Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 308/328

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Ken
deicing solutions

with the onset of icy roads, the road trucks have been spewing out their deicing chemicals...magnesium chloride, or calcium chloride, which dry to a powdery white dust. my question is would you drive your car on these roads if the spray has dried up and the roads are dry?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Only after it rained a few days to wash it away. If it didn't I would use my truck.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Wayne
I live in the North East and that dust gets everywhere that air does - if you take off a fender panel you would just stare in disbelief - That's why I lease my Benz's now - 30 months and turn them back in - the 308 stays inside until the Spring rains wash it all away.....
Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Claude Laforest
And this stuff is even worst on aluminum. Stay away from it.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: dc
Heck i wouldnt drive on it. Just think of the enviromental factors that stuff is causing.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Mark W.R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve King View Post
Only after it rained a few days to wash it away. If it didn't I would use my truck.
Ditto.

My car is parked period, for the next 5 months.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

I drive it on nice days in the winter and spray the bottom off well before pulling it back into the garage. A small price to pay so i can drive it year round on weekends (when there is no snow).
Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by waymar View Post
I live in the North East and that dust gets everywhere that air does - if you take off a fender panel you would just stare in disbelief - That's why I lease my Benz's now - 30 months and turn them back in - the 308 stays inside until the Spring rains wash it all away.....
I did that back when I lived in the midwest (Ohio). Cars rusted after 3-5 years of winter in the '70s and '80s.

Except Italian cars, which rusted after 3-5 hours.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: L. Ike Hunt
My Garage
Was driving on the 401 last week, 16 lanes wide and a cloud of white dust at least 30' in the air over the whole highway. I wanted to go park my F150 never mind driving the GT4.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Ken
I guess my thinking was that you need water to react with the deicing chemicals to cause the corrosion...as long as the car stayed dry the dust wouldn't hurt it...however I will play it safe and leave it garaged. thanks for all the responses.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

I put my cars away the first time I hear the salt trucks hit the road. That stuff gets everywhere and even if you clean your car off after you are not going to get it all it collects in all the nooks and crannys and works away at the metal.
I remember one February being behind a Testarossa and I could see the salt just getting thrown up underneath the car and into the engine bay as I was driving behind it.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Bradley Price
My question is lets say you were out driving and got stuck on a salty road due to a change in the weather and then made it home. what is the best way to remove the salt reside from the car without "activating" the salt by washing it off with water. Is there a soap solution anyone recommends to spray on there to rinse it off? My Alfa had to be pressed into duty over thanksgiving and I have got some salt residue in the undercarriage.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by swept View Post
with the onset of icy roads, the road trucks have been spewing out their deicing chemicals...magnesium chloride, or calcium chloride, which dry to a powdery white dust. my question is would you drive your car on these roads if the spray has dried up and the roads are dry?
We live in Michigan and the car does not see the highway from NOV. to ,if we are lucky May. Stay away from the corosives! Lost
Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbrad View Post
My question is lets say you were out driving and got stuck on a salty road due to a change in the weather and then made it home. what is the best way to remove the salt reside from the car without "activating" the salt by washing it off with water. Is there a soap solution anyone recommends to spray on there to rinse it off? My Alfa had to be pressed into duty over thanksgiving and I have got some salt residue in the undercarriage.
First if its well below freezing don't put it into a heated garage. Leave the stuff frozen until you can clean it off thoroughly.