Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 308/328 - Sponsored by Yellow Compass Group

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Carolina
Full Name: Jeff Kelley
Posts: 35
Grill fasteners?

Can someone tell me what the correct fasteners to attach the grill to an 81 308 gtsi US version. I've removed it to clean it up a bit and there is a good variety of different screws used to attach it from sheet metal screws to 6/32 to 8/32 screws. I'm going to replace all of that and I would like to make it correct, or as close as I can. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 07-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northeast, PA - USA
Full Name: Wayne
Posts: 631
I had mine apart somectime ago. Thinking metric threads not sae threads as I recall.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SanFrancisco BayArea
Full Name: 1983 US 308 GTS QV
Posts: 1,299
It seems to me that if the sizes the holes have been enlarged, that now dictates what size of sheet metal screw fits and that you need to use. Are those sheet metal screws speed clips? Maybe you can change both screw and clip.

Make sure you put good fasteners (Nylok nuts?) on both the car and grille side of those brackets supporting the top middle of the grille. They are the main support for the grille. I found mine loose when I removed my grille and know of another 308 owner who actually once lost his grille.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Carolina
Full Name: Jeff Kelley
Posts: 35
I can see that the holes in the brackets were threaded at one time but are now stripped and even oversize. For now I'm going with sheet metal screws and speed clips but when I get time I'm going to remake the aluminum angle brackets that are riveted in and tap them for the correct threaded screw. Thanks for the replies. If you had a picture of the original screw it would help. It looks like it was probably an M4x.7 screw.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SanFrancisco BayArea
Full Name: 1983 US 308 GTS QV
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76SS View Post
... It looks like it was probably an M4x.7 screw...
If you are referring to the bolts which hold the top center brackets, my car has 5mm dia 1.0 thread pitch.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Carolina
Full Name: Jeff Kelley
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
If you are referring to the bolts which hold the top center brackets, my car has 5mm dia 1.0 thread pitch.


Thanks Brian. Would the 4 on the bottom be the same and what head is on the screw?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM
BigTex's Avatar
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Full Name: Bubba
Posts: 68,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76SS View Post
I can see that the holes in the brackets were threaded at one time but are now stripped and even oversize. For now I'm going with sheet metal screws and speed clips but when I get time I'm going to remake the aluminum angle brackets that are riveted in and tap them for the correct threaded screw. Thanks for the replies. If you had a picture of the original screw it would help. It looks like it was probably an M4x.7 screw.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's close you are correct they were metric bolts, either hex head or maybe a cap screw phillips head.

But the screws are not correct.

Look at the type of bolt that holds your inner fenders, those should all be metric bolts as well.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 AM
BigTex's Avatar
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Full Name: Bubba
Posts: 68,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76SS View Post
I can see that the holes in the brackets were threaded at one time but are now stripped and even oversize. For now I'm going with sheet metal screws and speed clips but when I get time I'm going to remake the aluminum angle brackets that are riveted in and tap them for the correct threaded screw. Thanks for the replies. If you had a picture of the original screw it would help. It looks like it was probably an M4x.7 screw.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked for 5mm speed clips for four hours the other day!

Needed ONE for the Ducati windscreen.

Apperently they are very rare, smaller than 6mm in modern cars.

In any event Ferrrari did not use them in the 70s. If it's not a pop rivet, it's a metric fastener. Sometimes with quite odd head profiles (see our headlight housings as example)
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 07-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Carolina
Full Name: Jeff Kelley
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
I looked for 5mm speed clips for four hours the other day!



Needed ONE for the Ducati windscreen.



Apperently they are very rare, smaller than 6mm in modern cars.



In any event Ferrrari did not use them in the 70s. If it's not a pop rivet, it's a metric fastener. Sometimes with quite odd head profiles (see our headlight housings as example)


Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Carolina
Full Name: Jeff Kelley
Posts: 35
Update:
I only had to remake one bracket that looks like it was cobbled together, tapped four bottom brackets to m5x.8 bolt. Used two m5x.8 bolts w/ nylock nuts on upper. Thanks all for your input!http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...000a1368bd.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8603f7e7c5.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...19bef19cc6.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b9915b1d7b.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.