348 Zagato | FerrariChat

348 Zagato

Discussion in '348/355' started by GTE, Oct 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Somewhere during 1991 the Zagato-brothers presented the world with their take on the Ferrari 348. I believe somewhere around 20 of them were built. They however almost never turn up. Does anyone know where they are these days?

http://www.geocities.com/fgto288/zagato/348z.html

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I think a lot of members will agree with me when i say i hope they are dead and buried mate.

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I know they weren't very pretty, but somehow this car seems to be clouded with mystery. I can't seem to find the exact production number, nor who their owners are. I'm merely interested in how these cars are doing today.

4. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    My God is that ugly.

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    On the other hand, Ferrari adopted many of the features on the 348 Zagato on the 355 and the 360, i.e.

No side strakes in the side air intakes
    Epsiloidal 'mouth'
    Round rear lights as opposed to black slatted cover
    Glass engine cover

These features make the car a bit of a trend-setter for future Ferrari design, even if it does look like a 355 drawn by a 7 yr old after you'd described it to them down the phone...

On reflection, it would look great with a 355 front grill/bumper.

6. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    But the car cannot have vanished from the face of the earth, can it? Anyone with knowledge on the current whereabouts of some examples?

7. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I don't know much about the 348 Zagato, as I only heard "rumours" and as I've never seen any "facts". The plan was to build 20-25 cars, but I don't know if they really did that. As far as I know, there is/was one 348 Zagato here in The Netherlands, with a grey colour. I also remember a yellow or red one being shown here several years ago. However, this is only from memory.

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It's not entirely terrible.... There are parts I like & some I don't like at all.

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Thanks Edvar!

Isn´t it odd that so little is known about this car? It did came with some media-attention, but it indeed seems to have vanished since then.

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I talked with Paul Koot about it and he said the numbers never materialised (it was way too expensive to do just 20 cars, because almost every bodypart is affected by the redesign especially the roof. It's not just tacked on). So it seems that the only ones built were more or less prototypes or "one-offs" and yes, there was a grey one in The Netherlands. I've seen pictures of a yellow one and also a red one in Japan.

11. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Thanks!

Today I picked up Forza #57. On page 72 there's a pic of the Villa d'este Concorso d'Eleganza which shows a yellow 348 Zagato in the backround. The editor refers to it as a F355 though...

I'm quite surprised to hear there is a grey one (uptil now I've only heard of yellow and red ones) and that it is even in the Netherlands.