Barrett Jackson 348 | FerrariChat

Barrett Jackson 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by decardona, Jan 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Did anyone see it last night? 1990 348ts with 21,000 miles, fresh service and full documentation, and it sold for 34,000. Is this a steal, or is this the market.

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Market

3. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Really? I thougt it was a steal ; the 348 market is that low?

4. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    348 market is lower than 308 or 328.

5. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Wow; didn't realize that - worth investigating further....always loved the 348 Spider....

6. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Remember, this is an "auction" value. Seller was obviously desperate to move the car.
    With patience, etc I'm sure it could have sold for more.
    Auction 'whole sale' prices are just that.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    $37,400 with buyers commission, definitely market price.

8. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    ...also, Barret Jackson has a $500 bidder registration fee in addition to the 10% buyers premium. $37,900 all-in. Nevertheless, its still a nice buy.

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I realize that is market, but I still think it is a steal :(

10. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    "Clean Car Fax, originally from Colorado, 4 years in Scottsdale and the last 8 years in New Mexico. 20,243 original miles. This car has all books and current records of maintenance. New owner will receive custom fit car cover, all original leather enclosed extra Ferrari tools and replacement bulbs, leather encased owner's manual and original factory Window Sticker all in great condition. This car has always been in the desert southwest region and is rust-free. "

Sounds like market for this car. I would guess that Major is way over due and that by "current records of maintenance" they mean they have some recent receipts, not full maintenance records. So it seems like the typical poorly maintained undocumented 1990 348. I understand market on those is about $35,000 right now.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'd take $35k right now for mine. Cash and carry. How about you Ernie?

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Perhaps, but this car was (via-photos and TV coverage) very nice. The engine looked excellent with tidy valve covers and a well kept bay, and the black paint looked to be devoid of multiple rock chips. The interior was Crema and looked new. My Son & I discussed this car as it rolled thorough. We did the same calculation you guys did and came up with basically a $40k number after fees & shipping it home. Then add the possibility of a engine out service and you have real money - in a nice Ferrari.

But let it be known that the car appeared to be better than average. I would want to drive it though to listen to the transmission... Imagine if it were making noise.

Lastly someone posted "Seller was obviously desperate to move the car" - I can't see that statement reflecting any accuracy. I know a lot of people that take cars yearly to B-J just to get a higher bid then any average auction / and then buy something else that suits their current mood. All the times I have been at B-J I cant recall ever seeing any desperation.

13. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Keep in mind the car is a 1990, later cars bring more money as do the Spiders and of course anything not Red/Tan goes for a bit less.

Still sad to see these cars sell for less than a used Camery

14. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I saw a Murciellago that went on that auction house for 70K. Now, that sounded like a ridiculous deal. Even the commentators were quiete surprised.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That certainly is ridiculous

16. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Saw that too. Unbelievable!

17. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    If the maintenance is up to date it really is. That's a lot of car for the money...

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Moorespeed in Austin has a very nice, fully sorted coupe...or did.

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #19 ernie, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    Oh HECK YEAH I would! Minus the headers of course. ;)

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    what does a a samiliar conditon 348ss go for then ? is there any real lift for it ?

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I really have no idea why anyone would buy a car like this in an auction unless you wanted a bargain. You can't touch it, you can't drive it, you can't see any records that aren't presented to you, you can't do a PPI...

that has to be worth a discount if you're seriously looking to buy one. It's not like there isn't a bunch of other cars out there now to look at.

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    If you're there in person you can touch it; talk to the owner, hear it run ( you can't drive it though) review records etc....
    The PPI thing is debatable - people bought exotics for 20, 30, 40 years before this ppi craze took off.
    I bought mine without a PPI (meticulously maintained - with 2 inches of records from day 1); runs perfect for over 5 years now.
    Any car that is used that has a PPI will always show things it needs....
    'Paralysis by analysis' seems to take precedent when people get PPI results.....
    Kevin

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #23 TheMayor, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    I've been to that exact auction and, to be frank, it's a good place to move questionable iron. You have to trust what is given to you.

If I'm buying an exotic with only that information, I'm not doing it without a discount. There is just frankly no advantage otherwise.

That's why your run of the mill exotic prices seem low at auctions. There's only 20 or so 348's in Hemmings every month. There is no 348 shortage.

24. Bookum

Bookum Karting

Nov 3, 2010
    Chester County PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Its not a total roll of the dice buying a car at auction. Most auctions allow plenty of time to preview the car prior to the sale, which includes starting it, and sometimes driving it around their facility. Secondly, most cars run "green light," which comes with the ability to arbitrate the vehicle for various issues after one purchases the car. The arbitration time period can vary from, before the car leaves the premises, to forever (for unannounced mileage discrepancies), and can cover numerous issues that can not be detected prior to purchase. So you're not totally up the creek if you find something after you purchase the car.

25. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I feel very sad to see the price of these cars. If i only think how much I paid mine only 2 1/2 years ago .... and how much i put in too !