83' 308 QV brake fluid reservoir leaking fluid | FerrariChat

83' 308 QV brake fluid reservoir leaking fluid

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 Grigio, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 Grigio

308 Grigio Rookie

Sep 11, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Albert Stix
    #1 308 Grigio, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back a few years ago, my brake system failure warning light came on. Lots of folks on this chat room were very helpful. It turned out to be a a leak at one of the calipers. Had the entire brake system gone through. Expensive but well worth it! New problem. The warning light keeps coming on again and I keep noticing that the reservoir is low on brake fluid. Can't find it leaking this time under the car. Pulled the spare tire and cover around the brake master cylinder and reservoir. I think the reservoir itself is leaking, it's not a line or the master cylinder or booster. The reservoir is very wobbly. I assume the rubber seals that it sits in are worn? My 308 shop manual and parts book are not at all helpful. Does the reservoir just "pop" off from the two rubber seats? Any suggestions for a source for the rubber seal parts? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on eurospares site. Pt no 175189 re seal and pt no 308 BMRK master cylinder repair kit.
    It is in the 308 GTB section, transmission and pedals, page 028 pedel board. See if that is what you after

3. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I think it can wobble quite a bit without leaking. Put some rags under it to really make sure it is where it leaks. I have removed it on my car, you can do it but it was really not that easy.
    /Peter

4. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    Yes it pops off,Be CAREFUL DO NOT PULL IN AN ANGLE,found out the hard way. pull straight up,make sure to get out the fluid first.

5. 308 Grigio

308 Grigio Rookie

Sep 11, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Albert Stix
    All good advice! Thanks. I have to admit, putting some more fluid in there and actually confirming that's the source of the leak is a very good idea.

6. 308 Grigio

308 Grigio Rookie

Sep 11, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Albert Stix
    Ok I'm no Charles Atlas but I'm a bit stronger than your average Italian dude. I'm not having any luck just pulling up on this brake reservoir. The new seals came in and I thought it was going to be a relatively easy change out. The reservoir seems pretty wobbly in place but it's not coming off that master cylinder without a fight. What am I missing? What's the trick? There's an event next Saturday here in St. Louis that I'd really like to make and I'd rather not be a passenger in somebody else's car! I'm trying not to break this plastic reservoir so I decided to take a pause and seek more advice.

7. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    The two tubes coming off the reservoir going into the master cylinder have reasonable size barbs on them. It comes off by coming away vertically off the master cylinder. In all honesty you'll probably need to lever/pry it up (slowly and gently) and work each end evenly. Once it starts to come up it will move easier. Use something as wide as possible as you'll be levering against the plastic reservoir. I did mine two weeks ago.

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You have to rock the reservoir sideways to get it out of the master cylinder. I use a door panel tool to wedge between the reservoir and master cylinder fill ports in order to support the bottom of the reservoir and pop it out of the seals.
    Installation is easier, just lubricate the new seals with brake assembly lube and push the reservoir straight down into the master.