My 348 rear ended today in Colorado. | FerrariChat

My 348 rear ended today in Colorado.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Falcon Wing, Oct 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    #1 Falcon Wing, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My girlfriend and I were rear ended in the 348 today in Colorado Springs. We were stopped at a traffic light....I could see in the mirror that the Chevy truck behind was not going to stop...seemed to hit us pretty square. Fortunately, after the CSPD did some digging, found that the driver was insured, since he didn't have the card on him (fathers work truck apparently). Driver said he was looking at the mountains... and didn't see the bright red car stopped in front of him.
    Those of you that have been through this, how do you handle the "diminished value" aspect of the car?
    I spoke with Ferrari of Denver and they suggested Global Collision in Colorado Springs.
    Both my girlfriend and I are pretty sore, but otherwise ok. I noticed that one of the rear wheels is further forward than the other..so damage is probably worse than it looks. I cannot even open the deck lid right now to see all that was damaged.
    I opted to have the car towed to my home since I didn't have a good idea where to take it locally.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lbell101

lbell101 Karting

Mar 24, 2013
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Oh man, glad you guys are alright.

Larry

3. MRF40@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Planet Urf.
    Full Name:
    like whut? Ralph??
    Glad to read you are okay.

4. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Glad you are OK.

I don't think Husker is making those grills anymore. Not sure how the insurance company would value that.

I hate to say it, but I think the car is totaled from an insurance perspective.

5. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't think you need to worry about diminished value. Just total value. Hopefully he has more than $50k in property damage insurance. In California, some people only have $15k property damage per vehicle.

6. embraer

embraer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2012
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used to estimate for state farm. just looking that that, im guessing it's a total loss.

7. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    What would the current value be, would you think?
    I had just had it in the shop in the last 6 months to a tune of $23k also.

8. lbell101

lbell101 Karting

Mar 24, 2013
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Salvage value is going to kill it. It's not just what the car is worth.

Larry

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I thought only 355s had those kind of service bills. ;)

I'd guess the insurance company would value it around low 30s, unless you had an agreed value policy.

Sadly, I don't think the insurance company will factor the service into the value of the car. If they total it, you should buy it back from them and do the work yourself.

Looks like a great example.

10. ddnguyen

ddnguyen Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Duane
    For a totaled case, receipts within the last year can factor into the valuation of the car.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is unfortunate. First and foremost, glad nobody was killed.

As for the damage, that hurts just to look at. And it also hurts to hear that although the damage looks manageable (in terms of repair) that this may be a write-off

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Is that what they call txting up on CO?

Really sorry about the car but glad to hear that you and your girlfriend weren't seriously hurt.

13. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Total loss??? That's nuts!!!

It really doesn't look that bad to me. Pull the engine out and do a major (hopefully it's due or just about), bang out what's crooked, replace grille, replace light, replace or fix bumper + paint.

Totalling a beautiful rare exotic car for such minor damage seems crazy to me, especially since the fenders and hood look untouched.

14. embraer

embraer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2012
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Mike
    im sure there's lots of hidden damage. especially since the rear wheels/subframe are tweaked. it's really up to his insurance company. some companies will go past 75%, some will go under it. the adjuster might lowball it to get the damage fixed, and then more things will pop up while they're working on it.

keep in mind, every piece of trim, nut and bolt, etc get figured into an estimate. not sure what system the body shop will use, CCC or Mitchell, but that stuff adds up very quickly. ALSO..trying to source parts will be an issue. If they use NOS parts, it will definitely be totaled. Trying to source the used stuff will either still total it, or cause it to sit in a shop for a long time.

I did an Audi S4 that had about 20K worth of damage to it. it was past the 75% we used, but we still continued to write the checks to get it fixed. The car body and paint got done (at one of the best shops around) but when they went to start it, a blade from the turbo sucked into the intake. After all that work, we had to total the car. I could only estimate it while it was in the shop. who knew the turbo was damaged, and part of it got stuck into the intake when they replaced the turbos? what a pain...

15. embraer

embraer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2012
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Mike
    depends on the insurance company. some won't care one iota.

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    no matter what calculations they use, no one can convince me that car is totalled. What a waste!!!

Does the owner have a say in it if he wants to keep it? How does that work?

Can't believe a perfectly good 348 is gonna be stuck with a salvage title for a fender-bender...

17. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    #17 Falcon Wing, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm with State Farm, truck driver was with Progressive.

18. embraer

embraer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2012
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Mike
    another thing to factor in, is age of the car. we're all just speculating here. State Farm is much better insurance company than Progressive (when it comes to this stuff). Your relationship with State Farm could have a bearing on this. If the car is totaled, you can buy it back from the insurance company.

I was hit by a girl when I was driving my BMW. It was still drivable, but it ended up getting totaled. In the settlement with her insurance company, they cut me a check, and subtracted the buyback amount on the car. I got the car back, a nice check, and I fixed the car in my own shop, on my own.

19. embraer

embraer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2012
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Mike
    State Farm uses some body shops that have authority to estimate the car, and then State Farm will just cut the check without sending one of their adjusters.

20. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Man that sucks! Glad you are both OK.

21. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    A bent frame/subframe from THAT? I highly doubt it. I'm sure it will be expensive to fix, but totaled? Not from what I can see.

22. ronrob

ronrob Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    Var, S.E. France
    Full Name:
    Ronald Brown
    We are hoping that it's damage to the fender that makes it look like one of the rear wheels is further forward than the other. It is not certain that the sub chassis has been damaged.

23. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That car should NOT be totalled and I very much doubt frame damage.

If it is repaired it will be interesting how the insurance would deal with your own mods, I guess they could only offer to have that fixed in 'standard form' but they may baulk at doing that?

24. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    First off, happy to know you are both ok. I am shopping 348's & testarossa's. This is another aspect of ownership I am researching. I have other modified cars and how various companies handle this sort of thing plays a role in my decision making process.

Please keep us posted on the outcome of both your car and your health. There are several good chiropractors and massage therapists in CS due to the OTC being there.

25. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Most important is that that you guys are OK. Better to maybe total a car, than to injure yourselves... hope the soreness has resolved by now.
    For my 2 cents: if the frame does turn out to be bent, it seems one of the advantages of a 348/355 in this case would be the whole rear frame is a replaceable unit. If you can find one (I have seen them occasionally on Ebay) you would have that problem, hopefully, fixed.
    Of course you could also part the car out and probably get back the value of the car and the recent service bill plus some...