be very expensive miles you would put on.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Poor car.

It will never be used. Ever.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Keep in mind that a US model originally sold for around USD 80K with 0 miles on it. ;)

Back in the late '90s, I saw someone trying to sell a 328 with 300 miles for it for $77K.
    They got no offers.

I remember thinking, "the idiot missed out on ten years of driving it".

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This. And it never will be either.

9. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I bought a 328 GTB three years ago for 75K. Had 11,000 miles on it, now has a little over 15K. Watched the price skyrocket in the first year and a half, and watched the prices come down again. Don't regret DRIVING the car, probably devalued the car five to ten bucks a mile. But frankly it's a great looking car, but you'd have to be sort of weird to think that storing it away and just looking at it, is worth having over 200K in the car. It's NOT that great of a car, to just stare at it. Since buying a 458 spider, it's NOT as much fun to drive anymore either. My wife's Volvo XC60 would blow the 328's doors off, and probably handles as well.

One has to remember the reason the 328GTB's value is higher is they didn't SELL as many new ones. WHY?- no one wanted a Berlinetta, they wanted a Spider. So here we are thirty years later and the cars that languished on the dealers floors, are sought after simply because they're aren't many of them. People that say the GTB handles better, or the lines are "cleaner" blah, blah, blah- are kidding themselves. I have a 328GTS's also and frankly with the top off, in my mind they're the better looking car.

So one would hope that someone that buys the 2000 mile 328GTB DOES drive it. It's a TON of money just to look at it. I know when I'm on my death bed, I'm not gonna be thinking I'm sure glad I didn't put too many miles on my Ferraris!

10. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I always thought that the real 328 is the GTS. I would not have purchased a GTB, myself.

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I respect your viewpoint and opinion, but I would position myself directly opposite of you. Would LOVE a 328 GTB. :)

12. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Well, a few did buy a GTB :)

13. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    And noboby wanted a 60's Ferrari in yearly 70's

Thinks change

14. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1

Anyone want to trade? :)

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, the ratio GTBs to GTSs is very different in Europe vs the US.
    USA got about 2150 GTS versus 135 GTBs (15/1)
    Europe got about 2880 GTS versus 920 GTBs (3/1)
    GTBs are proportionaly five times more numerous in Europe

Some markets even didn't got any GTBs new from the factory at all, Australia, for instance: 152 GTSs, NO GTBs

Rgds

16. R.Robot

R.Robot Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    La Quinta CA.
    Looking back growing up in Southern California I didn't know how lucky I was from a car standpoint.

In the '60's on, cars took off and were everywhere.

Daytona's, Muria's, Stingray's, XKE's, Strato's even. Once while riding my motorcycle on Mulholland Drive, a 904 came flying by!

Another was Steve McQueen racing his 911 past UCLA on the way to the beach, pure poetry.

It was just part of the times and it was great. But when I came to know the 308 GTB that was it for me, plus it was with in reach some day (I hoped).

As for the miles to depreciation conflict and opinions, well it's up to the owner to say.

One note, the highest valued Stradivarius is said to be the one that was never played.

17. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    But "valued" as what?
    As a violin, or as a display piece?

A Strad isn't the sculpture I'd want to put in my entry hall. ;)

In the end, a motor vehicle is a machine designed to go, stop, and turn.
    A Ferrari is valued for its precision in those activities.
    Without motion, it loses the distinct qualities which make it stand out from, say, a Camry.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is designed to serve its owner in whatever capacity he chooses. Anything else is projecting your preferences upon him. Personally I prefer to continue to think of this society as having some freedoms rather than your view.

19. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1

20. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    WOW! Love this car. Great color, great mileage and interior looks incredible.

21. BO67

BO67 Karting

Oct 11, 2016
    Faraway soclose here
    Full Name:
    Its me
    yes the Car ist really cool .

And my personal Viewpoint is that the 328 GTB is one of the most beautiful ones

It looks miles better than the GTS :) My GTB has 10.00 miles and i had an interested buyer yesterday who came with his GTS,and standing beside them we both liked the GTB better
    Everyone has his Favorite and Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder

22. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    I bought my '87 328GTS 9 years ago for $28K and a high 65K miles with the intent of driving it. Now it has nearly 80K miles and is worth about $65K. I had to do the same amount of maintenance and majors as anyone else (I don't skimp on maintaining my car.) I even drove it the 1,700 miles to get it home instead of trailering it. A very nice drive up the California coast. I never would have done that with a low miles garage queen.

I am glad I bought a higher mileage car and got to enjoy it vs keeping it in the garage and not driving it. I guess I am an "enjoyer" not not a collector :)

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I really like that you are so sure your way of enjoyment is the only valid way and everyone else is wrong.

I bought a zero mile car from a collection for top dollar and went out and drove it. Why is everyone so sure that never happens. I help people find cars like that regularly. Some people like getting a car half worn out. Others of us not so much. Have you ever bought a new car? Of any kind? Why would you do something like that?

24. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    It's also a society where people are permitted to express opinions. ;)
    The lack of freedom comes when alternate views are suppressed or shouted down.
    Denouncing views different from your own is insisting that yours is the only "true" view.
    We are stating opinions -- yourself included. This is a world large enough for more than one.
    Otherwise, we'd all be driving "k-cars". :D

You can hang an F1 car on the wall as a display, if you like.

But if you're only looking at it as a view piece, you could get a kit car body and put it on any chassis you wanted.

But, yes, people are not all alike.
    There are people who will buy a Van Gogh and lock it away in a vault.
    And others who are satisfied to hang a print on the wall, rather than worry about preserving the original.
    (And sometimes they might be the same ones -- original in vault, copy on wall.)

Then there are people who insist, "buy land, lease cars".
    Ask a group what the prettiest road car ever is, and you'll get dozens of different opinions.
    (Which has been done on this forum.)

This isn't the playground. You don't have to preface every statement with "Simon says".
    In a relativistic universe, where even time and space is subject to "frame of reference", *any* statement can be assumed to be from an individual perspective.

"...but - and I'm only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing." :p ("Real Genius" 1985)

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Expression of a point of view in no way requires saying the other is wrong. I have never suggested one is not entitled to theirs, they just are not entitled to diminish the opinions of others as you have chosen to do.