Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 348/355 - Sponsored by Bradan

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 AM
WATSON's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 2,019
My Garage
355 coolant change procedure

Any tricks in draining and refilling the cooling system for the 355 5.2 cars?

I see there is a bleeder screw on the top of the water elbow above the thermostat. Does this need to bled out or do the return hoses to the burp tank handle the air discharge?

Thanks in advance for any experiences or advice.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MA
Full Name: John
Posts: 845
Watson, My brief coolant change procedure:
1. Remove underside trays to allow access to radiators and block.
2. Open expansion tank cap.
3. Remove plugs. Drain both radiators.
4. Remove plugs. Drain block both sides.
5. Install both radiator and block plugs with new o rings and copper washers.
6. Pump system down with my AirLIft system. Check system holds vacuum.
7. Fill system using the AirLift system. No air pockets or purging needed using this tool.
8. Using my wifes turkey baster, remove coolant from expansion tank to correct factory level.
I use BMWs coolant product.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Dave rocks's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Full Name: Dave
Posts: 3,577
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider348 View Post
Using my wifes turkey baster, remove coolant from expansion tank to correct factory level.
LMAO! What time is Thanksgiving Dinner? LOL
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Carlos, CA
Full Name: Mitchell Le
Posts: 5,137
The 355 is self bleeding so no need to remove any bleeding screw. Just run it, and continue to fill up the coolant to the right level. Check the next day and top up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 AM
AVMotorsport's Avatar
Karting
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SoCal
Full Name: Alex V
Posts: 170
Smile Coolant change Procedure

I downloaded this document somewhere in FChat (I think) many, many years ago, and have done countless coolant changes using the steps that are outlined, with great results.

HTH, YMMV.
Attached Files
File Type: doc F355CoolantChangeProcedure.doc (915.0 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM
WATSON's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 2,019
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMotorsport View Post
I downloaded this document somewhere in FChat (I think) many, many years ago, and have done countless coolant changes using the steps that are outlined, with great results.

HTH, YMMV.
Awesome. Exactly what I needed and worked perfectly.

Major brotherhood points for you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Full Name: Bruce
Posts: 3,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider348 View Post
Watson, My brief coolant change procedure:
1. Remove underside trays to allow access to radiators and block.
2. Open expansion tank cap.
3. Remove plugs. Drain both radiators.
4. Remove plugs. Drain block both sides.
5. Install both radiator and block plugs with new o rings and copper washers.
6. Pump system down with my AirLIft system. Check system holds vacuum.
7. Fill system using the AirLift system. No air pockets or purging needed using this tool.
8. Using my wifes turkey baster, remove coolant from expansion tank to correct factory level.
I use BMWs coolant product.


Perfect and spot on John...THANKS
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM
WATSON's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 2,019
My Garage
OK. I did breakdown and buy an airlift system. The reviews are very good. I have never heard of it until now.

I already have the turkey baster
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.