Helpful Information for those in search of a 355 | FerrariChat

Helpful Information for those in search of a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, May 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #1 Dave rocks, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I decided to create this thread since I am often asked to post the attachments and it will be easier to simply point folks to this thread.

Attached is a pre-purchase questionnaire I created while searching for my car. Also attached is a Ferrari checklist used during PPI's. One other attachment is the 355 buyers guide.

Here are some useful links:

1) Ferrari data base - excellent resource for manuals, workshop manuals, brochures, etc.: All Ferraris

2) 355 buying guide: http://www.the355.com

3) No affiliation and not related to the 355 - this is Pentagon Federal credit union - fantastic resource for used auto loans - they are fantastic - super low rates and very easy to deal with : https://www.penfed.org/

4) A little bit of understanding related to keys and fob's:

1995 355's do not have an alarm or immobilizer. Beginning in 1996, all 355's have an alarm and immobilizer. Those cars were delivered with 2 ignition keys, 1 glove box key, 3 FOB's (1 red and 2 black) and a 4 digit PIN code that can be entered with a key sequence to start the car in the event the FOB is broken , lost or stolen. The PIN is also required to reprogram the immobilizer to accept new FOB's (with a new PIN).

I highly suggest you be sure the car includes the PIN and that you try it with the key to be sure it works. It's not a deal breaker on a good car but realize that without this you may need to spend approx. $2000 for a new immobilizer kit with 3 new FOB's and new PIN.

I've also attached a document created by Terry Phillips which is a great resource on this topic.

I hope this is helpful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kruegmeister likes this.
  2. Ajax de 1e

Ajax de 1e Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2014
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Steef
    Thanx Dave, good idea, very helpfull, organised, and saves a lot of time!

3. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Dave,

I have been a member for a relatively short time but even I can already tell you clear do Rock! Thanks for the helpful post.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Lol. Thanks. The "Dave Rocks" was my first username on a guitar forum. I'm too lazy to have different user names so I use the same everywhere.

Glad this was helpful Neil.

5. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    Surprised it took this long for someone to come up with this solution. Thanks for putting it together Dave.

Henry

6. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Looking at a 4 owner 1998 355 F1 coupe. It has 12400 miles and has had 3 engine out services, 6 oil changes and a PPI done by Dave Helms 6 years ago at 9800 miles when the current owner purchased it. Compression was done and all within range according to my mechanic. All three ECUs were replaced with updated green ones. No header issues and a TUBI exhaust. What would be a good price? Needs a current engine out due to time but has only been driven 1900 miles since last. Car is super clean and does have sticky parts that need addressed. I was told the vin number is not a brass guide problem car. I was told the vin was outside the issues cars vin series.

7. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    LOL...I thought you were a customer of Dave Helms at Scuderia Rampante...and yes, he rocks!

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #8 Dave rocks, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Did you buy this car? I was looking at it to. It finally sold I see.

10. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Yep, Richard was awsome and the car is unbelievable. The inner barrels of the wheels are spotless and waxed. He deffinetly did not describe it to the fullest (in a good way). I have every single document as far as service since day one. I had to call a dealer to get a few that were missing but they faxed them to me. Now I'm working with the original dealer on a window sticker. This car looks like it has 100 miles even though it registers 12,000.

11. AVMotorsport

AVMotorsport Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex V
    Thanks a lot, Dave, for posting this! I have been trying to nail down the interior color codes of the leather of my car, to match leather of a certain project we are undertaking at the moment. We have also found that most of these interior leather colors are *unobtainium* as the Connelley factory has already shut down many years ago.

If anybody has a good source for Connelley-type leathers with perfect color matches, we'd appreciate a heads up!

cheers

12. Tachyon

Tachyon Karting

Nov 7, 2004
    LV, NV
    Great post! Subscribed.

13. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ****vote this thread for a sticky*****

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  15. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Dave,
    Admittedly I am unfamiliar with some of the quirks of the 355, but I find it very hard to believe that a new, GOOD battery will go down enough to make the car hard to start in a week. You would not be the first person to get a piece of XXXX out of a box that said, "New". Have you tested to see if you have some unusually high drain while the car is sleeping?

There is a thread in the 360 board entitled something like "Best Battery"; I contributed my 355 info there last night.

16. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Mine can stay off the tender for a month without a problem. Sounds like you've got a draw somewhere Dave.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Sure do, it's called an alarm and immobilizer that 95's don't have, Luke :)

18. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #19 355dreamer, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Thank God!!!

;)

19. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mine has stayed off the tender for 3 weeks without a issue. 97 here. Mine was probably built on a wednesday.

20. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Ted Nelson: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I've got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Love Tommy Boy

My 1996 Porsche 993TT has alarm and immobilizer and it will take several months of sitting to draw the battery down. I think a week on your car is a bit quick.

21. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Nice. Cars built on Wednesday are much faster than those built on other days. I read somewhere on the innerwebz that they only require belt service every 15 years and that the guides are made out of lunar rocks.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    3 weeks with no driving? I'm talking 7 days sitting. It was the same with my old battery as new.

23. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Correct. 3 weeks sitting under a car cover. I was out of town and forgot to plug in my tender. I had immobilizer nightmares the entire time.

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #25 Dave rocks, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
    See attached PDF, I hope it's useful to some.