308QV oil leak. | FerrariChat

308QV oil leak.

Discussion in '308/328' started by veloce33, Jun 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    I have a 1985 308QV with a fairly significant oil leak that appears to be coming from somewhere under the intake plenum between the cylinder banks. I haven't yet removed the plenum to investigate. I've already replaced the gasket for the oil filter housing and the oil pressure sending unit for the oil pressure gauge, no luck, still leaking. What else is under there that may be the cause of my leak? Thanks in advance.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One of the downsides of an overhead cam engine design is that there are high pressure oil paths going thru the head gasket (something not present on a "conventional" V8 with a single cam in the block above the crankshaft). Not saying that it's a sure thing that an oil leak at the head gasket is the source of your problem, but it is a possibility.

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Did you replace the oil filter after your oil filter housing gasket replacement?
    Or did you reuse the old one? I once had a leaking Baldwin filter. Bad welding spot beneath the rubber gasket. BTW; What admittedly let me revert to UFI.

Best
    Martin