Stainless steel rads | FerrariChat

Stainless steel rads

Discussion in '348/355' started by Oengus, Oct 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Anybody replaced them and have pics?

2. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #2 treedee3d, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
  4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

man those are sekkkkky

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Fab how have those rads worked out for you?

Do they have more volume, better coolong?

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I am such a sad excuse for a human. Why do SS rad pictures just look so freakin' cool???

Must have....

7. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

cause ss rules!!

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Until they exploded (about 1 year apart from each other) the OEMs were cooling just fine. My car's temp sits precisely at 190 almost all the time. Replaced 1 passenger side in 2012 and driver side rad in 2013 and all is well. Temp is still consistently at 190.

Perhaps it's a "placebo" effect but I feel much more confident having these 2 rads in the car opposed to the craapp ones from Ferrari. They worked well and did last almost 20 yrs but was so surprised at how they were made.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm not sure it's totally fair to describe rads that lasted 20years as being "craapp"! - There are plenty of BMW owners who would have loved to have had rads last that long!

10. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    I have original rads in my 355.

57,000 miles.

Not a problem whatsoever.
    What's so crap?

11. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Well, obviously I'm biased because they went 1 year apart and even if 20 years old, car only had 15,000 miles.

If it ever happens to you, put the Saldana one that costs 900$ side by side with the OEM plastic 1100$ from Ferrari and you'll feel the same.

12. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Had mine 2 years now and the car does run cooler. Very happy with Saldana rads.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Mileage makes a difference in tires and sometimes brakes. Age is what kills radiators. Most car makers would like to have 20 year radiators.

14. amg55

amg55 Karting

Mar 12, 2013
    LOL @ COMPLAINING ABOUT A RADIATOR BREAKING ON A 20 YEAR OLD CAR. EPIC.

MAYBE IF YOUR CAR DIDNT "SIT" FOR 20 YEARS WITH "ONLY" 15K, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE BUSTED.

15. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Let's get something clear, I am not "complaining" that they broke...

I am "complaining" that the replacements from Ferrari cost 1100$ and are made kinda cheap therefore I reccommended the ones from Saldana which are 900$ and are all aluminium and way better.

And no need for all caps, it's rude and unnecessary. Someone started a thread on rads and I contributed by posting my opinion, advice, experience and photos which is what you're supposed to do in a forum. Please tell us what you think, not about me but about the rads in your Ferrari, how did you fix them? What do you reccommend?

16. amg55

amg55 Karting

Mar 12, 2013
    I write with caps locks; occasionally the key gets stuck or I forget, its not rude...its English and the way I write sometimes, this is a public forum. I do apologize that it is unnecessary from your perspective.

I reread your posts,

I do agree that the Ferrari ones are expensive. I have a f355 with high miles right now that has never had any radiators replaced. When cars sit, things erode. These cars are old now. Mercedes Benz radiators are lucky if they make it to 15 years, sediment clogs radiators and cooling capacity is greatly reduced. Coolant turns acidic when not changed often and the problem is worse when the car sits with low mileage use.

I do like the aluminum ones you did from Saldana, I think it is a much better replacement for the money, thank you for the recommendation. I for one do not agree with some of the "ferrari tax" on these items which is why I did my own engine belt service, header weld instead of replace, engine mount change, gearbox leak repair, suspension repairs, aftermarket brake pads, interior leather dye instead of expensive replacement that goes bad again, goo gone instead of stickynomore, SDL elmination with 1.5 v signals, bypass pipes, porsche valve replacement instead of the $1000 dollar ferrari one, and the list goes on and on. I bought my car for low price and I could never fathom paying $1100 for a radiator.

I will probably try to have the rad recored by a local radiator shop or have a custom fab job like the one from Saldana if it becomes an issue. I read that one guy actually used a stick of jb weld on the joint to stop a leak, that I may pass on although I am DIY guy.

These cars pack alot of heat and things are under a ton of stress. They are race cars that are unfortunately needy from time to time. I drove the car daily for a few months without any problems. When it sits problems arise. That happens with every brand marque however.

17. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Anyone who installed these Aluminum radiators from Saldana racing. And if so can you see a noticeable improvement i.e. is the car running cooler? Please share, thanks.

18. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    temp is the same...for me, my car is precise like a clock at 190 and stayed that way even with both Saldana rads installed.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Why would you expect lower temps? Thermostat set low temp. Fans control max temp within limits. Under extreme conditions where fans can keep temp below 190 then maybe there would be some effect.

ShineKen likes this.
  20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Corrected. As far as I am aware nobody makes stainless steel radiators.
    Pete

21. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Very true....engines have a min/max ideal operating temp....you don't want to go over or under. Our race car cooling systems are designed to keep the engine operating temps within those specs.......you can over build a cooling system which cost not only more $$$ but also adds unnecessary weight; and the benefits of this overbuild????? NONE!!!

It is all about cooling efficiency....what good does it do to have coolant at 190 deg if the heat build up in engine/components is not being transferred properly into the coolant system...believe it or not this was a major issue with the Porsche 917 (especially the 917/30) which is an air cooled engine.....we could not use conventional cylinder liners and wound up coating the AL cylinders with what is now known as Nikasil. Even though we were turning our gear driven fan at 2% below the speed of sound we could not extract the heat from the cylinders using a steel cylinder lining....however it did produce a nice lump of melted aluminum..lol

22. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    #22 albert328gts, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    So the only advantage from the OEM plastic ones is they are better built and slightly more cost effective?

23. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    They are night and day....when you put them side-by-side.

The Oem ones may do the job but they look flimsy and,in my case, both rads cracked on the edge tubing which seems to be plastic, not the rad itself.

No way the Saldana ones would ever crack there, ever.

24. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They look to be very nicely made.

25. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California