Ferrari F355 Spyder | FerrariChat

Ferrari F355 Spyder

Discussion in '348/355' started by [email protected], Dec 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    #1 [email protected], Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    I see a lovely Ferrari 355 Spyder with 18k miles and all recent service done for under 60k. Is this a fair price for a well maintained 355? I will test drive one after vacation but today saw it and love the car. I was originally holding out for a 360/430 but the 355 is a much better used exotic bargain. Thoughts? I've heard the stories about 355 vs. 360 performance and maintenance costs. The 355 just had almost 30k in major repairs and services performed and looks clean. But for 10k more a nice 360 can be had.

2. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    What year, color and transmission?

Overall from what you provided, if there are no stories not yet told, it sounds right to me.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I am always suspicious of cars that "just had $30k worth or service". I looked for 3 years before buying my car and my experience was that cars which required that kind of investment in one shot typically had been neglected. So be careful and make sure you get a good PPI if you decide it might be the right car for you.

Would also help if you could provide details of what that $30k in service was for.

As for price, depending on condition and who is selling (dealer or private party) $60k can be high or low regardless of year.

4. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    The car is a 1999 Yellow 355 Spyder with a manual transmission. I've always preferred the F-cars with manual trannies. The seller went overboard on service according to the dealer selling the car for him on consignment. Service includes belts and cams changed. Interior and exterior are in great condition. From what I've read about the 355, maintenance is way higher than on the 360 due to the requirement to pull out the engine for belts and other services.

5. ssnowball

ssnowball Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2013
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Scot
    #5 ssnowball, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    I was in the market for about a year, ending up honed in on a well sorted 99 355 three pedal car. I actually saw about 8 cars before I encountered "the one". Read the posts, the 355 was definitely the car for me, but the 355 is a different animal than the 360.

First and foremost, the price you settle on should be contingent upon a thorough PPI, including both a compression and leak down test. Also, you may want to do a bit of checking on who the previous owners were, I.e. Were they members of this board? I have sorted through the records for my beauty and found that the carfax was not spot on with ownership history as I was able to connect with previous owners who provided their paperwork to better track my beaut's history.

$30k in recent service sounds a bit high, so I would suggest you review the service records to get an idea of what was done. The PP you indicate could be high or low depending on what you are looking at, for mine, I paid can the high $60's, and was very comfortable in doing so.

Things I looked for;

Service records - get them, also verify a recent engine out service with the detailed list of who did the service and what was done;
    Cean PPI - there is a lengthy checklist that covers many of the topics below, so many of the areas I note below we're covered by the PPI but were easily seen from my own visual examination;
    Satisfactory leak down and compression check;
    Headers, cats and exhaust - stock or aftermarket;
    Paint - what's the status of the paint overall, and what's the front bumper and air intakes on side of vehicle look like as far as damage from driving (pitting etc.) and does it have a clear bra (many folks don't like these, but I do;
    Interior condition - sticky buttons fixtures - mine is not perfect, but the majority has been refinished;
    Leather shrinkage on interior - again, I have a tad bit, but overall I would rate her an 8 out of 10;
    Spider top - move it up and Down several times to make sure it moves smoothly - the PPI should also include this test and fluid check;
    Motor mounts, if they are soft or need replacing, 2nd gear will be a little tough to get into place (note that stiffness into 2nd is common on my car until the gear box warms up a bit);
    Condition of leather on seats and boot cover, again mine is great, even better now that I treated her with leatherique;
    What comes with the car - toolkit, tire refill, car cover etc.; and
    How many keys and fobs do you get with the car? Very important on the fobs since if you only have one, you will need to obtain more in the event one is lost - you will not be able to start car without this fob UNLESS YOU HAVE ACTIVE PIN FOR CAR. I do not have the PIN for mine so I had the option of obtaining the PIN from Ferrari (which may or may not work since it may have changed over past 14 years) or ordering a new set of 3 fobs and replacing the theft system to the tune of about $2.5k - I opted for a fob clone for $250 and will deal with the matter at some future date.

All in. All, this has been the best automobile purchase I have ever made as the ownership/driving experience is very unique to this model. The raw feel of driving her is incredible and I enjoy the hell out of driving her! If you read through the posts, you will find believers and haters alike (I am a believer), but read carefully and I think you will see that if this I'd the right car for you, you will most likely be a very long term owner.

Best of luck to you and I wish you well on your decision.

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I purchased my 98 355 spider, 6 spd with 23,000+ miles for $52,000 last March in LA. Car had been on the market for about 4 months, asking closer to $60K. Seller had recently performed about $20,000 in service but in looking at the receipts, I could have had the same work done by a very good shop in the area for about $12K. Foolish owners spending foolish money isn't really a testament to the work done for the reasonable maintenance costs for the car - only that they have foolish money to spend.

On top of the purchase, I've spent another $2,500 but beyond a $400 top service which I knew about, the rest was either "upgrades" - Challenge rear, Hill floor plates, etc or general service. Overall a fairly well sorted out car with so far no real surprises.

The 360's that I had seen at the time that were in the $65 - $75K range were more on the rough side and would have required additional funds to get them as nice as my 355.

That being said, different cars so drive them both and see which one you like better.

7. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Two very different cars. Do you want a 355 or a 360?

And, I disagree that a "nice" 360 can be found for $70K.

8. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I have to drive both the 355 and 360 back to back first before deciding which model I like best.