Interior refresh- 308 GT4 | FerrariChat

Interior refresh- 308 GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by PeteyDaddy, Jun 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Having some good luck refinishing my interior. How hard is it to pull the center console out? Anything to watch out for? [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I want to see more than one picture :)

3. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    #3 sltillim, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    I haven't done it so I am not sure of all the steps. I have read that you pull the glove box and instruments then the rest of it. (vague and obvious, i know...)

Steering wheel removal can be challenging if not done right - there are many threads.
    The gauge surround aluminum pieces are very sharp edged and can cut the vinyl surrounding the cluster easily - so tape that up before removing to reduce any nicks / cuts / tears.

If your 3 ac / defrost pieces under the windshield still say "Dino" on them, they are very rare and expensive, so be careful.

A while you're in there with the dash removed, it is a good time to replace the fuse blocks with Birdmans glass or the Sam's spade fuse blocks with easier access.

if you are doing the center console, another nice while your in there" is to clean the guts of the shifter box and replace the shifter to shift shaft bushing. These are also known as silent blocks. If you aren't familiar with member Verell , he runs a company called Unobtanium supply co and manufactures these bushings and many hard to find bits. http://www.unobtaniumsupply.com/index.html

You don't have a lot of posts so I will say learn to use the search box - it is your friend. You are rarely the first to do anything that hasn't been documented before. Don't use the Search on the top left unless you want to search all of the F-Chat site. Use the one on the 308 group landing page and search from the "search this forum" button. In this case I would search GT4 dash removal or gt4 dashboard removal as key words and begin your digging through the results. It may be lengthy but you will likely find a full documented and photographed example.

I also see you are redoing your doors. It looks like you have a speaker hole cut out. If you are going for a concourse correct restoration, the door card has one piece of leather (less the pocket and upper pocket trim) that covers the whole door and the speaker is behind a star / circle pattern of holes directly cut in the leather. Anything with metal speaker grilles is known to be aftermarket and cut into the door (so I think - experts please chime in). I'm gonna do you a favor an look it up - I searched but actually had a very hard time finding a picture. I found this on google. http://dealeraccelerate-all.s3.amazonaws.com/ds/images/2/4/7/247/2213_a286db33ae_low_res.jpg .

It would suck to have to re-do this as it looks like you already recovered it. It would suck worse to have it pointed out by a judge or an educated buyer, depending on what you are doing with the car.

There was a member who posted this hole pattern in the past but it looks like his old posts are removed. That member was "the kook abides" if you want to send him a pm he might still have it.

Best wishes with your project!

-Spencer

Good Luck!!!

4. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Thanks Spencer for the quick response! Right off the bat I see my interior door handles are mounted incorrectly so your pic helped already! Appreciate it!

5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Just pulled mine the other weekend to remover the shifter housing and did not need to remove the glove box or instruments. Simply a matter of Philips head screws around the perimeter of the console and shift gate. It was a little tight pulling it past the front edge of the back seat but came out in the end. Sorry did not take any pics.

6. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Thank you. Any secrets to getting the door card back on? Does it go over the metal tab? I searched and didn't find this. Thanks guys

7. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    You have to lift it on over the lock button thread IIRC, then it just pops on with the push fasteners.

8. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You can certainly remove the centre console without removing the dash. Hover ever, I would advise removing the rear seat which is pretty straightforward. The tricky part is getting the centre console over the handbrake lever.

Paul

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yes latch over and slide down and I believe there are two screws

10. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Speaker hole won't win any concours but looks cool ;)[​IMG]

11. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Great idea, Pete! This is a beautiful solution, and quite probably the best compromise I have seen (short of spending a lot of time and money to recreate the original leather door-card covering). It's true to the original and not a visual distraction like most other aftermarket speaker jobs.

I can't wait to see it back in your car after the full restoration!

Rgds,

Mark Jacks
    Austin, Texas

12. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Thanks! Moving slowly and learning along the way!

13. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    I searched and cannot locate the answer. Does anyone know if there are more then 4 bolts holding the rear seat in? I removed the 4 bolts and the thing is in there solid as a rock..wondering if there are more faster ers holding it in place. Thanks

14. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm pretty sure there are only 4 bolts. The top edge sits over a lip on the rear bulkhead, so I think you need to lift the bottom first so that you can lift the back over the lip. If you haven't already done so, I'm pretty sure you need to remove the centre console first.

Paul

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    the leather is stuck to the side arm rest panels next to the seat. use something smooth like a plastic spreader or a wood shim to slowly separate the side of the seat from the panels, if it scratches, or more than likely the color will come off, but wont be visible when re installed. then firmly lift upwards to remove the seat from the steel lip that it rests on. Once the seat is out you will see your build number written on the back of the seat in black paint

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    center console can stay in

17. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Thanks guys that's what it was. The leather was stuck (very well) to the sides. Last question. I'm having a hell of a time removing the center console. Seems like the choke cable is stopping me from getting the console forward enough to remove the brake boot. How do you deal with disconnecting the choke from above as I can't get under the console? Thanks!

18. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Figured out the choke...what a pain. Leathereque in progress. Drinking it up..console leather was like dirty cardboard...[​IMG][​IMG]

19. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I like the patina on your seats, especially with that color, but it will be nice to have them "new" again.

Did you find your build number painted on the back of your rear seat assembly?

20. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Thanks..its a fair amount of work but I'm enjoying it. I thought I figured out the back seat...no dice- it's still stuck despite pulling the sides away (very stuck) ...i almost pulled a hernia trying to lift it out and gave up. Need to figure out a plan b with the back seat...[​IMG]

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    you need to push something into the sides deep enough to unstick the leather

22. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Ok thanks. I like the paint stick idea. Center console almost done..[​IMG][​IMG]