Driving a 348/355 to a Ferrari Meet | FerrariChat

Driving a 348/355 to a Ferrari Meet

Discussion in '348/355' started by RaginBull, Oct 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    What is the general attitude of newer FCar owners towards vintage FCars at Ferrari meets? Any love or is there an obvious class separation?

2. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I can tell you from my experiences here in the UK that I have never encountered any class separation at all. My first Ferrari was a 1987 Mondial 3.2 in immaculate condition and was constantly praised and admired by many owners of all different models. I attended many events.
    I now have a 1993 348ts and just recently attended the Ferrari Racing Days here in the UK at Silverstone and was in a huge convoy and everyone was passionate, enthusiastic and on the same wavelength. There was a Ferrari only parking area and so many owners and enthusiastic people looking at all models and appreciating them for what they are.
    I was even interviewed by an Italian tv station called Rai Uno about my car.

I have been on this forum for some time now and is upsetting to see how people bash others cars in the US all the time. It just doesn't happen here in the UK. Sad really.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If there is a class separation, it has nothing to do with the type of vehicle you drive and everything to do with the individual.

4. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
  5. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    That's great to hear. I brought this up because I do recall hearing stories of guys driving 308's to meets and not being acknowledged by newer FCar owners since they were inexpensive (this was back in 2006 - 2007). I was just curious if that were still the case today.

6. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
    In our driving club, we have a mix of older and newer Ferraris and everyone is appreciative of each others cars. There will always be love for the 308 and 328. It does come down to the driver if he/she will get along with others and isn't about the cars. Overall I find the Ferrari community I've met and mostly the Stoogies, the best group of folks I've met.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I agree it mostly has to do with the indvidual not the Ferrari community as a whole. Anyone with newer model "X" who looks down on anyone else because they have "Older model Y" doesn't get it.. life that is:)

This happens in all the car realms to some degree, but for the most part its a very small percentage.

8. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Funny how things have turned around now that 308 and 328 are beyond reasonable cost for many people at least here in the UK. Good ones are as much as a 430 now.
    Just look at the 246gt Dino, once not considered a true Ferrari and the cheap alternative and spiraling in cost every day now.
    All down to the individual. I love them all and each time I see ANY Ferrari I admire it and want to speak to the driver:)

9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
  10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    [​IMG]

In my experience so far I haven't experienced any of that.

In the midst of 308s to 458s etc, this guy joins our ride to Montauk last year and parks next to me at the end of the ride.

That kind of sets another class level. 😉

So those that enjoy the marque in my experience have been gracious.

11. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've only made it to a few local events in my 348, but I truly feel that the rest of the crowd went out of their way to make me feel welcome each and every time. Much of that credit goes out to another FChatter and long standing local chapter FCA president for establishing such a welcoming and all inclusive culture for club events... but mostly I think people will naturally welcome those that share a passion, hobby, or interest.

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Wish it was better here.
    Too much My way is the right way. Appreciate things for what they are and you will be a happier person

:)

13. s52

s52 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    East Bay
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yup I remember many years ago going to the start of the Gumball 3000 in San Francisco. I was in my E30 325is and was ridiculed by a few people there in their exotics lol Didn't phase me i just shrugged it off but was a pretty ******y move... I was 16 what did they expect!

14. awacsdavid

awacsdavid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    OKC, OK
    Full Name:
    Dave H.
    I went to a local car show last night and my 1998, 355 was the only F-Car there. But it was also the oldest car there. The next oldest was a 2005.
    My little 'ol 1998 355 F1 Spider stole the show. People were walking past new Corvette Z06s to look at my car. It was pretty cool to experience. Most has very wonderful things to say.

15. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Any newer model owner who turns his or her nose up at the older cars is clearly an ignorant Johnny-come-lately who is most likely only at the meet (and driving a Ferrari) to show off and pump up a fragile ego. Or just a pure snot who really doesn't get it. Anything but a true enthusiast. Don't sweat those idiots, they aren't worth even that much effort.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    82589 had better be welcome everywhere, or they will have to answer to me!! :)

For the most part I think that any 'class issues' are figments of imagination. I hate to see people in this section putting their cars down and calling them the red headed stepchild, I get really upset. The 348 and 355 are great Ferraris and deserved to be treasured and enjoyed. I have had guys show up to events in 348s and say, "I just have a 348, is it OK that I'm here"? I have to enthuse about the car and tell them that I had a 348 for 20 years and loved it, before I get a wry smile.

There is no 'class' problem unless you make one. If someone acts like a jerk, he probably has an inferiority complex himself and his using a car to pump himself up. He's probably just a jerk anyway. Ain't worth the time!

17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Hehe, so far no one has said, "oh, it's just a 348." Especially no one who has gone for a ride :)

In fact, at one show I attended with the 348, the 80s/90s cars received really nice attention. A pretty modded 348 spider won people's choice!

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "Because they were inexpensive"? Are you sure that's what you read/heard? lol

19. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for all the responses everyone, glad to hear that the general experience is positive. Looking forward to buying my 348!

20. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Back in 2006 the 308's dropped down to $25K. $25k in relation to a newer Ferrari would have been considered inexpensive :D

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You're missing my point i.e. what you paid for your Ferrari is of no consequence, nor does it make it any less... of a Ferrari.

However, a free Ferrari from Daddy is less expensive than yours. ;)

22. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Lol good one!

23. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I've been to a number of car shows this past year where you see all the GTR's the Aventadors, the newer cars getting all the photos taken of them and posted on the event sites. The older cars barely a mention. While part of my ego this bothers, I just shrug it off.

The other enthusiasts who are there have never publicly put down my 348 and like others have said.. if they do, they aren't really an enthusiast and aren't worth my breath.

24. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a Testarossa, and I admit that I have seen a bit of clique-ish behavior at Ferrari gatherings, but the division isn't not along the F car model, it's more along the lines of rich poseurs vs the car enthusiasts. Therefore, I wouldn't worry much. In fact, some of my best car conversations have been with car people who have 430s and 458s. We swap war stories and learn about each others' cars.