F355 air conditioning is out | FerrariChat

F355 air conditioning is out

Discussion in '348/355' started by lotusdude, Nov 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    I recently wrote about the problems I have been having with my 355's AC/Heat unit kicking on and off whenever it feels like it. After taking it in and having the guys at the dealership look at it they just tell me that they are going to have to spend more time trying to figure out why it is acting this way(IE: more money). I wanted to know if anyone has had any similar problems with the climate control in this model.
    Heres the symptoms.
    1) AC and Heater do not work
    2) When they do work it eventually blows the fuse
    3) Replace the fuse and it still doesnot work
    4) Decides to come on again and then it blows the fuse at the most random times (and continues to mock me).

ANYONE SEEING A PATTERN!

I would greatly appreciate input if someone has had this experience. Does anyone here think its the possibility of a control box going out, or a short in the wiring.
    I could sure use a step by step on analyzing this problem. I just dont know where to start, other than at the fuse box, and working my way backwards. But Im sure there is something I am missing.

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Not sure what the cause may be..Could be a variety of things. If it ends up being the actually HVAC panel, let me know--I have several properly working ones here...New they are like $1800..

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Could be ANYTHING! :D:D

But, sounds to me as if it is a bad earth or a bad fuse holder. :):)

Check the wiring in the back of that plug mate. Actually, remove the HVAC and start the car + a/c and wriggle the plug in the back of the HVAC. See if that cuts it in and out. You could have a faulty plug/HVAC or just a dirty connection. :):)

Either way, have a go yourself mate or you may spend A LOT of money getting this fixed at the dealership. Electrical gremlins can be very very time consuming sometimes. ;);)

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Or........you could just put the windows down and have 'free' air con. :p:p

5. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    When motors (blower fan in this case) get old their resistance goes up. This creates a larger current draw which leads to fuses blowing.

The symptoms can be as you describe and be intermittent. Since the blower is a "moving part" it is usually one of the first suspects. Other issues can be as the other poster suggested: bad grounds, or other bad feeds.

If it were me, replace the blower. Since it is a moving part it is going to fail one day anyway. More time (money) will be wasted diagnosing an intermittent problem than just swapping suspect parts.

Fuse blowing is a big clue. And the blower having high resistance or shorted windings would be the suspect.

Istvan355 likes this.
  6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I think I have a used blower laying around somewhere...

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #7 PAP 348, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008

Perhaps mate, but I am a BIG believer in diagnosing the issue instead of just throwing parts at it till its fixed. :):)

I wouldnt replace the blower motor just because it is a moving part and will fail one day. There is probably nothing wrong with it and the owner could get another 10 + years out of it for all we know. :):)

They can also be checked for high resistance anyways. ;);)

If he takes the car to a GOOD auto-electrician, they may spend bugger all time on it finding the problem. I wouldnt take a Ferrari to the dealer with electrical issues like this. They are not competent auto-elecs. Take it a good auto-elec workshop and let them sort it out. ;);)

8. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Jake, which fuse is blowing? There are two A/C ECUs, one is called the A/C system ecu and the other the A/C ecu. The system ecu controls the panel on the console, in fact if memory serves me the the system ecu is in the A/C control panel. There is also a hidden fuse panel under the trunk panel on the passenger side in the trunk. I have repaired a few of these, and again if memory serves me, one of the most common problems is with the A/C compressor clutch. If the clutch shorts to ground it will blow the fuse and shut down the system. Once the compressor clutch gets hot it may short to ground. Unfortunately, Ferrari does not sell just a clutch and the cost of an OEM A/C compressor will blow your mind. If you find the A/C compressor clutch at fault call Daniel at Ricambi. Solving the A/c problems are never on these cars as they reasonably sophisticated but they are fixable.

Richard Garre , Radcliffe Motorcar Company

9. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    +1, luckily we are heading into Fall/Winter :)

oh wait, he said heater too.. uh oh

sounds like it's your HVAC unit. you might have to bite the bullet and get you one from '285

10. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    Im going to take the havac panel out and get the volt meter on the circuit board of the unit. I am suspecting it could be one of the diodes going out in circuit board and causing current to flow backwards. Which could be a culprit of the fuse getting blown due to increased current moving back into the fuse. Also Im going to apply some cleaner to the grounds and disconnect and reconnect the connections to find out if I am getting a bad current from the hvac to the ecu. If that doesnt work then work Im moving on to the compressor clutch, etc etc . Keep the ideas flowing.
    Thanks to everyone, you guys are awesome.

11. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    The fuse that keeps blowing is the 30 in the hidden fuse box, Its the one suspended by a wire. I get a little while out of it and then it blows it again. Anybody know what I should move on to next?

12. Tokyorich

Tokyorich Rookie

Feb 22, 2017
    Hi, did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I have exactly the same problem in my 348!