Not a good day.... | FerrariChat

Not a good day....

Discussion in '308/328' started by PDB, Apr 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 PDB, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We had just set off from home in the GT4 having only just got it back together following a rear suspension rebuild. The traffic was pretty heavy because we were late leaving because my father had taken a bad fall and suffered a pretty serious head injury.
    We were queuing at a roundabout and the car in front pulled away, but while I was looking for the next gap he inexplicably stopped and I ran into the back of him. :(
    I've now got a crumpled front left corner. It isn't too bad, but it's bad enough.

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    A little duck tape and red nail polish and you're good to go! Sorry! Been there done that! Wish our cars were dent proof! :(

3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've been caught out a few times like that, but never had a collision (so far). The problem is, you think the guy in front knows what he's doing, but in actual fact, he's a dickhead. People have got no idea how to drive a roundabout, so now, I wait until the car in front is gone, and then look for traffic. I feel for you mate! Hope all goes well with the repairs - to your dad and the car.

4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Perfect timing to go for the popular American bumper conversion

J/k

Sorry to hear

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    oh my heart!! that sux sorry

6. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    That sucks. Time for a beer or a scotch and contemplate that the car is really not that bad, could have been much worse, can be fixed and no-one is hurt.

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

Now,that is funny.

8. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Sorry to see that, Paul. Looks to be easily fixable, but still sux.

Here's hoping for a quick and full recovery for your dad and a painless repair process for the GT4.

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Ouch, but that was due to a serious distraction. Don't be too hard on yourself and best of luck with the repair. More importantly, best of luck to your dad and family.

10. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Sorry to hear, now its time for that full body off restoration....

11. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the comments and well wishes for my dad.

Paul

12. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Bad luck, happened to me in the past, at least know one was hurt. Car will straighten looks like the bumper is ok as they are hard to source. Don't use chartwell's if insurance mention them. Have a friend who has not had a good experience with them on his f430. Have a chat with Geoff at Shiltech he will be able to sort

13. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Sorry to hear this Paul. I'm sure you'll be able to get it sorted and be back behind the wheel soon!

14. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    All the best with the repair. If any consolation, I was expecting worse before I opened the picture. If you think people in the UK and Australia have no idea how to drive a roundabout, wait till you experience one in the US. Being so few of them, and each having different rules, plus everyone on their cellphones, makes it even more nail biting. Was at one in upstate NY not that long ago that had a full stop sign on each inlet road. There was no traffic in the roundabout but I followed the law and stopped. The kid behind me didn't. (NOT in my 308!)

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Don't sweat it. That can be pulled and worked out without any major concern. Just find a good shop that doesn't want to chop it up and weld new panels as I don't see that would be at all necessary.

16. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Yup, it's the only way to get it right, well along with the engine rebuild.

Sorry to see it but it's fixable.

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Sorry, but the only person who got it wrong at the roundabout was the OP.

You should always double check that the car ahead has actually pulled away fully from the roundabout junction (or any junction for that matter!), and not assume they have pulled away fully because they started to move off - The car ahead is under no obligation to pull out once it starts to move.

(This makes it a popular manoeuvre in "crash for cash" scams: The scam car ahead starts to pull away, looking like they're committed to going onto the roundabout, and then slams on the brakes so an innocent car behind will hopefully run into the back of them. Next thing you know 3 or 4 people in the car ahead are claiming to have whiplash injuries and demand compensation)

In the OP's case, the car ahead may have been over-cautious (possibly even stupidly over-cautious), but it's still the OP's fault that the incident occurred.

18. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I haven't denied responsibility, but frankly, I didn't need any smart-arse comments.

Thank you,
    Paul

19. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

You really had to go there knowing the situation? Shows your true colors.

As for the OP I do hope the best for your Dad and ignore posters such as this person.

20. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The show, Wheeler Dealers, had an episode about a 308 GT4 where a dent was pulled out with a series of welded pins. A very clever system that really moves the metal.

Yo gotta love that Ed China.

Here is the link: Dent removal starts about 12:00 into the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbyWdIGzypI

21. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Bad luck Paul, but looks fixable.

If you had badly damaged the bumper rubber and chrome that would have been seriously bad news.

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Paul it comes in waves so sorry. I hope the light housing is ok. Now is a good time to check your build number, it is on the horizontal bracket that holds the light cover in case you didn't know. Hope your Pops is doing better.

23. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi,

My build number is 400.

It is the bumper that is concerning me because it is bent and I don't know if it can be put back into shape without leaving some signs of distortion. I haven't yet looked, but I'm assuming the the left bumper mount has also been bent.

Thank you for the well wishes about my dad. We think he is going to be okay, but it was pretty scary for a while. He's badly bruised his brain and had inter-cranial bleeding, which caused him serious confusion. But he's being well looked after and hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

Returning to the bumper, does anyone have any experience of straightening on of these following a bump?

I've never bent an old car, so I don't know what is possible. When I bent a newer car many years ago, they simply removed everything that was damaged and replaced it with new.

Paul

24. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    There are people out there that can make it look new again, my dad hit the front bumper on his 67 fastback 15 yrs ago and they were able to make that thing look new again..

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Did it to my E-Type a few years ago, and it still haunts me. It happens...sorry to hear :(