'78 GTB Battery Cutoff Switch | FerrariChat

'78 GTB Battery Cutoff Switch

Discussion in '308/328' started by gte619n, Jun 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Hey guys,

I've found a few other posts about 308 cutoff switches, but nothing that I can seem to nail down. I park my car in a covered deck here downtown with a cover on. Sadly, there's nowhere to hook up a trickle charger so the battery goes flat A LOT.

I'd like to install a ground cutoff switch in the frunk area, but I'm finding a lot of conflicting information about locations, switch types, etc. Does anyone have any tips/pictures about their install? Am I correct in saying this IS NOT a stock item?

Thanks,

E

2. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I had mine fitted when I bought the car (20 years ago!). It has been a god send.
    This appears to be what was fitted:
    http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/battery-isolators-master-switches
    Bad bit of cut and paste, if you scroll down it's the Autolec item

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

3. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    #3 Jonny Law, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I added one of these to mine and am planning on adding it as standard equipment to all future cars. It just make working on the car so much easier.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Echo above - its so simple - get home turn car off - leaving turn car on

As I recall basic LMA replaced Richbrook

5. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Curious where you placed the switch? I would like convenient but unobtrusive.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  7. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Currently my spare tire well is out, so its mounted to a temporary bulkhead. It could be mounted next to where the main ground wire disconnect is placed so as to be reversible back to stock. This would also eliminate excessive use to the ground disconnect.

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #8 Martin308GTB, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    At least on the Euro cars the cigarette lighter is fed by a hot wire (permanently 12V) where I connect my trickle charger via a fitting plug.
    Is this different on US cars?
    Another option is the socket hidden below the oil temp gauge / clock.

Edit: I assume, that you have the earlier Brico cig. lighter. So this bows out. But the other mentioned socket is still an option.

Best Regards
    Martin

9. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    My problem isn't so much attaching the charger, but that there's no mains power in the garage that I can access.

Is there a way to install a cutoff switch in the frunk while retaining the spare wheel liner? Maybe by the horn?

Are these switches able to handle the starter wire as well, or are people just cutting off the accessory line?

10. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Can you use a wall or the roof of your garage? You surely have a lot of sun in Atlanta. I have a briefcase style solar charger hooked to a large capacity SUV battery & I'm in dingy England. It works perfectly.

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #11 Martin308GTB, Jun 22, 2017
    Have it on my Alfa, where access to the battery is easy. But I think, this is no option for the 308 due to battery access.

On the 308 I made it, like shown on of the pictures below. My installation, my cut off switch, and example for a key with rain protection.
    I just forgot, that there are also keys with some rain protection. Then I made this myself with a rubber from an old track rod end.

I made a bracket from 2mm thick sheetmetal and attached it to the spare tire bucket with two thick pop-rivets and two lage diameter washers on the opposite side. (original italian bodywork style :) )

The cut off switch is lopped into the thick ground cable from the battery to the frame. I would not install it in the +-cable.

But this location is probably still a problem on 308s with the earlier spare tire cover with the zipper.

Best Regards
    Martin

12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I installed one of the removable key types a few weeks ago. There is really no need for a mounting bracket, just use a two inch long piece of half inch wide aluminum flat bar bolted to one terminal of the switch and the original mounting point of the ground strap. That is enough to support the switch then connect ground strap to the other terminal and you're done.

13. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #13 -CD-, Jun 22, 2017
  14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Pictures? I cannot picture how you get easy access. The original ground strap mounting point is below the battery cover and spare wheel on my car. I even cannot access the mounting point with the battery installed.

Besf
    Martin

15. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    #15 gte619n, Jun 22, 2017
    That's a clean install right there. I THINK that's the Lucas repro switch, available at a bunch of places. Are you switching the entire ground post? The only specs I could find on the starter was 115A @ 12V, so 1,400W. The material I could find on the Lucas switch was 100A, but that seems pretty low, given it's a physical connection.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Maybe this was something retrofitted by the dealers when the car was new?
    I saw exactly the same on Robert Retzlaff's (308gtb.de) car.

Except, that it was installed on the driver's side, what I also preferred for quick access. Just in case...

Best
    Martin

17. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

Agreed this is what I did. No drilling or whole making needed. This switch's post however was too small for the cars terminal, so I got a lead battery post shim to make it fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Don't you have to remove the spare and cover to get to the post?

19. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

Yes you do. But I keep my spare out of the car unless I'm going on longer trips or shows etc. But for charging I have a CTEK smart charger with the comfort connection that is fixes just under one of the veins of the front grill. Drive in the garage and plug it in, don't even have to open the bonnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Disconnect the €/^%=#6* clock and your battery will last for months unattended.

21. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    This is a great idea, excellent stopgap solution until I can get it on the lift. Do you happen to know the fuse number off hand?

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #22 kcabpilot, Jun 22, 2017
    Mine is an '83 and possibly not original, it had a ground strap with a disconnect plug bolted to the frame member to the left of the radiator. I bolted the aluminum flat bar to that point, connected the other end to one terminal of the switch and then connected the strap to the other. I didn't need to fabricate a mount or drill any holes.

23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    No matter if original or not. This is a great, pragmatic solution.

Best
    Martin

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The previous owner of my 78 308 GTS installed a similar cut off switch. He had it done by a local race shop, they did a very clean, professional job... I actually thought it was factory. It was installed in the left front corner, outside the tire well. I think they riveted it to the outside the tire well with black rivets.

25. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I had one of those on my Boston whaler! You can hook up the perm lead to the tender and run it up the side of the radiator. Pop front hood, connect and you are good. Keep the lead in place with a zip tie