Advice on adjusting front bonnet/frunk catches | FerrariChat

Advice on adjusting front bonnet/frunk catches

Discussion in '308/328' started by dflett, Jun 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I've never had an issue with the front catches before, pulling the handle always popped both latches and the bonnet popped up both sides out of the latch so that it could be lifted up. After doing a brake flush (among other things) the left side still popped up but the right side did not. I could still raise the bonnet by pulling up at the same time as pulling the handle.

I remembered pushing the cable behind the brake fluid cap to get the power bleeder on so I thought, maybe I stretched the cable between the latches. I tried shortening that by 3mm and I got a more simultaneous release of both catches but it still doesn't pop the hood up out of the latch like it did before. I don't really want to go crazy trying adjustments in case I go to far and have trouble opening it.

Has anyone got any advice on adjusting the cables to get the bonnet to pop up out of the latch more positively?

I see no obvious damage and everything is lubricated. I've checked the user manual, workshop manual and online and found nothing.

Thanks in advance
    David

2. Designstar

Designstar Karting

Oct 30, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Micheal
    They did a piss poor job of seeing that the cable threads through the firewall/ IP bulkhead in a clean and smooth way. When I got my latches replated I pulled the cable, lubed the cable in the housing and cleaned up the hole where it passes through the bulkhead. This helped the release exponentially.

The far latch will always require more energy to release than the drivers side one, so you have to make sure the cable is not binding on anything along the way. Make sure it's going through all the corners with the biggest arcs possible and that there is no play. With the hood open, pull on the release lever have someone watch the far side latch and make sure it's moving immediately. This way you'll know all the engery is being transferred down the cable to the latch when the hood is closed.

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks. I'll check the routing of the cable. The far side latch is moving in time with the near side. The problem seems to be physical
    alignment of pin in latch.

4. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I went through this recently after replacing my hood release cable. In my case, the hood safety pins were not perfectly aligned with the holes in the frame, so I had to adjust the hinges. Does your hood close without any resistance?

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes, it drops and closes with the same thunk as it always did.

6. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Careful...careful! You can adjust them so well that they won't release. Make note of where they are seated and don't venture far in any direction. Ask me how I know :(

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Before you remove the latches themselves, mark their exact location as they are working now. Height and right to left. I used a sharp point to etch the black paint.Then remove the cables and replace. Before you close the hood the first time, triple check that both latches release at the same time and with the least amount of pressure possible. Also make sure the backup works. It really helped to work thru the drivers side fender well to make sure the new cables were in a unbound location.