Compression numbers | FerrariChat

Compression numbers

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355GTB6Speed, Nov 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355GTB6Speed

F355GTB6Speed Karting

May 22, 2014
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Christos
    I'm on my flight to Texas for PPI and purchase, could you guy please let me know what are typical compression numbers? Are any cylinders more prone to fail than others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

should be 210 is across the board ish

3. joshtownsend

joshtownsend Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2007
    H-town...TEXAS
    haha on a brand new ringed motor..

Anything 160 or above.. And its really not the number..it the percent that the cly are difference then each other..

There are several ways to do it, so how ever they do it on the first one, that's how they need to do it though out the test.. You can get all the number within specs if you keep turning the motor over for a period of time.

He is my comp test and results.. 355 will be somewhat similar.. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/459555-joshtownsends-1992-348-engine-out-service-maintenance-thread.html

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #5 johnk..., Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  6. F355GTB6Speed

F355GTB6Speed Karting

May 22, 2014
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Christos
    Do you do it wet or dry? Do you put a bit of oil in the cylinder?

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Compression test should be done with engine warm, no oil, throttle wide open. If numbers are low or inconsistent a little oil can be added to cylinders. If results come out the same this would indicate a probably valve problem. If numbers get better with oil the problem is typically with rings.

8. F355GTB6Speed

F355GTB6Speed Karting

May 22, 2014
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Christos
    #9 F355GTB6Speed, Nov 22, 2014
    Guys please help!!!
    I have spend $1500 on trip and PPI and we are getting all the cylinders around 150-160 but one is at 60 psi and another one 125 psi.

Their Ferrari tech couldn't find his snap on tool and came with a harbor freight compression check tool, that's why I'm wondering if something could be up due to the gauge - but all the cylinders have good repeatability.

For leak down he had a snap on tool and measured 35% across all the cylinders.

The car runs strong and the engine doesn't seem to have have unusual issues.

How is it possible to have good leak down and bad compression?
    This is a 97 with 31 thousand miles that had a major less than 1000 miles ago 1,5 year ago and passed Leak-down and compression (back then).

The car is overall really nice

9. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If all are 150 at least they r consistent and makes me think the gauge is bad. But how bad. All we know they r consistent but would a good gauge show 200 or 175 consistently? Invest the $ and go get a good gauge either snap on or napa I would not use hb for this job. U r already on location

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    it is not the gauge. The motor has one or two bad cylinders. Likely valves.

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

The Harbor fright compression tool has NO shrader valve the connection that goes into the spark plug, it is upstream at the guage. This will give a lower reading 150-165 normal for a good motor
    A proper compression guage will read 225
    I have almost every make model design compression and leakdown tester and have compared them

Snap on leakdown 35% is not good at all, car needs valve guides at mimimum, Leakdown should be less then 10%

These are common numbers for a engine that needs guides and possibly new valves @ 30K miles

If they said it passed a compression leakdown 1500 miles ago I would says it BS, sorry

Would you have the last smog test results? I can see from that how healthy the motor is also

Hope this helps

Are you in LA? I can stop by if you are

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I just saw you are in Texas

Average cost to do that fix on the car 7-10K negotiate a price accordingly Also please post the serial number so no one gets scammed if you pass on the car

13. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Tim is RIGHT ON in his comments about the leak down tests. I just had a leakdown test on my car and they were all within 1-3%. 35 % is way off. Be careful.

14. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    $1,500 is very steep for a PPI

15. F355GTB6Speed

F355GTB6Speed Karting

May 22, 2014
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Christos
    Guys the green section in the snap on tool was between 0-40, the there was the orange section and after that the red. So maybe I'm wrong and it meant 3.5% instead of 30. This number was consistent in all the cylinders.

Compression was vastly different in only one cyclinder reading between 60-90. Regardless of the gauge shouldn't that show that there is problem?

16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

$1500 and not the proper tool??

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I think he said trip and PPI (hopefully).

18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #19 SoCal1, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #20 Robb, Nov 22, 2014
    PPI portion normally runs $350 to $550 with test. Thoughts on what others have paid?

I try to arrange PPI first remotely, and then fly out if all checks out. No real wrong answer though. Just what has worked for me.

A lot of good knowledge here.

Fingers crossed for you.

Robb

20. joshtownsend

joshtownsend Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2007
    H-town...TEXAS
    Get back on the plane and go home.. a $1500 ticket is a lot better then a $15000 mistake.. or more

21. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

I hope..

22. F355GTB6Speed

F355GTB6Speed Karting

May 22, 2014
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Christos
    Yes guys PPI was $500 but flight and hotel etc

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If the compression numbers are good at 160 and two cylinders much lower, at least 2 cylinders have some serious problems. But you need to also find out why the other 6 are at 160. That is too low for a correctly done test on a decent engine. Was the test done with the throttle plates closed? Was the gage off? As for the leak down, 35% is like a fist size hole in a bucket. You state maybe it was 3.5%. Well, that also seems unlikely as 3.5% would be a number that would be representative of a freshly built engine after the rings were seated.

In summary, either the guy doing the compression and leak down tests doesn't know what he is doing or the engine needs work.

What did the guy doing the PPI say?

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Even a bad 355 sounds good. They will even fool owners until they get a taste of a really good 355. That motor does not run strong at all if those numbers are right.