Bow Ties (USA-spec Side Marker Lights) | FerrariChat

Bow Ties (USA-spec Side Marker Lights)

Discussion in '308/328' started by NoGoSlow, Jun 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    #1 NoGoSlow, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay, maybe this is too OCD (or should that be CDO?)... does anyone else notice that the USA-spec side marker lights are usually deformed, and what once was a rectangle is now more of a bow-tie shape? The photos below are from GT4s, but the problem is equally bad on USA-spec GTB and GTS too.

I tried to use a heat gun and stretch one back into a rectangle, but the plastic moves at a fairly low temp and will probably return to the bow-tie state after a couple of hours in the sunshine.

Has anybody else tried to address this? Perhaps a better engineered Verell substitute? Machined/anodized aluminum? Is anyone up to the challenge?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes I've wondered about that too. If the edges were straight would it still fit the body shape? Should try and make a small stiff cardboard replica and see

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
  4. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Interesting, good catch David!

5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Have not seen the bucket type on GTS or GTB, they have the flat surface mount type which don't exhibit this feature.

6. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    don't say bow tie too loud or the chevy people might come asking for a royalty check!

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If someone could loan me a side marker bezel with straight sides, I could use it as a pattern to make a mold & return it.
    Making a mold does not affect the original in any way.

My reproductions would be a fibreglass reinforced polyurethane that is quite rigid and only begins to soften at 280 F.

Currently my workload is pretty light so I'd only need it for a couple of weeks more or less.

If you can help with this, please send eMAIL.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    you gonna try and straighten them out or just for copies?

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I am hoping to borrow ones that are already straight, or were straightened by their owner.

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Since the period pic proves, that these were not straight from factory, this would be a perfect application for design of a 3D-CAD model and then print the pattern.
    Am original sample would be still necessary though.

Verell,
    do you meanwhile use 3D-design and print techniques?

Best
    Martin

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I routinely use 3D CAD and have used 3D printing where part strength & surface finish is not important. 3D printing is useful where you are making a 1-off part such as a mold pattern where you can afford to invest a significant amount of time filling, sanding, & polishing/texturing the surface to get the correct finish.

I've been closely following the evolution of 3D printing since the mid '90s as my son's best friend's father works for Sanders one of the pioneering companies.

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Verell,

I hope you can do this. Mine are pretty unsightly. I trust someone will provide a good one for the mold. If I had one it'd already be on its way to you!

Jack.

13. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Jack posted this over in the "Parts Cross Ref" thread... there may be light at the end of the tunnel!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If @Verell sees this it might rekindle his interest in doing a test with 3D printing.

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Definitely interested. if you could share 3E cad files.

3D Cad technology continues to evolve very rapidly I am currently awaiting a 4th 3D resin printed part to make a 4 cavity mold for KLIPPAN seat belt buckle covers. Resin printed parts have very good finish & dimensional accuracy, and are not porous. Unfortunately the resins ae not strong enough for actual use. BUT they are more than adequate to use as mold patterns.

16. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I just got my hands on a pristine condition side marker bezel ... NOS for the left rear (P/N 40168601 / Table 121 (Lights)). I'm sure someone could create a CAD file and then flip it to create the same piece for the right side. That would cover the ass end of our GT4s. :)

absostone likes this.