F1 glitch when leaving light, never seen it before | FerrariChat

F1 glitch when leaving light, never seen it before

Discussion in '348/355' started by Subarubrat, Aug 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was at a light for a few min, the light changed and I went to accelerate. Indicator showed 1 and the car just reved when I gave it gas. I tapped the up shift and it did a stutter with some clutch engagement followed by a sequence on the display (which happened to fast to recall perfectly) that showed an E followed by a countdown from 5 to 1. At that time with traffic behind me I can't recall if it worked on its own or because I quickly hit neutral then into first. It sort of stuttered a few weeks ago but has generally behaved over 2.5 years of ownership.

If it happens again I will try to more accurately recall what happens, anyone seen this before? It seemed as if the throttle and clutch were being run by a confused TCU.

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Could you hear it shifting from 5 down to 1??

3. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Were you on an incline where it may have started to roll back a little?

4. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don't recall if I heard it actually shifting for certain but I think it was just the display. The down shift sound as you approach a light is accented by the mechanical feel of the car and that was missing sitting still but if it happens again I will listen for that.

I was dead flat with my foot on the brake the entire time. And as a second point it didn't beep and go to neutral like if you sit with no pedal input, it kept 1 on the display until I went to accelerate.

5. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine did this twice before it went into shift-problem hell 5 months ago.....

6. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thread? Core issue? Resolution?

7. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I bet it was just one of those one time glitches

8. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine is still unresolved. Been in the shop 5 months now. Shifts to neutral when attempting an upshift. Wish I had a resolution or tip for you guys, but still working on it. No codes ever, just started with this same thing twice, then went into the current mode after a clutch change. New sensors, new actuator, etc, etc.

$10k later, can't drive it. Can't sell it. I visit it once a month or so for old time's sake. Currently hoping for a fire. I sure hope the OP's issues are unrelated to mine, 'cuz it sucks!

9. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Did you replace the TCU?
    Was it diagnosed on an SD2/3?
    Was the gold connector kit done on yours?

10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Ouch. $10k? I hope you have an SD computer attached to it.

Mine did that same thing. It would not hold any gear. Select first and it would kick to neutral.

The previous mechanic had twisted the leads to the trunk latch together. That is a normally closed switch on the latch and those leads need to be open for the ECU to know the trunk is closed.

We opened up the leads and the car shifted just fine.

Hopefully it is something simple like that....best of luck.

11. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes the car is on an SD 1/2 computer. Yes it has a GCK. Yes it has a new clutch. Yes it has new sensors. Yes it has a new pump. Yes we tried a different TCU.

This is why it is frustrating.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Sorry to here that. I think you need a better mechanic but what do I know.

13. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It is bound to be something simple like that, surely?

14. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Got some more observations. Something is defiantly up. I took it for about 200 miles of driving this weekend and saw two notable events. After decelerating to a stop (with the car doing its normal downshifting) in one case it just shifted to neutral on its own right as the wheels stopped and my foot was firmly on the brake, and the other event it showed a flashing 1 after coming to a stop.

15. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Electrical connection of some kind, surely?

16. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have yet to put it up on the lift, but I know I have read somewhere on the forum about sagging motor mounts causing F1 shifting problems and I will be inspecting that area closely. I did a good amount of searching but could not find any threads on the matter, although I know I read such a thing several times. Anyone recall a thread like that?

17. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    A friend of mine had a pinched wire after an engine out that cause similar issues. It took a few times running to shops to finally figure it out. The wire got kinked when they put the engine back in and he started having problems. I have also read about the motor mounts but I forget where that thread was.

18. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
  19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was about to say that I posted this. There should be evidence of the shaft bolt or nut hitting the cross member if this Is actually causing problems . Keep us all posted.

Because the f1 does not really let you feel how the transmission feels while shifting I would suggest you take the actuator off and shift it manually through the gears and see if you can feel something.

20. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The symptoms have gotten much worse and I dont want to risk driving it anymore until I resolve this for fear of being stranded. It has become increasingly difficult to engage reverse and it has missed a few shifts while accelerating, the shifts also feel delayed, like they are taking a long time. I checked out the electrical harness for damage and there was none, the connector was refreshed about a year and a half ago when I did the GCK and everything looks good there. I am starting to think my F1 pump might be dying which would be fine if that was the case as it has a good fix. Putting it up on the lift now to check the motor mounts and I will check the F1 pump prime time after letting it sit overnight.

21. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Scott, do you have the 360 pump conversion yet?

22. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #22 Subarubrat, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I do not but my pump prime time has increased from about 13 seconds to about 15 seconds over the time I have owned the car.

BUT, I am pretty much certain that I have found my problem. I got it up on the lift today and dug into it and found what I am pretty sure is two busted motor mounts letting the F1 contact the crossmember causing these problems. The only thing I don't have handy is another 355 to compare mine to, if those of you out there could give me a sanity check and look at yours or snap a pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    #23 F1moving, Aug 23, 2014
  24. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #24 Subarubrat, Aug 23, 2014
  25. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep, about a half inch distance difference there, thanks!