355 factory headers or fabspeed | FerrariChat

355 factory headers or fabspeed

Discussion in '348/355' started by alfonso, Feb 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alfonso

alfonso Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    all seals are done belts are on valve covers painted everything looks good but would like to finish this picture with some nice looking headers. are you guys happy with the performance of your fabspeed headers? do you feel a loss on the bottom end or does it feel the same . thankyou for all input.

2. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I'm sure you keep an eye on this forum but maybe you have not noticed there are a few more header options.

If you can wait a bit longer there supposed to be an update from both SuperSprint http://www.campionishop.com/ and Nouvalari http://www.nouvalari-usa.com/ offering headers with proper heat shields.

If you can't wait for those I would go with either the Tubi Headers or the re-build stock headers that Daniel at Ricambi http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=343560 sells.

There is some good information being gathered on another thread I started http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353522 that may help you with your decision.

3. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    I will have an updated Header ready in about 3-4 weeks maybe sooner. The final prototype is finished being fabricated and is being sent to be tested. That is all I can say for now. Once I get the OK then I will post on Fchat. If you need them sooner then go with someone you feel comfortable with and trust.
    Good luck

4. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    I've got Fabspeed on mine. Been there for about three years and 5k miles with no issues. Just over half of those miles have been since I bought the car six months ago. Pulls like a proverbial freight train.

5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff

6. G.Simpson

G.Simpson Karting

Mar 31, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary Simpson
    I did the engine out service last spring. The purpose for the service was that I had a noise from the front of the engine that I suspected was a water pump bearing. Since I was close to needing the major, and the engine has to come out for that, I may as well do a full service. Even though only 2 1/2 years since the last major, I did not want to take any chances. I bought the major service kit from Ricambi and replaced belts, seals, water pump bearing and seal, set cams to factory specs and replaced headers with Fabspeed along with a number of incidental items; O2 sensors, spark plugs, air filters, fuel filter, oil, oil filter, trans fluid, etc, etc.

For the headers, I had them coated inside and out by Fabspeed, with the bright finish, kind of aluminum or pewter in color.

My impressions:
    Fit was good, no issues. Build quality very good. Coating good, can't see inside so I have no input there.
    I did not measure engine bay temps before I replaced the headers, so I can't comment if the ceramic coating is actually working as claimed. I can say that the temps seem no different.
    Sound; I am running Hyperflow cats and a Tubi exhaust. The consensus was that there may be a change from the sound of the factory headers to the Fabspeed product, but to be totally honest I have not been able to tell, neither has any of my friends or family. If there is a change in the sound, it has been so slight, I can't tell.
    Power; the cam phase timing was so far off before the adjustment, it would be way too hard to say 100% that any increase in power could be attributed to the header replacement alone. I can say that with the timing adjustments AND the new headers combined, the upper rpm power is outstanding, comparatively speaking.

In my case, I took advantage of the fact that the engine was out, and it is very easy to replace headers while the engine is out. Also, since the factory units are going to fail, why not just replace when you get the chance?

They are a very good choice for the dollar, factory headers are way overpriced in my opinion, and are destined to fail prematurely. I know that headers can be considered a wear item much like brakes and tires on a race car, but, a 355 is not a race car...

Are they a good choice? Only time will tell...

7. Future ferrari collector

Oct 12, 2006
    I had my factory headers (no issues, just a pre-emptive move) replaced by Fabspeed so I can tell the diff immediately having had the car for 3 years.

You get more torque from the mid range, approx 4k onwards. Seat of the pants feel, not dyno proven but good enough for me. But you lose the high pitch scream at the top end which I still miss till today. Car is also quieter at idle which isn't a bad thing actually.

2.7 car with Tubi and straight pipes.

8. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Glen.... any updatres on the headers for the 5.2? Kinda in the market this week :(

JD

9. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Thanks Sal!

Jeff

10. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you are considering replacing with stock, I have a pair for sale. I just put Fabspeeds on mine, along with new cats and exhaust. The stock headers are in perfect condition, no cracks, 27k miles. PM me if interested.

11. Terry

Terry Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Cheshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Terry
    2.7 or 5.2?

12. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name: