Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 348/355 - Sponsored by Bradan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Mr. Sideways
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standig View Post
Did you have the water pump replaced with the 30k?

It uses a plastic impeller that held by a cheap metal tang. If the tag is not tight the impeller can slip causing low flow.

Low coolant as in air in system can cause problem.

If fans turn on and you can feel the air pull thru the radiator is not electrical.

I still could be low flow thru the radiator(s) .....

However the only thing that happens when you rev the enging is making the water pump push the water.

If you drive at say 50 mph does it over heat? If it does not I would think the radiators are fine.

m2cents

Good post, but keep in mind that revving the engine will increase current output from the alternator (which might make a marginal fan functional) as well as push more water through the water pump.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
F1 Rookie
Consultant

Full Name: Vern
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Doubt View Post
The plastic radiator caps are just held on by metal tabs from the radiator core. Bend the metal tabs up and the plastic caps lift off easily.

Place the caps back on and then bend the metal tabs back down to secure.
Radiator shops won't do (or at least good ones won't) it they break to easily and there is a rubber seal under the cap that can't be replaced and as I said before the plastic gets brittle and breaks after 10 or so years of use. They need to be replaced to be safe.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern cornell View Post
Radiator shops won't do (or at least good ones won't) it they break to easily and there is a rubber seal under the cap that can't be replaced and as I said before the plastic gets brittle and breaks after 10 or so years of use. They need to be replaced to be safe.
I've taken mine off, made my own gasket, and replaced the black plastic radiator caps for my 348.

They don't break easily. There are so many metal locking tabs that it's no big deal if you even break a couple of those, either.

You can remove them by hand with a flat-blade screwdriver in minutes. It's a similar operation to removing the metal covers for your Motronic ECUs.

No one should fear taking the caps off. There is nothing to it.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
F1 Rookie
Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Doubt View Post
I've taken mine off, made my own gasket, and replaced the black plastic radiator caps for my 348.

They don't break easily. There are so many metal locking tabs that it's no big deal if you even break a couple of those, either.

You can remove them by hand with a flat-blade screwdriver in minutes. It's a similar operation to removing the metal covers for your Motronic ECUs.

No one should fear taking the caps off. There is nothing to it.
Yeah sure ya did.. LOL. Like I said I wouldn't trust 10 or more year old plastic on a radaitor that needed repair and neither would a reputable radiator shop.
Breaking a couple of tabs no big deal, crap this isn't some 10 year old chevy were talkin' here!? hahaha

Last edited by Llenroc; 10-31-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Quote:
Yeah sure ya did.. LOL. Like I said I wouldn't trust 10 or more year old plastic on a radaitor that needed repair and neither would a reputable radiator shop.
Breaking a couple of tabs no big deal, crap this isn't some 10 year old chevy were talkin' here!? hahaha

No big deal. After getting your above post, I walked out into my garage, pulled my left side 348 radiator out of its Ferrari box (it's my spare, but it's been used for 12 years), and photodocumented taking off the "fragile" or "impossible" black plastic top.

Emailed the photos to my home pc from my cell phone, complete with my old license plate so that you can't go claiming, as you are wont to do, that I just stole these pics from some other web site.

Over time, Vern...you might learn that I back up everything that I say. Always have. Always will. Links. Photos. Whatever it takes. So whenever that little voice inside your head says to you that "No Doubt" won't be able to back up his claims, just keep in mind that you and that voice will always be proven wrong. Time after time. Again and again.
See below.

Pic1 is the left Ferrari 348 radiator zoomed on the plastic cap:
Pic2 is the whole leftside Ferrari 348 radiator:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 348radcapFerrari1.jpg (70.6 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 348radiatorleftferrari2.jpg (53.2 KB, 211 views)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Talking

Pic 3 is prying open the metal locking tabs with a flatblad screwdriver:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pryingmetaltabs348rad3.jpg (73.8 KB, 206 views)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Pic 4 is removing the "fragile" black plastic radiator cap from the leftside Ferrari 348 radiator after 12 years of high heat use:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg removingplasticcap348radferrarileft4.jpg (66.4 KB, 206 views)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Talking

Pic 5 is the inside of the "fragile" black plastic radiator cap and metal core of the left side Ferrari 348 radiator:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insideofcapandcore348radleftferrari5.jpg (90.2 KB, 203 views)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Talking

Pic 6 is the "Fragile" black plastic radiator cap replaced back on my metal 348 left side radiator core...save for the last metal locking tab for which I've placed my sole tool for this job, a flatblade screwdriver, on top:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 348capbackoncoreleftradferrari6.jpg (62.4 KB, 200 views)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Talking

Quote:
Yeah sure ya did.. LOL. ...

Yeah, I sure did. It hasn't even been an hour and I've done it again, photographed the job (because it is *that* easy to do), and posted those photos so that other Fchatters can see that you don't know the first thing about Ferraris, Vern.

Enjoy eating crow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crow.jpg (3.8 KB, 199 views)
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 PM
F1 Rookie
Consultant

LOL Hit a nerve there did I? Getting a little worked up aren't ya hahaha and Isn't that nice you can take apart a radiator! I certainly wouldn't put it in my car and use it again. Relax nothing you can produce will get me to believe you really understand the engineering or mechanics behind these cars because you don't, you put up a good bluff. To many of your posts prove that to me! To me you are just someone who loves to get attention and likes to spin stuff around to make yourself knowledgeable, you would make a good politician

Besides all I was getting at was that most radiator shops would not want to try to repair one these plastic style units it would be better to replace the old part. I would feel more secure in my car out in the middle of nowhere than usin' the "duct tape method of repair"

Last edited by Llenroc; 10-31-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Talking Vern as Monty Python's Black Knight...

Vern, you don't know what you're talking about. You never have.

You were giving out bad advice by trying to convince people that Ferrari 348 and 355 radiators can't be serviced.

...and you're still in denial that you've been handed your own legs. Sort of like the bloody knight in the picture below, you just aren't capable of admitting that you are out of your league here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg verncornellfighting.jpg (16.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Talking Examples of Vern Not Knowing What He's Talking About

Quote:
IIRC you can not recore the newer radiators if you will notice in the pics above those radiators(as all newer Fcars) have plastic tops and bottoms can't get them off and back on without problems. Also that plastic gets brittle over time and breaks fairly easy. If they are bad inside they will need to be replaced. ...

Quote:
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 AM
F1 Rookie
Consultant

You can blabber and blunder all you want I will stick by my post and continue have "no doubt" you are misguided as usual and hope no one takes your advice on doing what you did to your radiator and
then reistall to use it again. Gotta go need go find mt neoprene head gaskets hahaha!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Talking Uh Huh

Quote:
You can blabber and blunder all you want I will stick by my post and continue have "no doubt" you are misguided as usual and hope no one takes your advice on doing what you did to your radiator and
then reistall to use it again. Gotta go need go find mt neoprene head gaskets hahaha!!!
Yeah, right. What are you going to do next, bite my kneecaps?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vernlosesanotherleg.jpg (37.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 AM
F1 Rookie
Consultant

LOL You just don't quit do ya? What are you 8.
Call a radiator shop and ask them if they would recommend doing what you did and then reusing the unit, and if they have done it which I'm sure there are costomers that have asked them to, ask them what kind of luck they had with the unit.

Oh by the way cool pics. this has been fun hahaha
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Talking Vern, have you ever turned a wrench in your life?!

Quote:
LOL You just don't quit do ya? What are you 8.
Call a radiator shop and ask them if they would recommend doing what you did and then reusing the unit, and if they have done it which I'm sure there are costomers that have asked them to, ask them what kind of luck they had with the unit.

Oh by the way cool pics. this has been fun hahaha
Glad you like the pics! Perhaps you could post a few of your own...such as with your engine bonnet cover actually *raised* for once...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin Agnew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standig View Post
Did you have the water pump replaced with the 30k?

It uses a plastic impeller that held by a cheap metal tang. If the tag is not tight the impeller can slip causing low flow.

Low coolant as in air in system can cause problem.

If fans turn on and you can feel the air pull thru the radiator is not electrical.

I still could be low flow thru the radiator(s) .....

However the only thing that happens when you rev the enging is making the water pump push the water.

If you drive at say 50 mph does it over heat? If it does not I would think the radiators are fine.

m2cents
The moment I get the revs up to about 2200rpm the temp starts coming down fast even standings still. It never overheat if it is over about 20km/h
Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin Agnew
Guys I have really enjoyed that friendly chat! on how to fix my car and I have learnt a lot, thanks very much. I am not doing anything to it until after Sunday which is our Ferrari owners club run (one of the oldest clubs in the world at 40). Most of the run will be at 200km/h or faster so it wont overheat. Just keep the revs up on parking. Then I think I will take the radiators out to get them properly cleaned out.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinbag View Post
The moment I get the revs up to about 2200rpm the temp starts coming down fast even standings still. It never overheat if it is over about 20km/h
Offhand I'd say that your fan on one or more of your radiators isn't turning fast enough at idle. That could be due to bad voltage (e.g. an alternator or battery issue or wiring problem such as corrosion) or due to a failing fan motor (or inefficient fan blades such as from an obstruction).