Help with removal of rear interior panels | FerrariChat

Help with removal of rear interior panels

Discussion in '348/355' started by whyte, Aug 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    After fixing my horn (thanks to the Brotherhood), I am now attempting to repair my rear headliner which was sagging a bit.

This is a 348ts, and the part I am referring to is the black leather headliner that surrounds the rear dome lamp and extends to the side rear windows.

Removing all of this so far has been a puzzle! So far I've dropped the dome lamp and found 2 screws in there. I have also loosened the sides by popping them loose, but it appears that I must remove the entire leather deck (where the seatbelts go) in front of the rear window, just to remove the top section.

I'm even starting to think I have to get under the car, remove the bottom panels just to take out some interior parts. Is this right?

Surely one of you have done this and can point me in the right direction to prevent breakage?

I am documenting the procedure via digital camera so your time would help support our growing do-it-yourself efforts.

Thanks.

2. littleblackflash

Jan 29, 2005
    To remove the trim behind the seats and the bit where the seat belts are you need to undo the bolts in the engine bay. This allows the centre section to be removed.
    You should find the 2 nuts between the water pipes.

3. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    That worked, however I am back at an impass.

I am working under the assumption I need to remove all of this to get the top headliner out, the piece with the dome light in it. My working theory is that if I take out all of the bottom, I can take the edge pieces off which will somehow release the top.

Aside from the 2 screws in the compartment where the light was removed, and the snap-type fasteners on either side, I can't figure out what else is holding that top panel in. I've tried gentle pulling, and even not-so gentle pulling in the hopes that it is simply stuck on the lip.. but alas nada. Can't see how any other screws could be hidden up there.

4. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    #4 whyte, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok. Figured it out, and as promised will post illustrated guide.

To Remove Headliner:

1. Pop out the dome light assembly. I did this by prying the light cover off (the white translucent piece) and then simply pulling out the rest. This will reveal 2 screws. Remove them.

2. Next (thx Littleblackfish) you need to remove 4 nuts in the engine compartment. Two on either side for two different trim pieces. The first nut is showin in pic 2, between the water pipes. The second is not pictured, but is up under the lip of the engine deck about 2/3 of the way back behind the thin, black "leather" trimmed piece that runs along the back window. You will have to reach to find it. Note that it is horizonal, not vertical.

3. After that, I tilted the big black trim pieces (behind either seat) forward and was able to see a few screws to remove. In hindsight, I would hold off on these until you do the rivets.

4. Hidden behind the weather stripping are the KEYS to removal- rivets. There 5 total, 2 on either side near the bottom of the rear window weatherstripping (near the top of the door) and three on the top evenly spaced. Drill them carefully! Don't push your drill through the headliner.

5. With rivets removed, the whole package just comes out. Note that I removed all the pieces on the base of the rear deck BEFORE the headliner. It has to bend slightly during removal to clear the b pillar, which is leather wrapped. I don't think you can remove the leater on the pillar so be careful not to scratch it.

6. Gratuitous picture of wiring so I don't forget what goes where.

The last pic shows a strange yellow connector. I didn't see that until the headliner was removed, so I'm venturing a guess that this was used for the rear roof antenna on earlier models? Anyone care to enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Now off to the fabric store for some foam backing. I will likely use a think foam and 3M contact adhesive to reattach everything. Also have to pick up a rivet gun and a 12 pack. Here's to hoping it goes in easier than it came out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I don't think you told us what you found with the horn problem.

6. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    The horn was simple. The air pump was accessible underneath the passenger side access cover in the front trunk.

It has two nozzles. I found a loose hose, hooked it back up and presto!

I'm guessing the other nozzle is an inlet... either that or I'm missing another hose.

7. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Old thread, but worth an update. John, thanks for the excellent instructions and photos - it made getting my headliner out last night a snap. I was able to remove it without taking the lower trim pieces out:

1. Remove dome light and the two screws as per your step 1;
    2. Remove weatherstripping and drill out 3 top pop-rivets (did not need to remove the ones beside b pillars);
    3. Pulled headliner straight down starting at front edge by pop-rivets;
    4. Worked my way back and kept pulling straight down to pop out the plastic retainer clips;
    5. Pulled the entire unit forward working it around the b pillars.

8. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Cool. Glad it was helpful and that you were able to improve upon it.

9. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for this .. was looking for an illustrated guide as I want to tighten up my headliner.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If possible might want to add to 348 DIY thread nice play by play. Thanks

11. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland