NFF 3.9L 308 in Forza #159 | FerrariChat

NFF 3.9L 308 in Forza #159

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Jun 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    SMG2: You have created a masterpiece.

Matt: You are one lucky guy.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Thanks. It was a lot of fun and Matt was very patient with the process and is a real enthusiast for the 308's and genuinely nice guy.

I love the way it turned out. Loads of power where you need it and yet quiet enough when cruising to hold a conversation with the targa top off! The exhaust had me pulling my hair out to get it just right.

It all started with the first jump to EFI back in 2012... then he wanted MORE! :D

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  6. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I like the way he solved the 1K USD 'expensive' belt change problems by spending 100K USD on a new engine.

Out of the box thinking.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I just totally "get" it.

In these days where its seems every car person moans out loud about the computerization of modern cars and about the homogenization of supercars (everyone makes one now!), it is just so cool to see a project whose goal is to create the dream analog car. I love how this project had purpose; to address specific issues but not lose the feel of the old fashioned sports car.

Yeah, it was expensive, but there is a lot of money in this world. Myself, I think back now to my youth and I realize I did not even allow myself to dream as big as owning a Ferrari. I told myself that it was impossible. I can only admire Matt for building his dream car. I own beyond my dreams too, even though my car is just stock.

8. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think it's great!

9. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Is 100Grand what Nicks engine rebuild goes for? Wow, that's ALLOT of money!

10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Me too Brian. Awesome post about an awesome car. Congrats Matt and crew at NFF.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Uh no.. that'd be great to command that kind of price point, maybe not for the customer. Engine costs range from about 25k to Sky's the limit if one wants exotic materials and crazy power, the avg though would be between 40-50k for an engine build. Matt also under took a full interior redo, suspension, electrical, and gearbox rebuild, basically we stripped it down and started over minus a paint job, since that was already done.

There is a lot that goes into these projects. Matt has a very unique and special edition.

12. ColoradoTiger

ColoradoTiger Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Scott,
    What's the torque curve like on that thing?

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Very much enjoyed the article. Quite a machine! Big congrats to both of you.

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #14 smg2, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go..

It'll pull away from a dead stop in any gear without much effort. 1st will induce tire spin very easily. it's a very nice balance of force to weight, I only wish the gear ratios were different or at least a 6th gear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Am I interperting the "Thrust Scalar" curve correctly in thinking it is showing me that the car can break traction in 4th gear at redline (i.e. 140 mph)? What is the value of torque above the traction limit?

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    ummm, why neck snapping FUN of course!

While the thrust scalar does indeed show traction issues in 4th and yes you can induce wheel spin with liberal application of throttle at high RPM but it's just as easy not to if you don't jab or poke at the loud pedal :D

Traction will always be an issue with high TQ engines, this build hurtles.. no it throws you down the road if you roll into the throttle, if you don't then the tires do spin a bit.

The chart is of course based on tires with a less then .8G traction limit and at WOT, not really how one drives around, unless you want too :D

17. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks smg....just read the article. I thought the 100G's was just for the motor.
    What an incredible project! I can only imagine what it's like driving that beast:)

I still have my eye on a Nicks 3.5 engine upgrade for my 80 GTSI:)

18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Is there a performance benefit to building an engine with even higher torque curve? Alternatively, does the curve show that there is a maximum (lower) torque that the car can utilize and that there is no use building an engine that can exceed that maximum?

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Love the article and the car. who would not want 400Hp + in their 308/328... my question is how does the car deal with all that power and chassis flex? its a GTS no?

I'd love to have 400 HP in my 328...!!!

20. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    "The lust for power is insatiable"
    ~ Some-Greek-philosopher-whose-name-I-can't-remember.

21. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    I'm with Matt and SMG on this one - I'd rather own a seriously modyfied and analog 308 than a 458.

A masterpiece and I love it :)

22. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Beautiful workmanship and while I'd be in the 458 camp if given the choice (nice choice to have) it would be a close call. You could surprise a lot of people with this.

23. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    What is the price of Nicks 3.5 rebuild and what is the HP gain?

24. MonsterCro

MonsterCro Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have 440hp in my 308 and its brilliant handles the power quite well I dont think launching off the lights hard would be a good idea as thats when you are likely to break somerhing.

But I've cheated to get my power. Im assisted by a decent size turbo

25. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Wow Steve what else did you do to get that HP?