Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: L. Ike Hunt
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
I did have one occasion where the locking hex nuts were not replaced and sure enough, the long bolt gouging a inner wheel was the next sound I heard......
You haven't had much luck with your cars, have you ?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Bubba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fave View Post
TONS of luck....all bad.

No, just kidding, I guess having several, all used, I have dealt with varying levels of repair expertise.

I mean, once examined whoever rebuilt the rear suspension on that car left off ALL of the locking hex nuts, replacing them with standard ones...

The devil is in the details, as we like to say in architecture!

I tell people all the time the 'romance' of a Ferrari is the danger of fire and death in your DAILY COMMUTE!!

Stop, drop, and roll baby!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fave View Post
Actually my luck was good that night, I knocked the wiring jumper out of the fuel pump microswitch under the seat, when I stuffed the signed Buddy Guy Stratocaster behind the seats.

So, leaving the Gala, the Ferrari would not start, we called a taxi cab from the Polo Grounds, and went home.

We got it all sorted in the daylight the next day.

Had the car started, the bolt might have gone astray in the dark at 60MPH on the banking of Loop 610, killing us both and burning up the newly signed Fender guitar!

See?

Luck is how you view it.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Actually my luck was good that night, I knocked the wiring jumper out of the fuel pump microswitch under the seat, when I stuffed the signed Buddy Guy Stratocaster behind the seats.

So, leaving the Gala, the Ferrari would not start, we called a taxi cab from the Polo Grounds, and went home.

We got it all sorted in the daylight the next day.

Had the car started, the bolt might have gone astray in the dark at 60MPH on the banking of Loop 610, killing us both and burning up the newly signed Fender guitar!

See?

Luck is how you view it.
Buddy Guy? I saw him perform at his place up in Chicago. I think he was stumbling drunk but when he went on stage unannounced he made all the talent that night appear like a high school talent contest. It was his clear crisp voice that really opened my eyes. I was questioning the sound system before that point.

and.....

This restoration is looking beautiful. If I had the means I could see doing this to my Mondial just to know what it was like when it was new.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
TONS of luck....all bad.

No, just kidding, I guess having several, all used, I have dealt with varying levels of repair expertise.

I mean, once examined whoever rebuilt the rear suspension on that car left off ALL of the locking hex nuts, replacing them with standard ones...

The devil is in the details, as we like to say in architecture!

I tell people all the time the 'romance' of a Ferrari is the danger of fire and death in your DAILY COMMUTE!!

Stop, drop, and roll baby!!!
All in good fun
Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Did more engine work this morning then did some work on the car itself. Rads in, new A/C condenser in and lines all hooked up. Rad fans were sorted out prior to dropping the rad in. New foam around the rad, will add some to the hood as per original. Hood on of course, latches aligned and functional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00283.jpg (75.8 KB, 1092 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00285.jpg (82.1 KB, 1092 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00290.jpg (52.4 KB, 1096 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00292.jpg (67.2 KB, 1096 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00300.jpg (55.6 KB, 1091 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00304.jpg (47.0 KB, 1086 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00305.jpg (49.2 KB, 1085 views)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

I love the Euro side markers!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Claude Laforest
This restoration is looking beautiful. If I had the means I could see doing this to my Mondial just to know what it was like when it was new.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they were that nice when new. That is overrestored IMO. But that's the way to go!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

[/QUOTE]

I don't think they were that nice when new. That is overrestored IMO. But that's the way to go![/QUOTE]

Why over restored? Everything is either plated or painted as it was when new. The frame has loads of garbage in the paint because we left it as it was other than cleaning and repainting it. OEM dirt in tact! When a car is new, everything is new looking, thats ill Ive done here so its not over restored at all IMO. None of the individual new or new looking parts look any better than something new, no chrome, no flash, nothing over the top.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

It looks great, Paul.

That was one of JRV's favorite comments: "It was working really well, when it left Maranello!"
..and then he would go about sorting some monkey work revisions on a car....

Those new units up front will make a WORLD of difference in both the engine cooling and A/C performance, I am sure.....

Good flow is always the answer!

And as Birdman's radiator experience shows our rubber hoses can clog one really badly without ever giving exterior sign of age deterioration.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Brett Gagnon
I know Paul will do a more complete round up in the next few days, but a few more pictures as he finishes off the front end, the BB horse looks great, thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00334.jpg (37.9 KB, 913 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00350.jpg (40.8 KB, 915 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00354.jpg (43.1 KB, 913 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00355.jpg (35.8 KB, 914 views)
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Now your just showing off

Looks great Brett, can't wait to see it !
Old 04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

I don't think they were that nice when new. That is overrestored IMO. But that's the way to go![/QUOTE]

Why over restored? Everything is either plated or painted as it was when new. The frame has loads of garbage in the paint because we left it as it was other than cleaning and repainting it. OEM dirt in tact! When a car is new, everything is new looking, thats ill Ive done here so its not over restored at all IMO. None of the individual new or new looking parts look any better than something new, no chrome, no flash, nothing over the top.[/QUOTE]

Newman, I hope I didn't insult you saying that. I really like your work and i wish I could affort such a resto. What I mean is when doing this (and I know what I'm talking about I worked for LMC in TO years ago and have always been restoring cars on a hobby basis) we take care of every details one at a time and try not to damage anything or scratch anything. At the factory they picked the parts from the bin that came from the supplier who didn't care if it had surface scraping or anything like this. The plating has aged on the shelf or dusted over time. For all these reasons I think a new car was never as nice as a fully restored car. But I agree ferraris being hand made one at a time it could have been a little different but I'm sure not as nice. JMHO.

Please don't take my comment as a negative, it was not my intention! Maybe I shouldn't have used the word over restored but only say never as nice.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by godabitibi View Post
I don't think they were that nice when new. That is overrestored IMO. But that's the way to go!

Why over restored? Everything is either plated or painted as it was when new. The frame has loads of garbage in the paint because we left it as it was other than cleaning and repainting it. OEM dirt in tact! When a car is new, everything is new looking, thats ill Ive done here so its not over restored at all IMO. None of the individual new or new looking parts look any better than something new, no chrome, no flash, nothing over the top.[/QUOTE]

Newman, I hope I didn't insult you saying that. I really like your work and i wish I could affort such a resto. What I mean is when doing this (and I know what I'm talking about I worked for LMC in TO years ago and have always been restoring cars on a hobby basis) we take care of every details one at a time and try not to damage anything or scratch anything. At the factory they picked the parts from the bin that came from the supplier who didn't care if it had surface scraping or anything like this. The plating has aged on the shelf or dusted over time. For all these reasons I think a new car was never as nice as a fully restored car. But I agree ferraris being hand made one at a time it could have been a little different but I'm sure not as nice. JMHO.

Please don't take my comment as a negative, it was not my intention! Maybe I shouldn't have used the word over restored but only say never as nice.[/QUOTE]

Not insulted at all I was just curious why you thought that. You're probably right about scratches and chips as the car was put together on the line or plating chewed up on bolts and nuts as things were tightened up plus they were road tested then washed. Ill admit I did up the fasteners by hand, couldn't see the sense in plating everything then hitting them with an impact gun, kinda defeats the purpose and effort.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

you guys need to learn how to use the quote functionality

now update the thread Paul

Last edited by brettgagnon; 04-19-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: how now brown cow
Old 04-19-2012, 08:24 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Hey Brett teach me how to do the quote. Sometimes they are in a blue frame sometimes not. I don't know what I'm doing wrong :-(
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

hitting the quote button is usually significant enough, but if you are erasing text and by accident screw up the formatting after that, it carries over and then some

Quote:
i did this by starting with the word quote surrounded by [] and i end it with /quote also surrounded by [] with all the text i want in the middle (see the picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quote.jpg (15.1 KB, 815 views)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettgagnon View Post
hitting the quote button is usually significant enough, but if you are erasing text and by accident screw up the formatting after that, it carries over and then some
Test.it woked this time

Thanks Brett
Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Paul is elbow deep into 3.4L project(s) on Gertrude and his yellow 308, thus the lack of posts.

Needless to say, the excitement is growing dramatically here
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Sean F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Did more engine work this morning then did some work on the car itself. Rads in, new A/C condenser in and lines all hooked up. Rad fans were sorted out prior to dropping the rad in. New foam around the rad, will add some to the hood as per original. Hood on of course, latches aligned and functional.
Where did you find a replacement OEM style AC Condensor?