F355 M5;2 idle speed high after deceleration. | FerrariChat

F355 M5;2 idle speed high after deceleration.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, Jul 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    My idle speed stays arund 1500 rpm after deceleration if the AC is engaged. If I shut AC off with the stop button, the idle speed goes down to the normal 1050 rpm. This happens only after deceleration, not when starting engine. Then the rpm is 1050 at idle undependent if ac is on or off. I also did the recalibration of the ECU according to Owners book page L7 with no difference.

The idle speed valve must be ok as it regulates correct when standing still. Anyone had this problem and then what did you do to fix it?

2. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    No one discovered this problem!? ....amazing :)

3. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    Mine did the same but with no difference if AC is on or off. I noticed that the gas peddle was not smooth. So a bit of WD40 on the linkage all around did the trick.

4. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Swapped the AC contril unit with another car, but problem still there...... Suggestions?

5. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Any more hints to this problem, or am I the only one experienced this problem? :)

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well, I'm not intimately familiar with how this is set up on an F355 but many obd2 cars have a pressure sensor on the high side a/c line that is read by the ecu to calculate torque loss by the a/c compressor.

If it was reading wrong/abnormally high the ecu may add too much idle airflow to compensate.

Again, not sure if the F355 works this way, just an idea.

7. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Mine does the same thing! 1997 5.2

After letting off the gas, it hangs up at 1500 RPM then drops to 1050. Only when the AC is on....always wondered about this!!!!!!!

8. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #8 Drock28, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    I would think this is normal.. ive had other cars that do the same thing.. the ecu adjusts the idle to compensate while the AC is on.. thus why the AC drains power/ throttle response when on..

try being at idle, with AC off... then turn on AC.. you will likely see the rpm lift up abit and then settle back down..

unfortunately.. the AC is not functional on my 355.. so I have not experienced this yet during my short ownership thus far.. I already bought a new compressor for repair in the spring.

youre not seeing the rpm hang when the ac is off.. only when its on.. so more then likely this is normal behaviour..

and would make sense when slowing down..
    cruising at 3k rpm.. then come to a stop.. the ECU probably hangs the idle at 1500rpm for a few moments as youve seen to accomodate for the AC being on...and then drops back to normal idle..

I also have a Vortech SuperCharged 350Z, the SC is belt driven directly on the crank.. thus the SC like an AC compressor acts like a drag on the crank..and can hang up the idle briefly under deceleration..

9. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Intresting, but hard to think it´s normal. The engine brake is really poor too when this phenomena happens, and I do not hink that it was intended by Ferrari. Asked also a skilled Ferrari tech I know about this and he had never heard of it so something is most likely wrong, otherwise he would know.

Maybe the hint with the pressure sensor can be something to dig into.

10. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson

Mine is also a -97 with Motronic 5:2, so we have something here in common. If I turn off the AC with the button the rpm drops immidiatley to 1050 rpm and stays there when I activate the button again. So that is what I do - (AC off/on) - when I decelerate, to get a proper engine brake, but something is defenately wrong, but what..... ?

11. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Bunched up floor mat? :)

12. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

Tony

This is most certainly not normal.

Ferrari's are not supercharged nor are they Datsuns or whatever a 350Z is.

Revs should fall back to 1050 quickly and smoothly whether AC is on or off.

My M2.7 falls back to 1050 always.
    There's a component that has failed somewhere.

13. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    it's a Nissan 350z. and know ferraris aren't supercharged lol I own a 355.

the AC on my 355 is not functional at the moment so I don't know if this is normal behavior
    therefore in regards to the 355 likely you are correct this is not normal with AC on

but most other cars I've owned, when engaging the AC caused the rpms to perk up abit and then settle back down.

14. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey

Agree. What mine does very specifically:

After pushing in the clutch and letting off of the gas, it seems like the rpms do fall perfectly back to a normal 1050, but there is a slight pause on the way down.....sort of like vroooooom-oomoooooom, if that makes any sense, as opposed to perfectly smooth dropping of RPM's without the surge/hangup issue. It always falls back to normal RPM's with the AC on OR off, its just that when the AC IS ON, there is a slight hangup on the way down.

The first time I heard it, I broke out in a cold sweat and said "OH GOD what the hell is that?"

Anyone else have any more input?

Sure....i see a short change in the RPMS as soon as I hit the AC button, but things seem to return to normal right away.

My issue seems to be specific to falling RPMS only. No acceleration or idle issues.

It simply hangs up for about one second or less on the way down.

The fact that I only get AC out of the defrost vents also makes this problem annoying at best. When it's 90 degrees out and I have the AC on, I feel like I am in the desert, cooking like a Hot-pocket.

15. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Ready...

Your car is not at optimum.
    Should be no rev hangup with ac on.
    Your ventilator adjustment motor is whacked.
    Air should be vented to wherever you want it vented.

These cars are simple but they use many small parts to make a bigger part...after 20 years things fail....they are precision instruments...not like Datsuns or toyotas, etc.....
    When everything is at optimum they are in the top 10 of greatest sports cars ever made, ever (355).... The trick is getting it all working at optimum all the time!

16. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Solved the problem. A small o-ring leakage in the first joint after the compressor gave a little bit to low pressure and then the compressor load to the engine was a bit to low, giving too high revs of the car. Now it works perfectly as it should again.

17. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Thanks for posting the solution

18. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Can you elaborate, I have the same problem were the idle sometimes stays at around 1200 RPM after decelerating, but I never turn on my AC, so I'm not sure if it's related to AC compressor.

19. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    This sound as something else, if you have not engagd the ac compressor, then there is no extra load to the engine but the idle speed valve seems to get a signal that the ac compressor is engaged.

20. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Yes

Good on you for posting the solution

21. nsalsabah

nsalsabah Rookie

Apr 29, 2014
    Hey,
    Im having the same problem, could you type the part number of the o-ring please?