AC control box | FerrariChat

AC control box

Discussion in '348/355' started by [email protected], Oct 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbourbeau@msn.com

Jun 25, 2014
    Fl.
    Full Name:
    Dave bourbeau
    Anyone know where I might find an AC control box new, thank you

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Just in case, just in case.... are you aware of the "hidden fuse" in the front luggage compartment of the 348 that controls power to the AC module? If this fuse burns out, or simply melts in its holder due to excessive current draw, you get no operation of the climate control system, and no readout on the module (or the clock). VERY common on the 348.

It's also possible for the multi-pin gang plug on the back of the AC module to simply unplug itself if the tabs aren't secured.

I seem to remember from years ago that 348 climate control modules were already in very short supply.

3. FerrariDenmark

FerrariDenmark Karting

Aug 12, 2009
    Denmark
    What errors do you have - cleaning the inside multi-pins made mine operate again

4. dbourbeau@msn.com

Jun 25, 2014
    Fl.
    Full Name:
    Dave bourbeau
    My control box was working fine, I pushed the car to 7000 rpm and the control box started flashing. I shut the car down, and it came back to life. If it go's down completely I want to know if there's a replacement. I will clean the pin plug, thank you

5. tc348

tc348 Rookie

Jan 6, 2009
    Mine has gone bad. Last year put in a new fuse and holder at the suggestion of my mechanic. Worked great until recently. Checked/replaced fuse, cleaned plug and connections with fine wire brush and electronic cleaner, no avail. I called Ricambi and was told part no longer available.
    Is there someone who could rebuild the mother board. According to Ricambi, it is becoming a common problem.
    tc348

6. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    I've been through mine quite a bit, and had just about every issue in the book. I can say with confidence that most of the issues with these units are power delivery (i.e. the hidden fuse) or the connectors, either from the harness to the unit or the board to board connector internal to the unit.

In some cases, it isn't enough to clean the connectors and you need to find a way to compensate for the worn contacts, such as re-tinning or replacing the connectors. This requires some delicate soldering, but nothing you can't accomplish with patience.

7. tc348

tc348 Rookie

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanks, I will keep digging.

8. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    A few years back mine was acting up regularly, and I was on a similar search. I found a company that was selling a "rebuild service" on ebay for the 348 units. I bookmarked them for future reference.

My problem turned out to be a spotty connection at the harness in the back of the unit (as already mentioned).

In any case, you might want to contact these guys and see if they still offer this service:

Automotive Scientific Inc. Your #1 Source for ECU, TCU, ABS, EBCM, Climate Control and Speedometer Repairs

I would be curious to know, as it seems like finding a spare unit would be extremely expensive, once one is found... and even that I suspect could take a LONG time.

Last time I saw one on ebay, the asking price was $3000. I believe it was a "spare" that Daniel had, if I recall correctly. I trust the Ricambi America folks for reasonable and fair prices, so if that was Daniel's price, I can only imagine how much other folks would ask for one of these "out in the wild."

9. dbourbeau@msn.com

Jun 25, 2014
    Fl.
    Full Name:
    Dave bourbeau
    Thanks guy's I'll call ASI in the AM and let you know if there still repair these panels.

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    PM sent to you, Dave.

11. tc348

tc348 Rookie

Jan 6, 2009
    Good news. While I have been unable to repair, Automotive Scientific Inc., as referred by Shaide, will test and repair for $489.
    I am getting power to the unit, as I used a multimeter and continuity test, and therefore assume it must be in the control unit. May be the connectors. But I do not feel confident about putting a solder iron on a $4000.00 piece of equipment, if you could find one. This service will be good news to all the 348 & 355 owners who will eventually experience this problem. Thank you Shaide for the lead. Terry