F 355 driver side fan not working . | FerrariChat

F 355 driver side fan not working .

Discussion in '348/355' started by ready321now, Dec 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    I blew a fan fuse once a few months ago. I just checked it again and it is fine. I guess this means my fan is shot? Anyone been through this before and is it easy enough to change one in your own??

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you start blowing fuse, replace your fan. It is getting old an sucks up too much current. It will get worse with much worse ramifications.

Get a Spal fan. It is very doable as a DIY with some simple tools.

3. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Weird...it kicked back on again in the garage . But again...is not working. I switched the fan relays. I thought that fixed it but no...so now my drivers side fan is intermittent. What the hell it just kicked back on again. My car is possessed.

Perhaps this is me witnessing a fan in its death throws? I never noticed the other fan kick on until today. Thats when I noticed the driver's side fan seemed "missing".

4. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Very easy. Just R & R'd to install the fan shroud from goth.

1. Jack up left rear corner of car and remove wheel. (Refer to Dave Rocks guide on jacking)

2. Remove inner fender liners. 10 small Philips head screws with washers and 3 larger Phillips head screws with washers. There is also one nut with a washer underneath the car.

3. The fan will now be exposed, simply remove 4 nuts holding fan in place. Unplug the connector and the fan is out.

Consider gothspeed fan shroud on the reinstallation.

5. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Im going to look that up. I believe that the 16 incher I just gotta figure out which one. I'm taking your word for it that it's a relatively simple job but from the looks of it it looks like hell. I guess I'm going to have to get the car up on a lift?for what I just access it from the top down?
    preciate the feedback

6. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Mitchell replaced mine with P/N 30102050 (do any of the other ones work?). Fully sealed motor. Funny though, when you go to the SPAL USA website you can't click to that part. The P/N must be entered manually.

Jack up the rear, remove rear wheels, remove plastic wheel shrouds. The fans are right there.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 LT29i 發送

7. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Yep. Its def on its way out. It just came back on for a split second then nothing....then the other fan kicked on. Damn.

8. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the great amount of helpful info!

9. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    You know what's strange about this? When my driver side fan decides to come on for some reason today it is consistently coming on at a higher temperature than it normally does. For example normally it comes on JUST PAST the 12 o'clock. Now it seems to be coming on just after the 1 o'clock position and the passenger side cycles first now. I'm getting a little confused here.

10. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    First check your water and make sure its not low.If its low your fan will kick in later.
    Second before you replace your fan you may have a problem with your sensor.
    Cross the sensor with a wire first if your fan stays on steady? then you have a problem with the sensor if your water is up to par.

11. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    the-fan-man.com is where I got mine. Price is cheap amd it's a spal.

12. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Nice. I think I'm going to check the water level again and see what's going on there. Then I'm going to drive it and see things go back to normal regarding the temperature the fans kick on. If I happen to blow a second fuse soon I'm just going to yank the fan immediately. I blew the first fuse 3 or 4 months ago. The fan worked fine yesterday, was weird today and I guess we will see what happens tomorrow. I think it might be time for a new battery and a fan. Keeping my eye on voltage issues too after a dead battery a week ago. Everything has been fine since then though, battery wise. Gonna load test that sucker.

13. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey

You're the man. Thanks brother.

14. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry i ment to say run a wire between your sensor plug.I think you know what i ment but still had to put it out there.The sensor plug is very easy to get at,its on the top of the rad.

15. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    ready321now,

If you find your fan is the culprit (check the sensor first like tr512 says, its in the top of the LH radiator), be sure to replace it with the lower current version. That will save your fuse box from any meltdowns in the future. I replaced both of mine with these and they cool exactly the same as the older higher current OEM fans.

16. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What i did with both my TR and 355 is i wired both fans with two relays off the sensor to one of the three main power wire's right rear, so both my fans come on and off at the same time,plus i dont have to worry about my fuse box now.One more thing that i think is kind of cool is that if my car is real warm when i shut it off my fans will stay on for 30 seconds to cool down the motor even with the key off,because i used direct power.

17. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Exactly what happened to my left fan. And my right fan was already dead. Life in the fast lane!

It had only blown its fuse; the fan did not completely die. But I replaced both fans and, preemptively, all the coolant temp sensors. And the fuses (do not put in bigger fuses--why would anyone do that??).

18. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have to admit I'm not really sure how to accomplish testing this. I do not have much electrical experience and bought my first voltmeter within the last year. So I would run a wire from where to where and check it how? I must admit I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing with this stuff.

19. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Remove the plug from the sensor and run a wire from side to side of the plug.Make sure your key is on.

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    There's a couple threads on this.
    I'm a fanman too. I went the less amp version not listed on his site, but he had no problems getting it. My thread mentions the plug fits, but there's no slot/hitch to lock the wire plugs into place, but tie-ties work fine.

21. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Thanks!

22. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Many 355s are having the same problem. If you are blowing fuses, change the fan out right away or you will end up having a fuse box problem which not too many know what goes on in there. Except that the fan on the drivers side short cycles a lot. Dave Helms is the man that understands this but he is no longer on here.

23. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    #23 Big Lebowski, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My left rad fan blew a fuse recently for the first time and the fuse box was beginning to show some troubling signs under the relays. Both fans are being replaced with Spal units.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just because your stereo blows a fuse do you go and replace the stereo right away?He said he blew a fuse ..check the fan to see if it works,then you can check to see how many amps the fan draws,If close to 30amps then replace the fan.Have you not all had some fuse at one time blow in your car for whatever reason? Did you go and replace that part right away. From what i read he said it blew one time then it was o/k but the fan was not coming on,and when it did it was late.

25. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    All common signs of a fan drawing too much load. The fact that it is now cycling funny is also a sign that his fuse box has trouble because of the fan. I will bet that during the life of that fan, more than one fuse was blown.