Exhaust questions for 348 | FerrariChat

Exhaust questions for 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dmatz, Jun 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dmatz

Dmatz Rookie

Jun 13, 2014
    Hey guys need a little help here. Just bought a 1991 Ferrari 348 TS with 24,000 miles
    I am wanting to quickly upgrade the exhaust system from the quiet stock sound. I have about $4500 total to spend. I am thinking about the Capristo or the Kreissang. I can get both around $3800 or so. I am reading the quicksilver is not loud enough for me. But I really want a f1 sound and want the car to have that true Ferrari sound that is so attractive. So what I am reading is that you can have the cat deletes or high flow cats. Any thoughts. We do emissions in Georgia for 25 years and younger so that means another 1.5 to 2 years. Any thoughts?

2. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    There are very few videos out there regarding the quicksilver. So i decided , for the money , i eould try one .it arrives monday , so if you wait a few days i can give you an honest opinion on that one, and tell you wether to rule it out or not. I currently am running cat bypass tubes , but will probably try the quicksilver both ways. Good luck with the new car, now drive it and put some miles on it ! I'll keep you posted on the quicksilver

" serenity now "

3. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    my top two choices would be just as yourself....i don't think you can go wrong with either since you already have the budget for it....however my third choice would be nouvolari due to it's very much more decent and practical pricing and i hear they sound as good (pun kinda intended ;-) ..!!!....

4. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Kreissieg is the best. The others are not in the same league. I have a valvetronic Kreissieg on my 1993; it's fantastic.

5. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    I agree, Kressieg would be the best but I do not know where one could find one for less than 7K to 9K. Thats what I had priced them at. I had a quicksilver Super Sport that was a bit louder that the stock exhaust, then I went to a Tubi and found that too "tingy" for my liking and again just a bit louder than the Quicksilver. Finally ended with a Capristo Stage 3, WOW.
    Build quality surpassed all of the above (I dont think anything compares to it), originally had Hyperflows on order but when I listened to the Capristo I canceled the Hyperflows. That's my 2 Cents worth. Although that whole experience cost more me more than 2 Cents! The good thing about all of the above exhaust is that someone else will buy them off ebay or Fchat!

6. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A few weeks ago I installed the Nouvalari ss on my '90 ts. The tones are really nice, and it is loud at wot when needed. It is so ridiculous in tunnels. Lol

Samir Goncalves likes this.
  7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #7 hank sound, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Appreciation of sound - - is a bit like when we fall in love with our mate. it's different for everyone. Some folks like big. Some like skinny. Some like tall - - and some like short.

For me, the Xost exhaust, coupled with Hyperflow cats (CA smog), was my cat's meow !! But that's just my take on a subject that has no "This Is Best" answer.

My suggestion is to chat with as many exhaust indoctrinated folks as you can. Discuss the subtitles of how you hear sound in general. I say this because some folks love to be hit over the head with volume and intensity - - while others (me included) want to hear it, but not be "attacked" by it (and all of that is personal in terms of perception).

Getting with other Ferrari owners at your local Cars & Coffee meetings, listening to their cars, may help you find the right answer.

Cheers, Hank

8. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Tubi exhaust and hyper flow cats sound really nice on the 348. Yes it does have that high pitched F1 wail at higher rpms

9. Dmatz

Dmatz Rookie

Jun 13, 2014
    Thanks guys I did listen to all the exhaust that some of you mentioned on YouTube and the two I chose sounded the best. So now the I have to make a choice. I appreciate all your great feedback. Any idea how one gets by the emissions part without cats?

10. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Depending on where you are located, the emissions test may not be necessary. Fabspeed recently paired its 348 headers and Catbypass pipes to a 348 with Capristo stage 3 and the F1 scream was 85% of the Iconic 355 sound. Fabspeed also offers a supersport X-pipe and when combined with the Sport headers and Catbypass pipes, it gives you a wonderful challenge car growl in the lower RPM with the flat plane crank V8 wail in the higher RPM.

There is significant power to be gained with the 348 as well! Full exhaust on a nicely maintained and well running 348 will put down numbers very close to a stock mid-range 355! But don't tell the 355 guys I said that ;)

11. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    For what it's worth, videos don't always showcase the sound of all exhausts properly. You can definitely get an idea, but I can tell you that when I was shopping, I listened to Tubis, Cappis, and custom work in person after watching videos first, and it was a different experience. You can certainly get a feel for the tone, but the loudness doesn't always translate well, and that can be a big part of the sound.

Good luck on your search! Exhaust upgrades are one of the most fun upgrades to do. :)

12. Dmatz

Dmatz Rookie

Jun 13, 2014
    Cool. Thanks for the good feedback guys!!!!!

13. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Xost with high flow cats is a great setup. Love it.

14. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    One thing to consider is does the system you chose have any drone. I had a C6 Vette with a great sounding Borla system that was terrible at 65 mph on a long trip. Went away at 80 mph so that is what I tried to drive at as much as possible. :)

15. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    I'm not an exhaust engineer but i would guess with the combo of the flat plane crank and the low gearing in our f cars that results in high rpm cruising a drone is rare regardless of the brand of exhaust.American engines on the other hand with their slow turning higher geared drivetrains are prone to the drone , after all they are just running beastly truck derived engines. Lol

" serenity now "

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
  17. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Yep, you are right about that. Vette would cruise at 65 with the engine just turning 1500 rpm, good for gas mileage though. :) Flat crank which makes for the good sounds at high rpm probably would make quite a difference at the bottom end also.

18. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    I just went through this entire exercise with my 348 Spyder. I read all the prior posts and did what you are doing. PM me. I''l give you my number and what little I learned. Andy

19. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    please post your experience here....we would all like to listen and learn...what system did you finally get?

20. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #20 darkkaangel, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    I bought the resonated test pipes from E-bay for 400. I took my Spyder to a well known muffler shop and had them custom make a Maxi Flow system with Maxi flow tips. It sounds great and have received compliments for that "fine sounding tubi". Total cost 1500. In retrospect I spent way too much time thinking about it. Muffler shops that work on hot rods know exhaust and sound. Find the Hot Rod shop locally and talk to the owner. Andy

22. Dmatz

Dmatz Rookie

Jun 13, 2014
    Not a bad idea Wilson. I didn't want to take a gamble with spending money on exhaust and it not sound the way I wanted. This has been a dream car of mine for many years and wanted to do it right. I went with the Kreissieg and wanted for them to build it in japan. It takes 4-6 weeks. So waiting patiently. Will post some vids when I get it installed.

23. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia

That's what I am using.

Kai

24. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    Update. My exhaust arrived from Ferrparts. They had a brand new exhaust listed on ebay, but only described it as a ferrari sport exhaust . in an email they told me they believed it was a quicksilver.It has no name and no part number, but the muffler section looks exactly the same as a tubi . we installed it this morning and holy crap ! I've been listening to exhausts since before i purchased my car , ( and have driven customers cars with tubi )and i can not distinguish it from a tubi. If you want your 348 to scream like a 355 this is the exhaust.I don't know what it is but it sounds absolutely perfect. It's definitely is not a quicksilver. Was a good price too. I don't know if ferrparts has more but i would recommend it. If i have time i will post a video

25. Moiluck

Moiluck Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2009
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Moisés
    #25 Moiluck, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What about a custom made exhaust system?

I couldn't be happier with mine; it has an addictive racing sound with no drone at all, just a beautiful howl that remainds of an old school racing Ferrari. I can feel much more power than stock, honestly my 348 runs great now. The silencers are road legal, and the whole system passes both emissions and inspection tests. It looks like... well you can see the pictures... and a very important part of the equation is the low price:

2x high flow 200 cell Magnaflow catalytic converters: 230€

2x road legal high flow silencers, pipes and labour in a specialized exhaust workshop in Spain: 550€

Titanium heat wrap (optional): 30€

Total spent for an exclusive exhaust system with cats: 810€ ($1.100)

I think it's just one more choice to keep in mind.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login