F355 - What type of headers should i go for? | FerrariChat

F355 - What type of headers should i go for?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Freddan, Aug 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    don´t trust original headers and will switch them for some more realible ones.

What do you recomend? (and why?)

// Fredrik

2. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    What gives you such distrust? Well don't read WebMd, you will never leave the house without being in a vacuum bubble!

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Deal with them when they fail. Don't fix what's not broken.

4. mikster

mikster Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    LA
    Full Name:
    SLOMO
    Mine Failed at about 60K miles

5. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Fabspeed headers have been the more popular replacements.. let me know if you would like Fchat member pricing and to check stock..

6. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    With all respect and kindness...

Gotta love F-chat... not interesting in personal opinion regarding my purchase. just want to know what type of aftermarket headers i should go for - that´s all...

So please - let me spend my Money the way i want.

// Fredrik

7. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik

Thanks!

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    As far as value for your dollar, it is hard (impossible?) to beat Nouvalari. Around half the price of Tubi etc, and a LIFETIME warranty. I have a set, had them ceramic coated at Zircotec in the UK prior to shipping here. I am very happy with them.

Nouvalari Engineering Ltd

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Fabspeed has mandrel bent piping whereas Nouvalari does not. That's a big deal for these things IMO. I would go with fabspeed.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But Nouvalari is 4 -2-1, Fabspeed is 4-1. Another difference to consider.

12. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Very good point, I didn't think of that. But really, how much torque might be lost in not using a 4-2-1 setup with a 3.5l engine? Maybe 5lbs? How much are the nouvalari units anyway?

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Tubi Style, because they are made in Maranello, Italy. :D

(seriously: I'm very interested in this thread as maybe next year i will have to buy one too...)

ciao

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    When I bought mine I was more worried about the sound than a few ft lbs of torque. (You're right of course, the torque difference can't be that much). Honestly, in 2014 the 355's horsepower/performance is hardly earth shattering, so 5 horsepower/torque one way or the other is pretty insignificant to me. It's much more about the experience, and to me, sound plays a big part of that. Supposedly a 4-2-1 has more of the high pitched, high rpm scream compared to a 4-1, and that was the sound I was after. That, plus the price and customer service of Nouvalari won me over. I can't remember exactly what I paid, but it was significantly less expensive than tubi or OEM, and somewhat less than fabspeed I believe. Also, I did buy mine about a year and a half ago so I'm not sure if prices may have changed.

http://youtu.be/rpp6C9UTfFg

http://youtu.be/HKhh9L0yey4

15. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Maybe a naive question, but how then does Nouvalari bend the pipes?

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    With just a vanilla bend die and tube bending machine which means the pipe inner diameter takes a bit at the radius this limiting flow. A mandrel maintains the shape with mandrels which are loaded inside the pipe where the radius is to be so the pipe doesn't lose any shape or diameter. This makes for better flow etc.

17. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    When I looked at Nouvalari's website it didn't seem to mention mandrel bent or otherwise. Did you speak or email with them? Just wondering how the manufacturing approach was obtained.

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I bought a 308 exhaust a while back and immediate noticed they were not mandrel bent. I've never seen 355 headers so I cannot comment with certainty on those, I have only heard they were not mandrel bent.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    355 headers at bottom of page. Click figure to enlarge. It can be seen that they are not mandrel bent. Particularly evident on cylinder 1 tube coming off flange. Nouvalari Engineering Ltd

20. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks.

I'm interested in understanding this more, which is why I keep asking questions. What indicates they aren't mandrel bent - the weld seam, or the sort of "depression" in the pipe where it bends, or something else? I tried looking for ripples but I'm on my fon now and can't get a big enough image to examine closer.

So the net-net of debate here (or maybe "analysis" better characterizes it) if I summarize correctly is the mandrel bent with 4-1 collectors versus jig bent with 4-2-1 collectors and a favorable price. But there is also an added nuance that the sound between both may be different than stock with the Nouvolari being closer to stock.

General consensus seems to be don't replace with new OEM due to price and lack of improvement. And that Tubi changed their materials or design and no longer offers a lifetime warranty so there is no point to the premium cost.

That leaves one other option - a couple of places offering rebuilt OEMs with uprated piping material. I presume these aren't mandrel bent either.

21. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    If you get these, get them powder coated. Mine came to me chromed. They are rusting and Fabspeed has no interest in fixing the problem.

^^^^^ Good point ^^^^^

22. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    #22 VividRacing, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I always highly suggest to having them Ceramic coated in most case include it for my Fchat clients.

Here are some F430's I had done in Polish for another client. We also can do black if requested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    Fabspeed 4-1

Vividracing 4-2-1

nouvalari ?

supersport ?

Tubi ?

24. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Sorry boys; I never thought about this as a sound issue, but traditionally 4-2-1 gives more torque, and 4-1 gives more hp. (Assuming they are balanced properly.)

25. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    That is correct you fill find that that 4-2-1..more net you more torque. 4-1 more top end.