GT4 rear seat removal | FerrariChat

GT4 rear seat removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by francisn, Mar 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Anyone know how to remove rear seats from a GT4. Not for mine but for a friend.

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Going from memory here even though I have done it twice.
    Remove center seat belt bolts side seatbelt bolts. Remove headrests nuts from engine compartment. Drill rivets from white leather panel behind headrests. If the inside window trim needs to be removed remove light.remove ceiling left and right ceiling panel sections, they are on plastic clips. Remove tiny screws in left and right corner of rear window.l trim. . I believe the left and right recessed next to the air intakes should be removed next. Careful not to rip the foam underneath. If they don't come out remove side glass weather stripping. The seat should lift slightly upward off the small ledge.sonetumrs the leather from the sides of the seat stick to the leather on the side armrest leather If it won't budge use a wood shim or plastic to slightly pry the two leather surfaces apart. Not sure if the side armrests need to be removed to remove the seat only. I have always removed all the above mentioned when I've sent the car in for paint work. If the side armrests need to be removed the rivets are under the door jamb weather strip. Typing this on my phone. I hope I confused you. When you get the back seat out you will find the build number on the back. Only takes about 20 - 30 min

3. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Great write up, but from memory as well think I just undid the seat belts and the interior side upper panels and just lifted seat if the lip at the back below the window. Dônt think I even had to remove the headrests.

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well ya shoulda chimed in before me! But like I said I've always removed every thing so the body shop can mask properly. But thx

5. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Thanks both. Have conveyed this to a UK owner who was pointed to me by a friend, Andrew at Maranello Classic.

I originally met Andrew and his wife when they came from Australia and brought their 365 GT4+2 with them. They became a regular in our local FOC but although the Queen Mary has been replaced by a 575 they are still enthusiasts and an added bonus is that Andrew works at Maranello Classics.

Andrew knew enough to point this client to me, a GT4 owner, and hopefully I have found an answer to his question.

Great place this!

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thank u

7. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Thanks both,

My friend has now sorted it.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    No problem. What is doing to it?

9. LorenzoT

LorenzoT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2010
    Garden State
    #9 LorenzoT, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Came to this thread to check on to remove the Rear Seat of a USA v.79 Dino308GT4. Now I can add my experience in this issue. There are only two (2) bolts i needed to remove which are the ones in the side pockets at both ends of the seat. The top of this 1979 did not have any top bolts below the headrest, it was hooked on and once the joint between the seat and the side pockets was released it simply lifted up and out.

I wanted to remove it because it seemed to be a slight but foul (urine like) odor from underneath. So i decided to remove the front seats as well and give all a good cleaning and later conditioning treatment. Once i removed the rear seat i found nothing dead only degraded foam glued in place. The smell may have been the foam but most likely the glue. Much of it had released and could be carefully lifted out and trashed but would crumble into powder treated otherwise. The rest was vacuumed off the aluminum and bottom as well as the back side of the fiberglass seat shell.

The center felted box and Seat Belts can be removed after and are separate from the seat itself.

Once removed I replaced the OEM Foam with DYNAMITE "Dynaliner" 11102. It comes in a single sheet (32x54) which is just a perfect amount, and fit on and through the openings to the sides. Selected the 1/4" thickness which could not have been more. Has both Sound Deadening Acoustic Absorption and Thermal Insulating Properties, and is a soft closed cell rubber w/ self adhesive backing. All back together now. Haven't road tested yet but it smells a hell of a lot better. Have more photos to add next Post.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. LorenzoT

LorenzoT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2010
    Garden State
    #10 LorenzoT, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    very cool my post was from memory. And every time I took it apart it was for repaint and i
    wanted to make it easier to mask the door jambs. And yes you don't need to remove the side belts. T A? Probably the person who wrote the number on the back of the seats initials