Great, Great, Great Day on the 355 phone | FerrariChat

Great, Great, Great Day on the 355 phone

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Dec 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Part 1.

So it was a great day on the phone...

I emailed a couple of people last night with some questions on the detailed history on my car. I am obviously trying to get it as complete as possible and fill in any blanks on owners, it's travels, and life.

I talked to one of my car's previous owners this morning out of Denver. I found him yesterday after another search and talking to local owners in Colorado. He was the car's third owner. He bought the car from Ferrari of Denver with about 14,000 miles on the clock around '04. The car spent the majority of its life in Colorado and being serviced at FOD. That owner had a history of Ferrari's dating back to two new 308's - one Rosso Corsa GTB and one Grigio GTB. Over time, he upgraded and sold the older cars for a new one every few years. He then bought a 328 GTS in Rosso Corsa.

He upgraded to my 355 after the 328. He had the 355 for a couple of years and 3-4k miles. He has great memories of the time with all his F-car's and in particular spending time with his son in the 355. I think I may have even seen his / my car back in the day with my young son while at the biggest car show of the year there. Crazy how things come around.

He traded the 355 back into Ferrari of Denver for a very low mile Red / tan 360. This was his last Ferrari.

He opted for Porsche's after that, primarily with 911 turbo's. He was always concerned with "putting too many miles" on the F-cars though, in case of wanting to upgrade later, so his ownership was always a bit less fulfilled looking back. He felt that by going with Porsche, he could drive them forever with a guilt-free conscience. Nothing against his mindset - it can happen to any of us with the care we take with the Ferrari's.

And to show that I am a pretty unbiased guy in my reporting... I will include that this owner, after all of those cars, thought that the 360 was his favorite of the bunch because of all the updating. He did think the 360 had a bit more grunt down low which sealed it for him.

But here is the GREAT, GREAT, GREAT kicker...

During his ownership, he added a tubi exhaust to my car that I still enjoy today and the black challenge grill - which I also love with the Giallo Modena Paint. AND - he still has the yellow solid painted grill in his garage... AND he is giving it to me to keep with the car.! How's that for a great barn find from the past? :)

I'm sending my son, who is still in Denver, to pick it up this weekend. I love the challenge grill, but also like the prospect of having the ability for a 100% original car - as delivered from the factory - always.

Part 2 up next.

Robb

2. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    #2 F1moving, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Awesome Robb. Lucky you. Good karma all around!

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Nice story and nice to get the rear grill ;)

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Nice story, Robb. I'm sure you're happy to know that your car's original owner is a true gentleman.

Barry

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Barry,

This was the third owner. But yes, I am finding all of my Berlinetta and my brother's GTs owners are great guys.

Robb

7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yes Rob.

Good karma explains a lot. Always good to pay it forward.

Robb

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks Tom. Thumbs up on perseverance... :)

Robb

9. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I think I've heard, "It's the people." once or twice. These are fun searches, and when they pay of, it IS a triple great day.

10. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Robb, I've got two yellow factory rear panels. All you had to do was ask. ;)

Either way, you can pick up a second when you come visit this summer for the photo shoot. :)

11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Luke - you rock!!!

But it would not have been "the one"...! I kid.

I am looking to make a bee-line to get your car shot with the capitol behind it - if others can't throw "something at the wall" to see what sticks in the Photo Shoot Contest thread. :)

If you win, then I can just pretend my car went to DC!... :) :) :)

Hilarious.

Robb

12. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I'll just add that if you make the trip, I will make sure that every 348 and 355 in the DC area are included in our drive and photo shoot.

Heck... We might even be able to get Dr. Bob, Dave and F1 moving to make the journey. I know I'm forgetting others too. We can make it a mid Atlantic 348/355 meet!

13. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So Part 2...

Got an email back from Andy Anderson at Ferrari of Denver. I was missing 3 "warranty /recall" service records on my car from other authorized dealers and 3 from FOD for other smaller odds and ends like a replaced battery and adding that challenge grill.

FYI - a mint challenge grill was $1100 in 2005...

So Andy was kind enough to email me a pdf of the three minor visits by the car over my breakfast. The car was primarily maintained 95% of its life at Ferrari of Denver. I already had a thick stack of records from Andy in my binder so this makes the service work from FOD all done. Like 4 major services and lots of odds and ends. And those valve guides replaced. Great to always see that on a '95.

Andy will be moving to my old neighborhood home turf of Ferrari of Houston. So I thanked him profusely and told him to expect something when he landed at the new place.

Thank you Andy for your assistance.

Robb

14. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Part 3....

I called Russell Bastian, the service advisor at Ferrari of Scottsdale, to track down the 3 warranty/recall service receipts from dealers other than Ferrari of Denver.

Russell tracked down the service work to Ferrari of Austin, TX and Ferrari of Beverly Hills.

My car made the trek coast to coast being delivered in Boston and then heading to Austin, Los Angeles, Denver, Angel Fire NM, and then back to Denver before my purchase and bringing it to AZ.

I got some pricing from Russell on new fob's for my brother's '97 355 GTS and some other smaller parts. Dave Rocks had it nailed on fob replacement - 5 to 7 weeks. Glad my pin code checks out... We'll also get a couple of keys cut in only... 2 to 3 weeks

So waiting on the Dmv on the title / registration then we'll set up an order and appt.

I thanked Russell for connecting me to the final missing service tickets on the warranty / recall / service work in '97, '98, and '99 - the last pieces to my OCD complete service records.

I was able to cross-check these dates with my CARFAX report and the dealer confirmed the dates and records out there. Thank you CARFAX and thank you Russell Bastian at Ferrari of Scottsdale.

Robb

15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Part 4...

Called a service advisor at Ferrari of Beverly Hills. Didn't get her name, but unfortunately she could not find that my car was EVER serviced there. Suggested I call Auto Gallery or Orange County.

Called Orange County and that service advisor was very helpful and confirmed that yes the car was serviced for warranty work / catalytic converter and brakes at Ferrari of BH. But he could not print a record of the work. He could only see the codes that it was indeed done at the Beverly Hills dealership. So I will try some other back channels of those who know the right people at FBH.

Thank you much to Ferrari Newport Beach / Orange County.

Robb

16. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Part 5....

I gave Winslow Mankin, the service advisor a call at Ferrari of Austin looking for the last two records in the way beginning life of the car.

Winslow was out of state on business but the someone in parts took my call and listened to what I was after. He called md back after having a look at the computer records.

He was able to verify two services there but was not able to see full details or print.

I didn't catch his name - Maybe Carl - but he was a riot. He had me laughing about all sorts of Austin and Phoenix trivia...

He promised to find the records and left a big note for Winslow. Hopefully that will put the nail in complete service records from all corners.

Thank you Carl and Winslow at Ferrari of Austin.

Robb

17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It looks like you've been very productive today, Robb! The brief reports at the Ferrari dealerships are very valuable for your car's service history.

My Challenge car's service history goes back to 2007. I know I can go back even further but the last two major services (2008 and 2014) have been done at Classic Coach and so I'm content to take it from there.

Classic Coach has pictures of when my car was brought there to repair damage sustained during the time it competed in the Challenge Series. But the photographs were taken before they went digital and are archived in Classic's attic. One day I'll go up there to retrieve them. In those days, Classic Coach had a night shift to accommodate the Challenge cars brought there during the racing season.

Barry

18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Part 6...

Called IFS near Boston in trying to locate a license plate frame from the original Gaston Andrey of Framingham Ferrari Dealer.

They think they can help me out and will give me a call back with a good candidate.

Thank you John Tirrell at IFS.

Robb

19. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Barry,

I am your biggest fan! Great stories! It would be great to scan those photos for your Binders (plural) :)

Robb

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Part 7, 8, and 9 will have to wait until Later this week

Great stuff from:
    7. tracking down owner number 2. Another TIFOSI...
    8. the owner of the original Ferrari dealership that delivered the car,
    9. the sales manager that took the order for my car from the (now deceased) original owner.

The sales manager thinks he still has the original build sheet used for the order

Amazing stuff - stay tuned.

Robb

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #21 308 GTB, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Robb,

I've got a pretty good scanner at my office, the Epson Expression 1680. I'd love to retrieve those prints. Their attic was stiffling hot in the summer and there were a few hundred boxes of prints to go through. After looking through ten of them I called it quits but "bookmarked" where I left off. Now that it's getting cold, the attic will be far more habitable. ;)

Here's a podium shot of my car at Road Atlanta in 1995. It's got some right rear quarter panel damage...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Andy from FoD is super cool - he sent me missing records from my 95

23. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Road trip! I owe Daverocks a **** ton of drinks anyhow! That story in a upcoming thread.

24. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Guys, while I'd love to connect, it's not likely that I will take my car on an 8 hour trip ;)

25. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Ship it!!