Where do sockets go to hide | FerrariChat

Where do sockets go to hide

Discussion in '308/328' started by BNSC100, Jun 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BNSC100

BNSC100 Karting

May 28, 2009
    SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When they jump off the ratchet while you are removing it from the thermostat bleeder bolt.. I have been searching for an hour and it's a complete mystery. It's a 1986 328, so there are covers on the back side of the timing belt system, but I'm still nervous to just leave it.... Whereever it went... Been poking around with a magnetic stick etc and get nothing..

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Did you hear it fall?
    Was it a small 1/4" socket?
    I once lost the bleeder bolt copper seal washer and found it behind the crankshaft pulley.

I cannot count the hours I spent searching for lost bolts, nuts, washers during the past 20 years. But I found all.

Best and good luck
    Martin

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Drop another one in that area, and see where it goes.

4. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Same thing happened to me...it was indeed right under my nose...almost exactly straight down on a little ledge. Was hard to see and I couldnt roust it with a magnet either...I found it with my trusty "thingamagig" that has a little video camera with an extension...

5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    No matter where it fell, it will find its way into the cam belts if you don't find it.. At least that's what I always tell myself:)

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    My foolproof method for them turning up is when I get home with a brand new one.

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I lost the little copper washer the same way. I used a flexi borescope and found it on the chassis rail... and then on the pulley housing (yes, I did it twice) - '85 QV, so no belt covers, so it had to be found.

8. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Lift car and shake
    they usually fall out😉

9. BNSC100

BNSC100 Karting

May 28, 2009
    SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks All... It was a 13MM 1/4" socket. Crazy thing is I did not recall it hitting the ground, but I found it on the ground to the side. Not in a logical place to have rested from the fall. Lot's of tools around, but I was not using a 13MM for anything else so it must be the one... I started the car and ran it enough to warm up and bleed the cooling system. I will give one sweep before lowering it off the stands.

Good news: My first belt job is successfully done... ! : ) Long and slow process.... I got a small amount of squeal from one of the accessory belts on startup. Will keep an eye to make sure tension there is good.

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Congrats. The tiny bits rarely fall to the floor. Normally they prefer resting in the most obscure areas.

Best
    Martin

11. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Tell the truth
    You picked up the car and shook it, didn't you

12. BNSC100

BNSC100 Karting

May 28, 2009
    SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I cannot lie... You busted me. And a few quarters came out from under the seats as well...

: )

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That works 100% of the time for me.

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I was using a spring loaded belt tensioner once. I took it out after tightening the water pump belt and it sprung apart. I never have found the one extension that went pinging across the garage floor. And I've had my garage completely emptied out once cleaning it up and still never found that blasted little chrome piece of pipe.

I've lost nuts, bolts, and washers in similar fashion. Try keeping track of the tiny little cotter pins that hold the carb linkage together. Those things are tiny but luckily are magnetic. :)

I'm pretty thouroughly convinced there are both ghosts and a black hole located somewhere in my garage. I'm sure of it!!

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Six feet away, into the grass section of the front yard. Found it by a lawn mower.

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #16 thorn, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It really is surprising where where sockets can end up.

My son bought a beater 528i last month for a very low price, with the intention of fixing it up himself. He took it to my local mechanic to have it looked over. The mechanic called me the next morning and said he'd found a few things that needed to be addressed. I asked for some general info on it, and he said "Maybe you should just come down here so I can show you...?"

Drove to the shop, and the car was on the lift. We walked under it and he pointed the flashlight.

First, I just stared for a moment. Next I said, "You're going to have to forgive my language."

He replied, "Oh, no... go right ahead."

"What the fuhhhhh------???????"

He said "Yep. That's what we said too."

Finally I got serious, and said "Ok, I know these BMW parts can get expensive. So... this really isn't good. I'm not even sure BMW makes that socket wrench anymore."

Yes, what you're looking at is the heater core deleted by cutting a hose and plugging it shut with a socket wrench.

I swear this story is true.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Cool thing about the 308 is all the aluminum. If not high grade stainless you can fish around with a magnet pen. Like between the heads and between the engine and tranny around the alternator and motor mounts. Bet you will find some things there.

18. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Gotta say it worked. Cheap wrench was probably just the right size.