Console A/C Control Levers | FerrariChat

Console A/C Control Levers

Discussion in '308/328' started by Russ Gould, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I am restoring my console. There are 4 heater/ac levers. The levers sit in little chromed housings, one of mine was metal the other 3 were chromed plastic. As best I can tell all 4 housings are essentially the same. First Q .. where can one get metal housings? The plastic ones are junk. I see superformance has them, not sure whether they are metal or plastic but they are GBP40 each. Any other source?

Second question: the lever/housing sits in a sheet metal cradle and is att to it with 2 machine screws. At least it's supposed to, mine were entirely missing. Superformance shows only one version of this cradle, but the OEM parts list shows 3 different versions: one for the a/c temp, one for the defrost, one for the heat. Can one use the same superformance part Body Fittings for Ferrari 308, 208, 288 GTO & F40 - Superformance for all 4 controls? If not, is there another source?

Finally I need the a/c temp decal red/blue. One. Anyone?

2. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The housings and A/C temp decal can he obtained from Verell at unobtaniumsupply.com

The housings are chrome plated metal. They are like little jewels. The (decals) labels are coated with an unscratchable coating, also very nice.

Not sure about the cradle and different versions.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  4. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I see them but 2.5x the Superformance price ... I could also use some seat belt anchor covers but again at $90 for the pair I don't think I love the car that much.

I do take my hat off to you for the variety of stuff you have managed to pull together.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I purchased a couple from Superformance to compare to my CNC machined polished show chrome Al lever bezels. IMHO, you get what you pay for.

Thank you.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The OEM ones are chromed pot metal...and break.

Unobtaniums are milled solid metal, I ran across mine the other day!
    As well as the door lever gaskets.

Finally getting it all sorted......

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Mine were actually chromed plastic (well three of them were) and the chrome has flaked off .. I went ahead and ordered the Superformance bodies and will report back. These parts are not subject to a lot of stress unless you beat on your control levers with a sledge hammer. But they are highly visible.

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The 308 & 400 series OEM lever bezels were chrome plated plastic as Russ reports. Early Dino bezels were chromed metal, & later ones were chromed plastic.

Other than ageing plastic, & peeling chrome, a major cause of the bezels breaking is failure to annually lubricate the cables resulting in excessive force being required to move the lever. The OEM plastic ones break surprisingly easily, a hammer is not required.

TIP:A motorcycle cable luber & spray can of cable lube does a great job of filling the cable with lube & flushing out old lube.

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yike! Annually??!!?? (I've only done mine once in 4 years.)

Do you recommend lubing from the console end?

I used Finish Line Dry Bike Teflon lubricant. Seems like a Teflon lube 'should' last longer than 1 year.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Lube from whichever end is most accessible.

I have no data as to how long the Teflon lube is effective.

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    #11 Russ Gould, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My Superformance bezels arrived and I was very pleased with the appearance. However they have the half oval half rectangular holes 6x8mm that, I believe, were found on the GT4 and the early carbed cars. The later cars have 8x8 square holes. The former can be filed to make them 8x8 square although you will need to be careful with the finish.

The only drawback is Superformance shipping charges are rather hefty, to the point where you would not order just one of these. They wrap your parts in endless amounts of padding and send them by express courier for GBP40. You would need to order a bunch of stuff to warrant paying that for shipping.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Not sure what to tell you other than next time listen to the advice you're given.

"You get what you pay for."

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #13 Martin308GTB, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Given the fact, that SF never answers questions about the original source of their parts I would always prefer Verell's parts. No matter the higher prizes.
    We should support such activities like Verell's 'Unobtainium Supply' rather than some dubious chinese or indian knockoffs. Moreover if we get the better part.

Just my 0.02 cents.

But I'm seriously tired of today's spare parts quality and therefore maybe completely wrong.

BTW; Lubrication of the heater cables is probably by far the most neglected thing on my car. I never lubed them in 20years. LOL! How does such a motorcycle cable luber work? Do I have to disconnect the cables? What a hassle.

Best from Germany
    Martin

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    The "plot" thickens ... the bezels I received look identical to the bezels Verrel sells for $80 for the 246. And the bezels photographed on Superformance's website have the later square 8x8 holes and are listed in the 308 section, so I am starting to think they shipped me the wrong items (I ordered 4 of them). I have asked them to send me 4 like the one in their photo along with a prepaid label so I can return the incorrect ones.

We will see ... it's the weekend over there, perhaps they will resolve this matter Monday.

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yeah. The good ol' Mike Elliott times are long gone.

Best
    Martin

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #16 Verell, Jul 22, 2017
    The cable luber is a simple tool. The cable's wire fits thru a slot in the inner rubber cylinder, the jacket presses into a hole in the cylinder's end, then the thrumbscrews compress the rubber sealing around the wire & jacket. The lubricant can's red tube presses into a hole in the luber. The lubricant can's pressure forces the lubricant the length of the cable. You can usually see lubricant coming out the jacket's other end. If not, then apply lubricant to that end also.

BTW, put a rag or s omething to catch the lubricant that's being forced out.

One of the better cable lubes is Wurth HS2000. It is thin when you first spray it, and then thickens into a grease as the carrier evaporates.

You can often just loosen the jacket & slide it back enough to get the luber around the wire without disconnecting the wire.

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #17 Verell, Jul 22, 2017
    Good luck!! I doubt you'll get anything from them as I recognize that picture, it's from back when I was supplying lever bezels to Mike Elliott! For awhile I made the bezels using a 2 piece design. It's distinguished by the tops of the 2 flat head cap screws in the label recess. Here's a couple of pictures before plating:

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thanks Verell.
    Regarding the lube. I have the HHS 5000. What do you think about this stuff for this purpose? It contains PTFE.

Best
    Martin

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    If I understand correctly, you once supplied your bezels to SF?
    I suspect, Mike's successors, who took over the shop some years ago, sent one to China or India for a quote. Love it :( NOT!

Best
    Martin

20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes, I supplied SF for several years, then Mike died & the orders stopped.

21. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have used the sf versions, file the hole square, they are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Purchased such a cable luber. What a crappy manufactured China scrap.
    The slot/cut through the inner plastic sleeve is completely scew and doesn't meet the small hole for the cable.
    Will now beat the seller round the head with this thing :)

Best
    Martin

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Bummer!!! The one I bought 10 or so years ago was well made.

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Will buy another one from a different seller. Differently coloured, so -I hope- different manufacturer.
    A few years ago we also got your bezels from SF UK and not the chinese knock-offs.
    Sadly cheapskates dictate the market.
    I'm also busy with my old Alfa. Things are even much worse with this brand.

Best Regards
    Martin

25. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Well I got nowhere with Superformance regarding the supply of the pictured parts, so it seems they now sell the Dino version in their 308 section and photographs be damned. Anyway, I filed the holes square and in doing so discovered these parts are actually made of metal (Al). You need to add a washer to the mechanism to get it appropriately stiff/sticky, otherwise they just flop around. (There is a groove on the one side of the tab which defeats the rest of the design).d Unless of course you have the old oval shaft mechanism with the spring and cotter pin. Once installed they do look nice and shiny.

As an aside I also got some console switches from them. They don't tell you this but their console switch is pretty much useless. It has two positions (off/on) and two terminals. As such it does not operate any of the intended circuits. The fan switch is supposed to have 3 positions. The Wiper Speed switch has only 2 positions but 6 terminals I believe. The Hazard switch has two positions but 8 terminals. The antenna switch is center-sprung. So it's not clear to me what these Superformance switches are supposed to do. Possibly the rear fog lamp on the Euro cars. Furthermore, if you put any stress on them, they come apart (the metal upper half is crimped onto the plastic body in a most half-assed fashion.)

I also went round and round with them on their shipping charge on small parcels and got nowhere. Unless you want to pay $60 for a tiny package, I suggest you not order anything from them.

All in all I would not do business with them unless there was no other option, or the other options were all outrageously expensive.