Ok one time 348 Alternator questions..... | FerrariChat

Ok one time 348 Alternator questions.....

Discussion in '348/355' started by First Ferrari, Dec 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. First Ferrari

First Ferrari Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    Ok guys I need your help one more time. I have a 95' 348 with alternator issues. I researched all the treads and found the proper regulator and recitifers numbers to replace, well I think.

I know the Nipendenso factory Transpo recitifer IN 220 is crap. I upgraded to the Regitar brand recitifer and regulator and the the rectifier was a very tight fit when connecting the diodes leads, it fit but it was a tight fit.... I buttoned up the alternator with the new parts and connected the positive battery cable to the alternator, reconnected the battery cables and the cable started smoking.... Ok the cable must be grounding out I thought, so I traced the cable from the rear terminal block and it was not grounding. All other cables were just fine no grounding issue. So it is inside the alternator, but the cover is not touching anything.

Now the question do you think that the Regitar brand parts from the past posts were for an earlier model of the Nippo alternator? I used model numbers: regulator - #VRH2005-4A and rectifier - #RN-10 (The 8MM B+ connection version). If so could this cause the alternator to give the false signal of grounding out?

Does any one know the manf. number of the Nippendenso brand alternator used during the 95 year, so I can verify the parts with Regitar?

Also has anyone used this part? it is the OEM manf. but with improvements (??) I was told it was designed to replace the high fail Transpo part #IN220 and is a direct replacement. Here is the link: http://www.transpo.de/cgi-win/product.exe?INR734P.

INR734P REC ND replacing OE NIPPONDENSO

Diodes: 8-50 Amp Press Fit
    Diameter OD: 113 mm
    »» M6x25mm Battery Post (Note the smaller post of 6MM)
    »» Welded Diode to Leadframe Connections
    »» Like INR728 except with Ground Srew Hole

I have seached all the treads and I am questioning the part numbers only because no model years were listed.

I could have just a bad rectifier from Regitar but thought before I order another one I better check the part numbers in case I ordered the wrong parts and what the heck as long as I have the darn thing out I thought that I would replace everything the parts all in are only about $100.00 or so.

Any help would be great!

2. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When I rebuilt my 97 F355 alternator, the rectifier fit in very easily. I think I remember seeing a thread where someone else had a tight fit and the rectifier shorted to the alternator housing. I'll see if I can find it.

3. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
  4. First Ferrari

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    Thanks I did see that post. What is weird is that the rectifier didn't appear to ground out against the cover. I need to look again closer just to make sure. Its only the logical reason for what happened.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #5 ernie, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    It sounds like you have the same alternator that Georg has with the smaller rectifier. At the end of the thread Tom gave the link to you'll see what we figured out on the last page. I think the correct rectifier you need is the smaller 103mm diameter INR739 103mm rectifier, and not the larger 113mm one you installed that had the tight fit.

6. First Ferrari

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    Thanks Ernie, it does appear that I need the 103MM rectifier. I also ordered a back up alternator from a 95 Acura Legend and plan on changing out the regulator on that Acura to a one that will work with our cars. That way I will have the factory one rebuilt and a cheap back-up so no down time if the factory unit drops out again. In Minnesota you only have a few days a year (it seems) to drive your car so down time while waiting for parts is not an option.

7. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    #7 GeorgW, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
    Please verify the number of your alternator: 101211-7580 is the big one with 113 mm rectifier, 101211-5070 or 101211-5071 are the smaller ones with the 103 mm rectifier.

The problem with the 113 mm rectifier mounted on the smaller alternator is that the plus-plate of the rectifier as well as the 4 screws which connects the rectifier with the stator comes in touch with the cover and hereby causes a short circuit.

Regards, Georg

8. First Ferrari

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    I wish I could find some numbers on the alternator, they appear to either have fallen off of been removed. I did notice the 113MM rectifier seemed to be in contact with the cover. I ordered the smaller 103MM just to see after all they are only $18 from Holcombe. I will let you know what I find out.

9. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    I just rebuilt my alternator last week on my 355. I used the RN-10 and it fits exactly. I have the 113mm and there were no issues.

Hope this helps.

10. First Ferrari

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    Well I have the smaller 103mm rectifier, The new parts came in and it fits like a glove. I wish I could find numbers on my alternator but now I know that the car is special in an alternator way....

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it got fixed.

12. First Ferrari

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves

Almost forgot the 103 MM rectifier part number is RN-04 from Regitar for 101211-5070 or 101211-5071. This part has the proper 8mm + post and is 103MM.

The regulator is the same for both the 113mm or 103mm rectifier alternator and is Regitar IN220.

13. First Ferrari

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    Correction the proper part number for the regulator is VRH2005-4A from Regitar not the IN220 I listed above.... Everything else on the prior post is correct.

14. ga68

ga68 Karting

May 22, 2014
    Mulhouse - FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Gaëtan
    #14 ga68, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    348TS
    I just bought the aternator, 101211-7580 what is the right size of the pulley?
    On the one I just bought it has the same pulley as on 101211-7051 that I have up.
    At the same time changing the fastening bracket, belt ref 770 is too short.
    Hence my question.
    Ernie, I can not find the reference of your alternator, maybe I have a bad view.
    Your work was very useful.

15. ga68

ga68 Karting

May 22, 2014
    Mulhouse - FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Gaëtan
    Reprise references 5071 et 5070

16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It's been so long since I rebuilt mine I don't remember what the part number is for my alternator. I would have to go back and look in the thread. But it seems you already did that. I'm glad the thread helped you out.

17. ga68

ga68 Karting

May 22, 2014
    Mulhouse - FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Gaëtan
    The file my much help, just that it would be cool to find the dimention of the 105A kit especially the difference between the high mounting brackets of the alternator

18. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I'll post this on the various Alternator posts so it's everywhere.

For those of us who need the 103mm rectifier, I did confirm with Regitar earlier this week the only difference between the RN-02 and the RN-04 is the size of the stud.

RN-02 -- 6mm stud
    RN-04 -- 8mm stud

Both are 103mm and have the 8-50Amp diodes

so they are both interchangeble by tapping out the stud and putting in the one from your old rectifier.