Front Suspension seems... wrong. | FerrariChat

Front Suspension seems... wrong.

Discussion in '308/328' started by thorn, Aug 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #1 thorn, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On my 85 Euro:

I'm not a mechanic, of course. But sometimes you see something and think "Hm. That doesn't look right."

I don't know what to call all these parts, but have taken a picture of the front right-side suspension.

Where the black rod goes into the white thing (circled in pic) - I'm concerned that this rubber bushing is just - I don't know, broken, or incomplete, or installed wrong. I can push that rubber cone back into place, but after a drive it works itself out again. The parts on the left side look just like this, same issue on both sides.

I'd start looking at getting 2 replacement parts and just taking stuff apart, but not sure what it's supposed to look like - or heck, if this is normal. Or even what parts I'm after. Thoughts and opinions?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #2 wildcat326, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    It's not right. There should be a shoulder or thick disc washer at the end of the sway bar that holds the two tapered bushings captive. Looks like you're missing the two disc washers on each side. They're actually an exotic dimension and not the easiest to find:(

3. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #3 wildcat326, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While we're at it, and of course I don't know what changes were made for the Euro QV cars versus the US carbs cars like mine, but something looks wonky with your brake line attachment, as well, at the mounting tab on the knuckle. The metal fitting on the end of the line should poke through the opening in the tab, and be secured on the other side by a 24mm washer. It looks like your line just runs through the hole. Maybe that's a later design update? At any rate, just grabbed this pic from another suspension post today by tomberlin. Also shows the two disc washers that hold the drop link bushings in place.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ooo, just saw that other post you referenced. Yeah, that helps - seeing what it SHOULD be.

Based on reading PO forum posts, I think the brakes are aftermarket... installed when some other parts were removed/rebuilt and powder coated. So I'll poke around and see what it looks like the lines are doing.

Sweet. According to that diagram, I think I'm also missing item 33. I haven't pulled it apart of course, but I'm not seeing any sort of "collar" on the black rod inside the rubber bushings. Can't feel one with my finger inside the "eye" either. It's like they were just kind of ... i dunno, someone just pushed the rubber on there and either forgot the other parts or decided it didn't matter.

(I'm thinking it matters.)

Makes me wonder what else isn't installed right in this area, too...

Is the sway bar (that's the black bar?) under compression from the shocks? I guess I'll figure it out once I have the wheels off, but just wondering how much hassle I'm in for.

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    A bit surprising someone installed this without the washers, the bushing look fairly new! That said, these bushing tend to break down fairly quickly, you will get some clunks and less precise roll control but not a safety issue.

Might find out who did the bushing work, they probably have a couple of washers lying around...

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    What keeps the washer on the inside of the sway bar snug against the bushing? Just eyeballing it, it looks like it would just slide along the rod as the rubber is doing.

8. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The ~2" at the end of the sway bar steps down about 4mm for the threaded end that runs through the bushings and nut, so the inner washer basically has that smaller diameter and stops up against the fatter main body of the sway bar. The rear actually has the inner "washer" integrated into the bar itself.

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Be advised with 33 that it's one of those items where the diagrams are sometimes incorrect. Those spacer bushings are shown as needed on both the front and rear, but one of the bars actually has their added thickness machined in already. I remember only needing one set, but forget if it was for front or back. Superformance UK has these parts least expensively.

Sway bar isn't DIRECTLY under compression from the shocks and can be safely manipulated or removed. Where it gets tricky sometimes is that the shock exerts downward force on the hub/control arms, which are connected to the other end of the drop link. As shady as this will sound in writing, I actually used the OEM tire jack and a short piece of 2x4 to slightly jack the wheel hub up in order to get enough play to detach the drop link. Worked like a charm. I have all sorts of pics when I get home later.

10. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    The flat washers are required back and front to keep the rubber bushes tight. You can use standard metric fender washers as the will work but the OD is too large. The OEM look neater but do not perform any different.

The spherical spacer washers are listed at both ends but are only needed at the front (and then only two) to provide separation between the silent bloc bushing pressed into the drop link and the a-arm. The rear a-arm is shaped to provide the separation without a spacer.

Note that on some (all?) the parts diagrams the bolt through the drop link bushing, through the a-arm (the long bolt with the shoulder) is shown the wrong way round.

Regards
    David

11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
  12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thanks for all the great advice and pictures. Definitely feel comfortable moving forward. Going to pull some things apart this weekend and see what isn't there... and also find some functional washers that aren't $38 each. ;)

Seriously, I love this forum. The knowledge here is so invaluable. Thanks again guys.

13. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Finding washers of that dimension won't be the problem, but rather the thickness. A word of caution if you're going outside of OEM: Get stainless or zinc chromated of some sort if you go the hardware store route (I'd try Bel-Metric first), because this part of the car is highly prone to splashing and fastener rust. I need to look in my bag of removed fasteners from my project tonight; I may actually have some used spacer tubes.

14. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
  15. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    The thickness is critical. The washer supports side loads on the rubber bushings. A fender washer wont stand up to the loads.

get the right 117730 washers from Ricambi America ($7.11 ea) or Eurospares ($5.49 ea) in the UK

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Here's what I'm seeing on Ricambi's site:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/308-group/308gtb-gts/front-suspension-wishbones/105334-washer.html
    105334 WASHER \ $35.39 Each

Part #34, this diagram:
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/308-group/308qv/front-suspension-wishbones.html

I'd totally pay $7/per, if #117730 is identical. Have already ordered new rubbers just an hour ago from Ricambi, so if those 2 parts are identical I'll just call Daniel in the AM and add those to the box.

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thanks Wildcat - just took the bits apart an hour ago (couldn't wait for the weekend) - luckily the spacer tubes are still on the car. Rubber bushings looked "not terrible, I guess" but I'm replacing them cause "while I'm at it." ;)

18. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    117730 is the 328 part, 105334 is the 308 part. I don't know if they are same or different.

19. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Shipwright's Disease. That's how it begins. Tell us the specs when the engine teardown begins. ;-)

Lester

20. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I looking for complete redone my suspension for my Euro 328 GTB. Shock absorbers and all bushes.

Anyone could tell me how long time for this work and idea of the cost ? Examples of invoices ?

Thanks in advance

21. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It depends how deep you want to go. New shocks run about $1600, springs run about $100 ea if yours are worn out. Most people talk about replacing bushings, but really are referring to the rubber bushings at the inner control arm mounts. For FULL bushings, there also are complex, hard metal bushings at the outer rear control arms, and ball joints at the front outer control arms, which can get pricey, like $1000 for everything if you go aftermarket from Superformance. Otherwise there are 16 rubber bushings that are about $50ea OEM list price, plus the expensive stuff. Doing rotors as well? $100ea if you buy Rutlands high-grade aftermarket discs. Re-packing the grease and bearings in your wheel hubs? Bearings will be about $100-200 per wheel, plus either the ring nut socket tool or the labor of having a pro rebuild them. And, of course, you gonna powdercoat or refinish the control arms while they're apart? Add another hundred or two for batch powder coating, depending on where you live. Having suffered through this, I can tell you that pressing out the solid bushings is NOT fun, and the whole process can be a slog. Very dangerous to try to change your own springs. Ive heard several 308 owners tells me $4-5k to have a dealer do the bushings and refurb.

22. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    I replaced all my control arm bushings front and rear, new tie rods, new sway bar bushings, rebuilt my Koni shocks, new outer control arm bushings on the rear, new boots inner and outer boots on the drive shafts and repainted every part I worked on and also repacked the front hubs and new seals. Replaced the steering bushings, replaced the brake lines, new pads, new front rotors and a bunch of other small tasks "while I was in there"....

About $2000 worth of parts, 2 months of 3-4 nights a week work and some weekends and a $200 4 wheel alignment.

The local dealer had quoted $15,000 but would not have done all the painting etc. that we do as a matter of course.

I will say that the car is much, much, much tighter and handles much better. Though I would have said it was good before I did all the work.... it's so much better now.

One of the most satisfying things I have done to the car.

(1987 328GTS)

23. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have very recently rebuilt the rear suspension on my 308 GT4. I replaced every bush, inner, outer, shock absorbers and anti-roll bars. I also replaced the CV joints and boots. All of the bolts were re-plated and all of the washers and nuts were replaced, including the ludicrously expensive CV joint nuts.
    The total cost was around £1,500.

Paul

24. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Thanks for your reply

25. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I just wanted to throw in a quick followup - and a quick thanks to everyone for their advice and reference images.

Got it all sorted out. Ricambi came through with rubber bushings, as I knew they would. Didn't go with the $40/per washer 12x32 OEM solution, but found some good 12x39 thick washers at the hardware shop that worked nicely. Hopefully a future owner (if there ever is one) will forgive me here; at least take it in consolation that at least I put it back in a "non-damaged" way, and won't add $120 to my selling price. ;)