Continental tires? | FerrariChat

Continental tires?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Saabguy, Aug 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Continentals and Good Years are the two WORST brand name tires I have ever used (ignoring of course the no name junk out there). From out of round issues, to shifted belts, to loud road noise and poor overall performance you will never catch me buying a set of Continentals and I actually will immediately take them off of any car I buy. My first choice is always Michelin. Yes they are normally the most expensive option but you darn well get quality for the extra price. Not only that I have found that Michelins are better right down to the wear bars than most other brands and generally give longer service making them actually cheaper in the long run.

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    To be honest I prefer Bridgestone but the ones I want are all on backorder with no date given for the tire arrival.

Pirelli?

3. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I burned through a new set of Contis in less than 20,000 on my sedately-driven MB S550. The replacement Michelins are still going strong with 30,000 miles on them. I also like Bridgestones.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    20000mi on most Ferrari's will be longer, yr wise, than you would want to keep a tire on your car.

I have Conti Extreme Contact on my 308. No tracking, just normal and spirited cruising. 10k over 5 yrs. No issues or unusual wear.

Note: I bought the car with these tires. Have not idea at this time what I would replace them with when the time comes.

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, how about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+?

6. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had a charger with continentals in it. Best tires I have had on any sedan. Would by them again. Not sure of their performance tires but those were great. Rain, snow, dry, long lasting. They had it all. FYI, I have Bridgestones on my 328 and they are awesome.

7. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've had Cont's on a range of modern performance cars with no issues whatsoever and would have no problem recommending them.
    However, I think our older cars benefit from taller and more compliant tyres, rather than the rigid ultra-low profiles fitted to most modern performance cars. My Jaguar F-Type has 30 profile tyres and I suspect they would shake a 308 to pieces in no time as well as applying undue load on the suspension.
    I'm deliberating on whether to replace my aging Fuldas with a new set of Michelin XWX's.

Paul

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #9 DGS, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    I put the Conti "Extreme Contact" ("DWS") All Season tires on my EVO VIII as my winter tires (vs the Yokos in summer).

They were a bit disappointing after the Nokian WRs, but they were half the cost ...
    ... which was significant in the DC area when construction trucks were leaving nails and screws all over the roads.

I know TireRack is (and has been) back-ordered on the RE-11s, but there are other places to shop.
    (I've been buying from Tire Rack for a while ... when they have them. But I had to go elsewhere for Nokians for the EVO VIII, and TR doesn't seem to be keeping RE-11s in stock, lately. They had them when I bought mine, but not since the RE-71s came out.)

Bridgestone has been trying to replace the RE-11s with the RE-71.
    From the reviews, the RE-71s will have better dry handling but not as good in the wet.
    Tire Rack's review indicates sharper turn-in response on the RE-71s, which would be a plus, for me, as the RE-11s felt a little soft on turn-in, after the S03s, in the 328's 205/15r16 stock size. (Auto-X tires tend to be lower profile.)
    And the RE-71s are a bit less expensive.

In the DC area, the main advantage to the RE-11 is that it was designed as an Auto-X tire that didn't need the temps the S03s did.
    Tires would go cold at the overly-long traffic lights around D.C. That's not as significant, now that I've escaped the urban gridlock.

If you don't care about wet driving, you might look at the RE-71, or even a set of heat-cycled Yoko A-052s streetable competition tires.

I have to say, Tire Rack's web site has become a bit of a PITA, as they insist on knowing tire size, and -- short of clearing your cookies -- won't do a general comparison of tires by category if they don't have them all in your car's size.

I guess they caught on that we were researching tires on Tire Rack and then buying them from whoever carried them.
    So it seems TR is trying to avoid telling you about tires they don't stock. ;)

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm a bit surprised to read that!

I had continentals on My 1990 348 TS (a car with a reputation for having some of the trickiest on-limit handling of any Ferrari ever), and never had an issue with the tyres, for either grip or wear (and the car was driven regularly as Enzo Ferrari intended it to be driven - Hard and fast).

As for Goodyear tyres:

I've run Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's and then Goodyear F1 Asymmetric tyres in their various guises on My BMW E36 328i Sport (another car with a reputation for being all over the place on the wrong tyres) for years, and have found them to be superb for grip (both in the dry and the wet), with very predictable grip characteristics, and a high resistance to breaking away at the limit.

The only downside I have found with all of the Goodyears is that they wear down quite quickly, but that may well be more down to My "aggressive" driving style than an issue with the tyre itself, and TBH, it's a price I'm happy to pay for the grip levels that the tyres give - I find you really can lean on them regardless of how much tread is left.

10. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Yes on michelin and another good alternative I like are bf Goodrich comp 2.

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Goodyear are named correctly - "they are only good for a year".

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I have become a fan of the Pirelli P7 A/S Plus, looks right on the car, good compliance, seems to match the suspension characteristics of the car. Controlled predictable drift is more important than absolute limits especially on a car designed for tires that are inferior to almost any bought today.

13. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Had them about 6 months now and am enjoying them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    They are not that bad at all, I had them on my Renault Clio RS, 40 000 km, all driving conditions, cornering, long distance etc. generally all round not to bad, I had the Sport Contact 3 edition of Continental

Good Year - depends on which Good Year, Efficient Grip performance are very good, go search the reviews and feedback on them.

I used both Pirelli PZero and P7's on different performance cars and both are very good, the P7's Cinturato are better in my opinion, less road noise and feels less bumpy on the road, not sure on mileage but who cares, I used them on my weekend cars.

15. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    I have cont's on my E350 daily driver, seem ok 8 month so far.

16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    After reading this thread, I'm getting all sorts of TireRack and Continental ads everywhere I go. The last ad from TireRack that came up about a minute ago has a Continental promotion during August for a free $70 VISA card. Don't know if this is enough to factor into your decision.

FWIW- I've had Continentals on cars before and they seem to be equivalent in wear to Yoko and General. Better than Pirelli and Dunlop. My best experience has been with Bridgestone and Michelin.

17. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron

18. horsingaround

horsingaround Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Western NC
    Full Name:
    Drew Brannon
    Most websites these days are smart enough to look at your browsing history and/or cookies on your device and tailor ads accordingly. You could delete that history to at least make it a bit harder on them ( though this won't keep them from snooping)

As for tires, when I needed rubber last year for my 328, I bought Goodyear eagles as I believe they were original on my car ( at least the spare is a Goodyear eagle and I do not believe it is a replacement). They're perfectly good for spirited back road driving I've been doing...

Off to find my aluminum foil hat...

19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, I realize that but sometimes it is not worth the effort in time. But I do "purge" periodically. After I do, the "trackers" are starting with a blank page and serve up all kinds of crap like underwear, bird food, laxatives, cruises, whatever in hopes I will bite. In this case, tires are the lesser evil.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have used Contis, Michelins, Goodyears, and Bridgestones (and others) on a variety of cars over the years. I have had good/bad experiences on all of them, depending on the specific tire/car. For my 328, the Goodyear F1s were excellent. But I don't think they make them anymore.

I haven't found a nickels worth of difference as far as quality from any of the "known" tire makers when comparing their offerings in the same performance range. That is NOT to say that they will all perform equally well on any specific car. IOW, a tire that performs well when driven aggressively on a Porsche 911 may suck (relatively speaking) on a Corvette.