Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 308/328

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Doug
Coolant from water pump weep hole ?

Just happened on my last drive. Started puking coolant from the weep hole after a spirited drive. Should that be a "don't drive until rebuilt" problem or can I drive it as I wait for parts for a rebuild. I hate having downtime in a car. It only seemed to start leaking after I got in my garage and shut it down.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: michael
rebuild now,air can now get in the system and it will over heat now too
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike 996
The purpose of the weep hole is to let you know that the seal is failing. So...time to rebuild it. I would personally rebuild it ASAP but OTOH, it will not fail catastrophically all at once so it's not as if you can't drive it at all. I know folks who have driven cars with weeping water pumps for several thousand miles but, of course, you will be dripping the coolant the whole time and need to keep a close watch on that.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Brent Pilon
Happened to me. Eventually It will start smoking at stop lights. Water pumps are relatively cheap and only a little bit of a pain to install. $250 for rebuilt if I'm not mistaking. Should be able to get one quick.
Last thing you want is the car to overheat.
By the way, the weep hole is very hard to see without removing a whole bunch of crap. Are you sure it's the water pump and not some hoses. Unlikely but thought I would mention.
Brent.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Just happened on my last drive. Started puking coolant from the weep hole after a spirited drive. Should that be a "don't drive until rebuilt" problem or can I drive it as I wait for parts for a rebuild. I hate having downtime in a car. It only seemed to start leaking after I got in my garage and shut it down.
Anti-freeze is leaking past the seal and washing the grease out of the bearings. The bearings overheat and the WP shaft freezes and locks up. The belt breaks and the engine over heats. If you have the single belt version then the alternator stops working. Park it and fix it.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Howard Musolf
Wink Pressure Test

I would suggest you add some coolant dye to the system, pressure test the cooling system. Lift the car in the air and use a black light to see where the coolant leak actually is. There are many hose connections and possibilities for coolant to excape from, adding dye and a black light will point you in the right direction.

I also agree that once a water pump is passing coolant out of the weep hole, it needs to be replaced. I would never use a rebuilt or rebuild a water pump for any car. The cost of a new pump is not all that expensive and consider the cost of an engine with a low cost rebuilt water pump. When I remanufactured my motor, i purchased a hi capacity water pump just for added cooling.

Howard Musolf
1981 308 gtsi
1982 400i Cabriolet
Maserati Spider
2 many brass era cars
Old 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Doug B
Did my waterpump last January, used an outfit called Flying Dutchman Water Pumps. Had learned about them from F-chat. Sent them my pump and they rebuilt it in 2 days, $250.00 including return shipping, and it has a 2 year quarantee. While I had the pump out, I replaced the 2 coolant hoses that are under the intake plenum, it's a little tight in there but using a small 1/4" drive socket was able to loosen & remove the hose clamps. The torque settings I used are: (4) bolts @18 -21 ft/lb, and (3) nuts @ 8 ft/lb. Good luck.

Flying Dutchman Water Pumps
Tony Coenradi
200 Davis Creek Rd
Selma, OR 97538
1(888)595-1110
Old 06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brock
The water pump just seized on my Mondial....fortunately it happened in my garage just before heading out for a drive. Parts for the rebuild are in hand..probably a project for my weekend enjoyment..

Brock
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Martin N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0768 View Post

.......I would never use a rebuilt or rebuild a water pump for any car. The cost of a new pump is not all that expensive and consider the cost of an engine with a low cost rebuilt water pump. ...
Hello from Germany,

the current new waterpumps Ferrari supplies via official dealers are simply crap and a thoroughly rebuilt waterpump is a thousand times better.
I installed one of those during last winter and it was leaking from the beginning.
Furthermore there are the cheapest chinese bearings inside those pumps, I have ever seen. Woodworkers use that manufacturer for drawers and similar tasks.
The impeller is made of brittle plastic and has evident axial and radial runout.
I have then rebuilt one of my oldest waterpump with two new bearings and a new seal. This one works.
I cannot understand and accept the quality of the repro spare parts Ferrari is supplying since a few years.

Best Regards

Martin
Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Doug
I ordered the parts for rebuild and hopefully I will have it finished this weekend. Pump is out and I am waiting on the parts.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug328 View Post
Did my waterpump last January, used an outfit called Flying Dutchman Water Pumps. Had learned about them from F-chat. Sent them my pump and they rebuilt it in 2 days, $250.00 including return shipping, and it has a 2 year quarantee. While I had the pump out, I replaced the 2 coolant hoses that are under the intake plenum, it's a little tight in there but using a small 1/4" drive socket was able to loosen & remove the hose clamps. The torque settings I used are: (4) bolts @18 -21 ft/lb, and (3) nuts @ 8 ft/lb. Good luck.

Flying Dutchman Water Pumps
Tony Coenradi
200 Davis Creek Rd
Selma, OR 97538
1(888)595-1110
He did mine a few years back and said it would last for another 100K miles. He said I should never have to have it replaced again and if it leaked just send it back and he will fix it. We'll see as it's still running years later.