Silver gauge trim | FerrariChat

Silver gauge trim

Discussion in '348/355' started by drbob101, Sep 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    One of the PO of my car attempted to desticky the main gauge surround in the car without disassembling it. In the process they tainted the silver trim rings on the gauges and they had a yellowish tint

I have taken apart the cluster and destickied and coated the surround properly and have the silver rings separated and ready to paint

My question is has anyone done this and if so what color paint did you use? I'm not sure whether it should be a grey or silver.

Thank you

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's silver for sure, not grey. I'm sure any silver rattle can would look great

3. D N M

D N M Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #3 D N M, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Drbob101, Can you share how you safely removed the silver gauge rings? I have a 348 but am planning to de-sticky the center console this fall and want to do it the proper way. My trim around the gauges were from Hill Engineering and they are silver, not gray (see photo) if that helps you make the correct color choice for your 355.
    Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
  6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

Dan I'm not sure on a 348 but on a 355 removing the instrument cowl involves removing two screws at the bottom right and left of the cowl.

At that point you rotate the assembly towards the drivers window and carefully unplug all the connections

You now have it on your work top. Removing the gauges is straight forward in removing the visible screws that hold the gauges to the surround assembly.

Once you have the gauges off the silver rings just separate from them. [​IMG]

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dan, while the trim rings do separate easy, they do have tabs. See the picture Bob posted and you can see the small rectangular slots on the gauge body - the tabs of the trim fit in the slots.

8. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Not to hi-jack this thread but how do you remove the 3 AC vents in the dash? I can see no fasteners. Do they just snap in and out somehow?

9. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    By the way Bob, my rings are original and they are silver. Not a shiny "chrome" like finish, just low luster silver. I agree with Dave, any quality silver paint should be just fine.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Jerry they just snap in and out. The conventional tabs on the side that break off if you aren't prudent. Small spackle tool worked for me. Carefully. By taking off the instrument pod as above you can get at the back of center and left ones for pushing purposes. It helps.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Jerry,

I got really lucky with mine, I don't think they were or are snapped in. They have tabs and if yours are snapped in you will need to insert a blade to get them free - it's a bit risky not to hurt the leather. Hopefully you will be lucky :)

12. D N M

D N M Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks guys, very helpful information! Bob, good luck on the painting

13. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Thanks Bob / Dave.

Are the tabs at the center of each side, maybe 1/2" wide or so? Not being able to see one first, I assume that a small spackle blade like Bob suggested carefully slipped in along one side and prying the tab inward maybe 1/8" will release the vent. I assume it just slips off the duct as it comes out. True?

14. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Finished up the project and it it came out great. I used this paint for the gauge trim if anyone else needs to do this in the future. It doesn't say the color or description on the can but the top is a flat silver color which is the only designation.

The surround is the SEM trim product.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Looks good!! :)

16. D N M

D N M Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The paint job came out nice....... was that a bottle of wine next to the paint can?

17. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Very nice Bob! Looks factory.

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #18 drbob101, Sep 19, 2014
    I removed my center vent and here are some pics and issues with it. Note that there are two larger clips on the top and three smaller ones on the bottom. None on the sides.

I used a dental spatula that I have as shown.

I am going to send this to SNM as I dont have the decals and he did the side ones so they will match as well.

The thing that threw me a bit also was the led. IF you have seen this then you know how it is affixed, if you haven't it sits in a space that is formed by the front and back of the vent unit that appears to be glued together. I posted a pic of the separation of them wedged open with a screw. I pried all around trying to separate the pieces and decided I was going to break it as the glue was not allowing it to come apart. By prying open the one side that was apart i was able to open the space for the led enough to get it out but if yours does not come apart you may have to leave the led in and somehow mask around it for cleaning and painting.

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #19 Dave rocks, Sep 19, 2014
  20. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Bob,

Thanks for the pics. Not having ever done this before, looks like the top two tabs could to be depressed together at the same time from the front with thin flat blades a little narrower than the tabs and then the vent can be tilted forward at the top and pulled up and out off the duct. I suppose the wire connection to the LED would be accessible when its tilted so it could be removed too. I am assuming you don't need to access the back side at all and the vent can be removed entirely from the front. True?

Where are the tabs on the side vents? From Dave's pics, I think I see one on the side near the bottm. Any tips here?

Jerry

21. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    There are no side tabs as I said.

The led has a coupling about 4" back so you can remove the vent with the led installed. I was speaking of removIng the led from the housing as I did so that it won't get mucked up from destickying or painting.

In my case I used that flat spatula on the bottom and lifted the bottom which disengaged the top and it came out. On the upper right the corner was stuck under the leather and had to be finessed to release it. I am sure that every situation will be a bit different, kind of like removing a third molar...oh never mind.

The back side of the vent just sits in its supply plenum. No physical attachment. It just lifts out
    Play around with something like the flat thing I used and see what your vent and leather will allow. Let me know if I can detail further.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

Hey Jerry,

From what I recall, the center vent only has tabs top and bottom. The side vents have tabs on all sides. Here is a video although not very detailed:

Help - Sticky No More

23. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    There is a picture I posted above of the actual vent that showx where the crabs are

As I said twice and is visible in the pic above, there are no sidd tabs.

As I said and the pic above shows, ther are two tabs on the top and three small ones on the bottom

24. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Bonus points to sending center vent to Robbie/SNM.

I sent my 348 vents to him (center and sides) several years ago. 4 or 5 years on now... they look just as good now as the day they came back. The original condition when sent out? Nothing short of shocking. I'm on a tight budget, but that was $$$ so very VERY well spent!

25. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No affiliation... just a very satisfied customer. 8P