Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 308/328 - Sponsored by Yellow Compass Group

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave Meredith
While I agree that it is a pain to do, it can all be done without disconnecting the A/C hoses.

Mine, last week:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5095.jpg (97.1 KB, 100 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jeff Ward
Charles, I had to pull the water pump pulley to get my ac compressor out. I bought a $50 air wrench to spin off the water pulley nut. I couldn't do it with hand tools. The air wrench spun the nut right off.
Good luck! Jeff
Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave Meredith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Charles, I had to pull the water pump pulley to get my ac compressor out. I bought a $50 air wrench to spin off the water pulley nut. I couldn't do it with hand tools. The air wrench spun the nut right off.
Good luck! Jeff
Yes, agreed!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:00 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Sean F
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaienza View Post
If you want to keep the AC hoses on the compressor you have to remove the three hoses between the fuel tank and the vapor separator. This will allow you to swing the two hoses and the compressor forward and around to the front of the tank.

With the compressor in the original position, you have to lift the compressor straight up into the engine bay. Two people really helps because the compressor is really heavy and with the hoses attached it has to be maneuvered up, then forward, while you are fighting the stiffness of the hoses and making sure you do not damage the three tubes coming up from the gas tank. They are fragile and will take a minor amount of bending, but not much.
This.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Charles VDB
Thanks for everyone for the comments and words of advice. I had my son-in-law over last night and between the two of us we did manage to get the compressor moved out of the way with the hoses still attached. I did have to move the fuel tank quite a bit for it to slide past. When I put it back I am going to either pull the water pump pulley or try to go up and over it to see if that works better.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: jon shoukimas MD
its such a pita that the compressor is now a permanent resident in the basement. best of all, i now have no excuse not to do the belts when i know i should as the compessor is by far the worst part of the job. don't miss the ac god luck with the job. you'll get there just takes lots of fiddlin. cheers jon s
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike 996
Hmmm... IMO, the car NEEDS AC, as marginal as it is.

I guess I don't see the added time of messing with the compressor to make any real difference in a job that is only done once every X ears. (fill in your preference for X...or we could start a belt change interval thread!!!)

OTOH, per some posts, I guess the work involved can vary from car to car, especially if you have to move a fuel tank, etc. So maybe I'd feel differently in that case. But I don't think I could handle not having AC in the car. Luckily for me on my 328 I had no particular difficulty other than the time involved to unbolt the compressor. HOWEVER, I disconnect the fitting/ remove the Comp completely and use the "belt service" down time for AC service as well, vacuuming down the system after reconnection and refilling with refrigerant. It keeps the AC running as efficiently as possible.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Paul
I removed the fuel tank, which is actually pretty straightforward and gives you all the space you need. I also took the opportunity to re-paint the tank while it was out.

Paul