Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 348/355 - Sponsored by Bradan

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Schaf
Honestly....I'm in the same dilemma as you. But to tell you the truth, when the F-Chatter said that even if you do get a 360 b/c of its "reliability," you'll always be thinking about the 355 in the back of your mind.

Do yourself a favor - go with what you want. You've done your hw, you've done the math, and now it's time to do what you gotta do. Get the 355....if something breaks...then it is what it is. But honestly, it sounds like you really love the 355, so go for that. Don't get a 360 half-hearted with your $$.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Dr Yassa Hughes
Quote:
Originally Posted by schefdeh5 View Post
Honestly....I'm in the same dilemma as you. But to tell you the truth, when the F-Chatter said that even if you do get a 360 b/c of its "reliability," you'll always be thinking about the 355 in the back of your mind.

Do yourself a favor - go with what you want. You've done your hw, you've done the math, and now it's time to do what you gotta do. Get the 355....if something breaks...then it is what it is. But honestly, it sounds like you really love the 355, so go for that. Don't get a 360 half-hearted with your $$.
+1, well said.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Ric
I will admit the 360 may be a bit newer and a little more reliable and it does look better in person but sorry, it does not have the same wow factor as a 355. I was in a recent drive with several 360s and they were virtually ignored by the masses who were there just to view cars.

I have had mine for over a year and have paid for nothing but new floor mats and an oil change. Knock on wood.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Brian
I have a red/tan 6 spd F355 spider, its my first Ferrari, and I love it. Wouldn't even consider a 360. I drove a F430 on a track and I wouldn't trade. The feeling and experience with the top down in a F355 is as good as it gets in the car world.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Monte
My Garage
I think you have to choose wisely. The 355 is to the point where the real problems are known such as headers, valves, etc. If you find a car that these things are sorted out, it's been well maintained by a reputable shop and has a decent PPI you'll probably be pretty happy.

I agree the top isn't the best design in the world but it seems that some cars have a lot of convertible problems and others don't. Mine has never failed but it's painfully slow and less than elegant on the whole procedure but, like you, I probably put it up twice a year and usually one of those times is to exercise it to make sure it still works.

I think there are trade offs on most Ferrari's. While the 360 doesn't require the engine to be pulled to replace the belts you have nearly as expensive of a job to replace the clutch on a 360 (need to pull the gearbox) whereby the 355 is super simple (relative term).

I would say to follow your heart but do your homework and get a good car regardless if it's a 355 or 360. If your heart is into a 355 then just make sure you do your homework and get a well sorted car.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Herc,

Either Ferrari you buy I'll help you fix it if help me match your blistering laptimes...
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
Herc,

Either Ferrari you buy I'll help you fix it if help me match your blistering laptimes...
Ha no problem, I'll fix you up and get you running around WSIR under 1:30 and Buttonwillow under 1:55!

I think at the end of the day the heart wants what it wants, and in my case that's an F355 spider. So that's what it's going to be. I've read about all the issues and I think I know what to look for. And if the top breaks I'll just convert it to manual, from the discussions I've been having (offline) that's a relatively simple process.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 360 Modena, but at the end of the day it's still no 355 spider. So hopefully I'll get my hands on one soon and be all set. Thanks for the tips and advice all, and I'll keep you posted when I pick it up!