Gruppe M Air Intake for a 1995 Ferrari F355 Spider M2.7 | FerrariChat

Gruppe M Air Intake for a 1995 Ferrari F355 Spider M2.7

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rorie, Mar 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rorie

Rorie Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    #1 Rorie, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Looking to buy one of these, got two quotes, but wondered who else has them/carries them?

Anyone on the board have this installed and if so what do they think.

I saw some posts from a few years ago when I did a search. But wondered if anyone could update me on their experiences as well.

Thanks.

2. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have had the Gruppe M intake for about 6-7 years and I really like it. I noticed a better midrange after I installed it. Hard to say if the top end improved or not. Someone on the Acura NSX dynoed his 5.2 F355 and got 17rwhp improvement. The filters are the same that are used on alot of the American Lemans cars including the Audi.

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Mind sharing what prices you were quoted?

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've had the Gruppe M intake on my '99 for a few years now.. The shop dyno'd them at +13-14 rwhp. I'm not sure if the '95 system has a different price but it should be somewhere around $3200.

5. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Unfortunately, the USD has been losing ground against the Yen, so what something was priced at only a few years ago can be very different now.

6. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON

That is for sure!!!!

7. ro355

ro355 Rookie

Jan 8, 2008
    Bangkok
    #7 ro355, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The GruppeM on my 99 Gtb for sure adds some grunt and gives the car a very rich and throaty bark- Mine was done by the PO and was around $3500 installed.

9. Rorie

Rorie Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    #9 Rorie, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    I am being quoted between 3500 USD and 4000 USD, but then there is shipping, and duty.

So best I have found is $3500 USD plus the $400 to ship and pay the duty. I don't think that is bad at all.

The seller is a member and poster on this board. I figure he can acknowledge who he is here as he is reading this thread.

I will report back on my impressions. It does look beautiful though!

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #10 full_garage, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 5.2 system looks incredible- And from what I've heard it's more effective at increasing midrange power- But lots of claims made about lots of stuff- In my real-world seat of the pants testing- it does definitely increase low and midrange power and torque- enough to feel... Plus it looks cool as hell!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    That stuff is expensive!

12. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

#12 BLAMPEE, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    $3500 for an air intake????:eek:

Yikes!!!!

And based on that pic...I think it is seriously ugly.

Am I the only one?

(No, I have not seen one in person)

13. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    All I can say is I've never had anyone look in my engine bay and not be completely impressed by the look of this thing... Horsepower is expensive- any way you look at it.

The only cheap ways are increasing the flow of your intake or your exhaust- everything else costs major bucks and seriously degrades reliability.

14. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Well it *does* provide a noticeable power bump and better throttle response. The shop that did my install had previously dyno'd them and found 13-14hp increases to the wheels. They didn't believe it so they swapped the stock one back on to re-baseline and then went back to the Gruppe M to verify, and it still had the same gain.

I'm not sure if they made them with different kinds of carbon, but I've noticed some photos end up looking green.. Mine looks like normal black carbon fiber, with the smaller weave, and matches the carbon fiber engine covers on the left and right side of the engine bay. I like the way it looks but don't have any photos at the moment. It's off for suspension work at the moment, but when I get it back from the shop I'll try to take some pics.

15. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

The green tint like the one I have is made from Carbon-Kevlar.

16. GruppeM

GruppeM Rookie

Oct 15, 2010
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    GruppeM
    Just a quick note - GruppeM authorized performance centers in North America should not be charging their customers for shipping from Japan. They should only be charging for shipping from their location, or from Chicago IL. Hope that helps.

17. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Is that what I have?? Always wondered- it's light as HELL when you take it off the car...

18. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

That's what you have and it is very light and helps keep the air cool. It does not get as hot as the stock air boxes.

19. race850i

race850i Karting

Jan 6, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Themis
    Does anybody have Dyno that Air intake?

The money is defenitely toooo much for the horsepower improvement,if there is any!

20. powdajohn

powdajohn Rookie

Apr 4, 2011
    One of the best thread in this forum. I accidentally chanced upon this thread. Really well versed members here.

21. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I looked into making some cf parts at one time and found that the costs involved and limited market (not many Ferraris out there) negated the economics of mass production. If it were a Ford Mustang unit, you could probably remove a zero from the cost!

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    If it were for a Dodge Omni you could remove two 0's

23. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dodge Omni=Babe Magnet!

24. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hey John.....are you talking about that movie star pig named "Babe"?.....if so, you nailed it...lol

25. Horsechat

Horsechat Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Just curious if this is the best intake mod for 95 2.7?