355 Xenon Kit Installation HOWTO | FerrariChat

355 Xenon Kit Installation HOWTO

Discussion in '348/355' started by kyopo, Jul 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kyopo

kyopo Rookie

Jul 16, 2007
    First off, thanks to the folks who gave me tips on this, but I wanted to record what I did so that others may find this information useful in the future.

This was installed in a '99 355 F1. I have no idea if this might vary for previous year models.

The installation looks awesome. Given that the 355 headlamps already have projector-style lenses in them, the installation looks almost OEM (despite the lack of auto-leveling). It is probably one of the best modifications you can make to the car for appearance and practicality. The lights are much brighter and do a materially better job of illuminating than the regular halogens. And they just look freakin' cool on the car.

I did try to take pictures, but for some reason they all came out horribly and it wasn't worth posting the pictures. At the very least, here are the steps I went through to install Xenon lights in the 355.

There are dozens of choices out there and I selected this company for the xenon kit based on the build quality of their ballasts which rely more on newer SMT technology. Plus they're thinner and nearly waterproof. I would highly recommend the 4300k. Going into the 5k or 6k range gives it too much of a blue tint and starts to give you that ricer-boy look, if you like that, go for it.

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1312

1. Raise the headlights. Disconnect the battery with the rotating switch in the trunk.
    2. Remove the front headlight plastic by unscrewing the 4 screws on each headlamp.
    3. Jack up the front of the car and get jackstands underneath.
    4. Remove the front undertray on the driver or passenger side. There should be 5 or 6 screws on the bottom and one from the side right in front of the wheel.
    5. Once you have the undertray off, look up and you'll see a thick black cable that goes into your headlight housing, it may have a yellow plastic clip on it. You want to disconnect that cable. This is the only cable that you should need to disconnect for the headlamp to be removed.
    5. If you look at the arm linkage for the actual headlight pod that moves up and down and the motor that drives this, you'll see a single nut that is holding the linkage to the pod. You want to unscrew this. I did this from underneath with a small wrench on the driver side, but on the passenger side, given the battery location, I had to do this from above through the gap between the hood and the headlight housing.
    6. Once you have the arm linkage unscrewed, hold up the headlight housing and put some pressure on the linkage to loosen it from the bolt. This will allow the headlight pod to move up and down freely. Without doing this, I didn't have enough clearance to remove the headlamp from the pod. I felt like I was putting way too much upwards pressure on the housing to get the headlamp removed.
    7. Now raise the headlamp housing and there are three white plastic clips holding the headlamp in place. They're right next to the adjustment screws for the headlamp. Unclip those to loosen the headlamp. You might want to protect the front bumper area right in front of the headlight with some masking tape or an old t-shirt/towel as when you remove the headlamp you don't want to accidentally scratch your paint.
    8. Now you can put some upward pressure on the headlight/pod housing and remove the headlamp in one piece. I ended up angling the top out first and then the bottom, being careful not to scratch the front bumper as it exited the housing.
    9. Unclip and remove the regular bulb and stick in your new HID bulb.
    10. Stick the headlamp back into the headlight housing, feeding the new cables from your new bulb through the headlight pod and back through the hole in the rear black wall.
    11. You'll need to get underneath the car and inspect the cables to make sure everything looks okay.
    12. Try connecting everything up including the ballast and turn the headlights on to make sure it works. You should have a beautiful white xenon light coming out of one of your headlights.
    13. Turn the car back off and disconnect the battery again. Make sure the headlights were on when you disconnected the battery again to make the motors think they're in the up position.
    14. Found a place to mount the ballast. Depending on your kit, you might have one of those double-sided sticky pads (which seems unsafe) or a mounting kit. Mine came with a nice metal mounting bracket which had a slot for me to mount it safely on one of the bolts holding the horn siren on the passenger side and the alarm siren on the driver side. Once mounted, I re-connected all the cables, made sure everything looked good.
    15. IMPORTANT: Before you cable-tie any of the loose cables, have someone hold up the headlight housing at its full open height and make sure your cables have any slack. Now cable-tie everything this way. Otherwise you may end up stretching cables every time your headlights pop up and down.
    16. Connect the arm linkage with the headlight in the up position (you may need someone to help you hold the headlight pod up while you screw the nut in.
    17. Put the undertray back on and do the same steps on the other side.

Even fumbling around a bit as it was my first time working on a 355, I got it done in under 3 hrs. Feel free to post any questions or flames. I'm happy to try and answer them :D

2. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Good post! Thanks for the info. This is actually the next modification for me. Thanks allot.

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Nice writeup---Which exact kit did you purchase from the site above. It shows 3 or more different kits..

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nice write up. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of OEM Ferrari low beams vs HID conversion vs HIR 9012 bulbs.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Sweet write up!

6. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    Did you do the high and low beams?

7. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    It has a drop down box for "vehicle with on-board warning display". Does the 355 have this? I know we do not have a read-out, but what about a warning light?

8. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    How can I tell if my current lights are Xenon/HID or not?

9. Dice996C4S

Dice996C4S Karting

May 7, 2006
    Cerritos, CA
    If your lights are yellowish, then it's not HID. HID is very white.

10. Angelo08

Angelo08 Rookie

Sep 26, 2006
    NY
    Heres a mint waterproof kit. i am running it on my NSX and TR. THey replaced the 9year old Phillips kit on the TR. Will be installing it on my 355 as well. Instant ballast fireup and OEM 4300k light output. Heres some pics. I converted the TR to H1 bulbs
    OEM H1
    [​IMG]
    HID setup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ask for Cliff. Great guy to work with.
    [​IMG]
    I have had no issues with one lighting up while the other is default as i had on my Xetronics kit 3 years back on the 355.
    Once i do the 355 install i will provide pics.
    www.mobilehid.com.

11. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    They look pretty white, but I have nothing to compare them to. Is there any sort of marking that i\I can look for?

12. Angelo08

Angelo08 Rookie

Sep 26, 2006
    NY
    the projector of the low beam should have a blueish-purplish look to it at different angles. When you turn on the lights you should notice a fireup of bright bluish light that usually tapers off to a bright white. Sounds kind of confusing. HIDs are hard to look directly into. I dont recommend doing so because thats usually a test procedure.
    heres a reference that may help.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137235

13. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    #13 Cinemagic, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    They look like light upgrades from stock.

http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H7.html

15. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  16. Dice996C4S

Dice996C4S Karting

May 7, 2006
    Cerritos, CA
    The PIAA substitute bulbs look good and better than stock but they have a downside... I know majority of us don't drive at night especially when raining but for these bulbs, you have 0 visibility.

For the "HID" conversion kits, you have 100% visibility rain or shine...

Also, these bulbs tend to emit more power (100w) thus it heats up tremendously and can melt the plastic on your factory lens...

I'm no lighting expert but I had various experiences on lighting since this is one of the first mods I always do to my cars...

17. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways