Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 308/328

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Art Kimmel
Pilot bearing help

Another dumb move on my part.
I failed to measure the depth of the seat on the end of the crank for the pilot bearing. It's been years since I pulled all of this apart and I am wondering if it is proper for the bearing to not seat flush to the surface of the crank. It's about 0.140" out and I am reluctant to whale on it any harder than I already have. Pulling it probably means another new bearing so I thought I would ask if anyone in our forum knows.
Thanks for any help! Picture attached.
Art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02829.JPG (49.2 KB, 85 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Steve Magnusson
See the cross-section drawing on page D6 in the 308GT4 WSM -- some protrusion is present to center the flywheel (and there's some nominal clearance on the far side to the shoulder on the splined shaft). The ID hole in your flywheel may show some witness/rust marking from the old bearing being there -- if you account for the radius on the bearing outer race corner, it might give you an idea of the prior ballpark protrusion.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Art Kimmel
Thanks Steve!

The drawing makes me feel better about the protrusion. It's probably a good assumption that the drawing is somewhat to scale. The 0.14" that I measure is about 1/3 of the 0.4" measured flywheel thickness in that area. I'll leave the bearing for now and try to verify spline clearance when I attach the bell housing.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:38 PM
F1 Veteran
Sponsor

Full Name: SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Magnusson View Post
See the cross-section drawing on page D6 in the 308GT4 WSM -- some protrusion is present to center the flywheel (and there's some nominal clearance on the far side to the shoulder on the splined shaft). The ID hole in your flywheel may show some witness/rust marking from the old bearing being there -- if you account for the radius on the bearing outer race corner, it might give you an idea of the prior ballpark protrusion.
Steve's right, the outer race is used as a concentric center for the flywheel. typical protrusion is ~0.150"