Air Pump on an '83 308 QV | FerrariChat

Air Pump on an '83 308 QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by Labman, Jun 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just curious what everyone here does with their air pump on the models that have them like mine. Currently mine is intact and is in perfect working order except I have the belt removed. Should I just reinstall the belt and just leave it that way? Does it really rob much power from the engine? I don't want to remove the pump as I want to keep it 100% stock for concours purposes.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You should put the belt back on. That would be 100% stock for your concours desires.

It takes a hp or two only. In other words, your car is slower with the belt off and a full tank of gas than it is with the belt on and a half tank.

Which it to say you cannot feel any difference. either way.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd add that the components downstream of the airpump outlet (check valves, air injection manifolds, rubber hoses) will degrade more quickly with the V-belt removed. Best to either remove it all (and install the metal plugs in the ports on the cyl heads), or leave it all intact and working - JMO.

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I believe it is frequently estimated to be about a half hp.

I agree with keeping the belt on and the pump working. My understanding is that the extra air is needed for the catalytic converters to work properly.

The thing that seems to be the biggest problem with the system is how the air injection manifolds at the exhaust manifold corrode and crack. For the first two or three minutes of cold start operation, air is injected at the exhaust header. Afterward, it is injected directly into the catalytic converters. I sometimes scheme about disabling/removing the exhaust manifold injection part of the system.

5. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    The only bummer is the whine. And the look.

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I keep mine working.

7. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Back on it goes. Thanks guys.

8. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If it makes your feel any better, on the 83' (like mine), there is a shear pin of sorts that is there to protect the motor if the air pump ceases. It works kind of like a snow blower. I posted a few pics of mine when I took it apart a few months ago. There were marks on the inside of the pulley carrier that indicated it had sheared in the past (done its job).

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=9080&share_tid=545062&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eferrarichat%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D545062&share_type=t

9. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

It's actually not a shear pin. It's a roll pin. Mine had fallen out and I replaced it with another roll pin. I have a thread about it. Rifledriver confirmed this. Plus if the pump seizes I can't imagine it interfering with the engine. It's such a tiny belt and would most likely just be eaten up and burned through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #10 jdamon, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Not the roll pin through the cam, take a look at the thread I posted the link to. The shaft that the pulley carrier is attached to has a thin section that acts as a "shear pin" when the pump ceases. It makes more sense when you look at the parts.

11. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    When I got my '81 308, the belt was missing and the pump frozen solid. Would. NOT. Turn.

Off it came.

12. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    If you need a new one get one for a 1974 Jeep j10 pu with amc 360. You will need to scavenge or fab the hose fitting.

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Do a search here for compatible air pumps. I forget the American make/model (Buick maybe?) but it was a direct replacement.

14. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I removed mine when I replaced all of my ignition wires because it made it much easier to access the rear bank distributor. Afterwards I just put it in a plastic bag and stored it on a shelf in the garage but I'll need to put it back on when it comes time to get an emissions test. On or off I really couldn't tell any difference in performance.

15. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    That is a compatible pump! I happened to own said truck and it's the same pump! What did you think I was saying?