Lower Rear Suspension Fork Removal | FerrariChat

Lower Rear Suspension Fork Removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by PDB, Mar 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm in the process of rebuilding the rear suspension on my '74 308 GT4 and the front lower forks came out with no problems at all, but he lower rear forks won't budge. I've been dowsing them with WD40 for the past couple of weeks, bashing the ends of the threads with a copper mallet and tried rotating them, but the still won't move.
    Am I missing something, or do I just need a bigger hammer?

Paul

2. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    I had the same problem with one of them. Got lucky that I could still pull the fork without removing it.
    Before you get too crazy look to source replacement forks.
    I have one ready for when I cut that fork off to do an alignment

Have you tried an air hammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Impact air hammer + heat (If needed). If no room for hammer, cut off bolt head and knock it from the other side. I would do the outmost to keep the original fork intact and go for the bolt. Good luck...Best regards

Peter

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Had that on my front lower arm. Did you try inserting a ball joint separator (pickle fork) into the slot below the fork and tapping/hammering that into place. For me, I just needed a bigger hammer. One strike, didn't budge. Two strikes, didn't budge. Three strikes, went flying.

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    With all due respect Wd40 is rubbish compared to penetrating oils that are formulated for this task.

Even the ones that penetrate vary a lot in effectiveness. PB Blaster for example is noticeably better than liquid wrench in my experience (here in the US).

When I had this problem at the front I used a pickle fork to start rotating it slowly back and forth by a few degrees. Eventually it got looser and rotated more freely. Only then did whacking it from behind with a BFH work. It took a couple of hours in total to work loose. I tried penetrants, heat, cold and brute force. Brute force won the day helped by the penetrants and maybe the heat.

It's good advice to source a replacement before hitting it with a lot of heat or a big hammer.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Angle impact will fit nicely. Spin the head while you wedge something in the other side to provide a little pressure.

7. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Can you rotate the fork? If so you will have a chance with penetrating oil and heat are your friends. You could put a long bolt through the hole where the wishbone goes and work back and forth with the combined heat/oil.They can rust in place, if all about patience when I did mine many yrs ago had the same problem. Eventually came out and now they are all easy to replace as I put copper slip when re assemble. The forks are only a bend angle bracket with a bolt welded into them to make the fork. I am not far from you and happy to assist if needed.

8. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the advice. I'm reluctant to start applying heat under the car as although I am cleaning it up, there is still years of accumulated dirt and oil and I don't want it going up in flames. :(

Paul

9. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Heat seems to be the best way that I know of. A small propane gas cylinder and torch attached, and you can vary the size and length of the flame on the torch. If you don't want to use an open flame, try an electric Heat Gun. On the "High" setting they give off a lot of heat. It may take you a bit longer, but that should work...

10. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a heat gun, so that's a good suggestion.

Thanks,
    Paul

11. John F

John F Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    East Lothian, UK
    Full Name:
    John Ferguson
    Careful with the hammer, it's easy to dent the chassis tube if you miss. For heat to work you really have to get it red hot. An alternative to flame is an induction heating tool. You might be able to borrow or rent one as they are really expensive to buy.

12. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mmmm....I'm not sure I'd be comfortable heating the chassis up that much.

Paul

13. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt

Yeah that was supposed to read "pull the A-arm without removing the fork"

Warning all of this steel bends pretty easily. I am convinced that mine remains stuck due to corrosion on the spacers. Someday I will go after it with a sawzall (but I have already sourced a spare fork).
    The fork readily bent when i tried rotating it. It went back but that surprised me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Heat the fork from the wishbone ( outer) side gradually, not the chassis its about expansion/retraction of metals heat and cold. It won't go up in flames, if your that worried take to a garage or mobile guy with oxy actealane and get a very direct flame onto the bolt head from the wishbone outer side. Done it many times over the years.

15. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Gavin,
    That sounds counter-intuitive to me. I would have thought that heating the fork/bolt would make it tighter in the chassis.
    My logic would have been to heat the chassis to expand it away from the bolt.
    Paul

16. John F

John F Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    East Lothian, UK
    Full Name:
    John Ferguson
    If you’re not for using a flame then try the bigger hammer approach. Screw the nut onto the stud thread but not all the way so you will hit the nut, not the thread. This will destroy the nut but protect the thread. Use a really heavy hammer. This is how I got my forks off but my engine was out giving me plenty of swinging room.

17. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    It's about expansion/retraction when the bolt cools it will shrink to size and should eventually work loose. The chassis has a spacer welded through the which holds the bolt, you need to get heat in this as well which the bolt will convect over and then cool, you are breaking down the oxidisation of the 2 surfaces. It will work, I was like you, but when one of our more experienced engineers at work proved it. Being in engineering and we overhaul many types of drivelines, everyday is a school day. We sometimes use LOx at work to cool bolts to fit in specific large MTU engines. also use good old duck penetrating oil not wd40, that is only a water dispelling and has minimal lub

18. John F

John F Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    East Lothian, UK
    Full Name:
    John Ferguson
    #18 John F, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There's a lot of contact area between the fork stud and sleeve. The fronts have much less contact area so are easier to get free.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Your right there John. Rears are a pig if stuck, photo brings back memories the first time I did them. Since then all mine come out quite easily. When you have owned one for over 23 yrs you tend to know where and how to improve things for the future.

20. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    PB Blaster and rotate would be my .02
    Patience and good luck

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Great thread!

22. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I ended up leaving one in place. It would twist back and forth and had a tiny bit of linear movement that was enough to shim the suspension for camber but that was it.

I only had the car on axle stands so I couldn't give it an enormous thump with a hammer. I don't have oxy-acetylene or other such wonders. Should I have another go, I think I would now have the confidence to be a bit braver.

At the time, I shared my pain with Gavin - as always :D

23. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    FWIW the best penetrating mix I have used is equal parts ATF and acetone.Been pulling wrenches for 50 yrs. Mike

24. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've heard of that mixture before. Where can I buy acetone from?

Paul

25. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Nick your Mrs nail varnish remover. Acetone is used to remove it. Though you can get some of Amazon about £7 a bottle. If you buy a lot you might have a visit by the plod as it's an ingredient to make a bomb!!